Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel consumption

Hi... I was wondering what kind of fuel consumption should I be getting from my 2006 S40 2.4i. This car is new to me and I just got to drive it after a few major repairs. For the most part I filled it up to 14 gallons but only got 275 miles out of it. 75% highway driving. I took it easy on the car, and I think I should be getting a bit more out of it don't you think?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

That seems low, but there are SO many variables, including the definition of "highway driving" and "around-town" driving. I seem to get right around 20mpg "around town", but live in the flat(ish) Phoenix east valley, and a lot of that driving is on freeways with a 65mph speed limit. On a recent 7,000 mile road trip (probably 80% true highway miles) I got right at 28mpg, and just under 29mpg on the highway legs only (yes, I kept the gas receipts and entered them all into a spreadsheet). That's really pretty impressive given that "it's a wagon", "it's an automatic", and that I probably averaged around 80mph on the highway legs (lots of 75- and 80mph speed limits out west and across Texas).

OTOH, the apogee of my trip is Manhattan, where I'd be thrilled beyond words to get 20mpg (most of which is driving around my daughter's hilly north Manhattan neighborhood looking for a parking place (aka "unicorn"). ;-)

And there's the issue of driving style. My wife consistently gets much lower mileage than I do, driving the same car in the same area. She's not got a lead foot, but just isn't quite as smooth as I am.

If your mileage is lower than it should be, the first place to look is at the low-hanging fruit. Put in a new air cleaner element "just because". Even if that only improves your mileage a tiny bit, it'll pay for itself in no time. Check the operation of your PCV valve / system (read up on that to see how). Maybe run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the tank (I personally like Seafoam, but don't put too much faith in many claims of many of the cleaners). And of course, it can't hurt to consider new spark plugs - if it's been a while (as in 50,000 miles) it's another low cost / high return maintenance item.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
That seems low, but there are SO many variables, including the definition of "highway driving" and "around-town" driving. I seem to get right around 20mpg "around town", but live in the flat(ish) Phoenix east valley, and a lot of that driving is on freeways with a 65mph speed limit. On a recent 7,000 mile road trip (probably 80% true highway miles) I got right at 28mpg, and just under 29mpg on the highway legs only (yes, I kept the gas receipts and entered them all into a spreadsheet). That's really pretty impressive given that "it's a wagon", "it's an automatic", and that I probably averaged around 80mph on the highway legs (lots of 75- and 80mph speed limits out west and across Texas).

OTOH, the apogee of my trip is Manhattan, where I'd be thrilled beyond words to get 20mpg (most of which is driving around my daughter's hilly north Manhattan neighborhood looking for a parking place (aka "unicorn"). ;-)

And there's the issue of driving style. My wife consistently gets much lower mileage than I do, driving the same car in the same area. She's not got a lead foot, but just isn't quite as smooth as I am.

If your mileage is lower than it should be, the first place to look is at the low-hanging fruit. Put in a new air cleaner element "just because". Even if that only improves your mileage a tiny bit, it'll pay for itself in no time. Check the operation of your PCV valve / system (read up on that to see how). Maybe run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the tank (I personally like Seafoam, but don't put too much faith in many claims of many of the cleaners). And of course, it can't hurt to consider new spark plugs - if it's been a while (as in 50,000 miles) it's another low cost / high return maintenance item.
Thanks for the reply. Here in ST louis MO we got come hills but my comute to work is all highway driving no faster then 70 mp/h.. I am getting right around 20 mp/g combined. I get almost the same with my V8 F150 that is a lot heavier.

Sorry to ask but what exacly is a new “air cleaner element” ?

i will do some research on the pcv valve system operation. I got the pcv oil trap and all hoses replaced with a new one two weeks ago. My crank case has a slight negative preassure but I read that is normal??

I allready burned through two cans of seafoam (one on every fill-up) and my last tank I put in Premium gassoiline.

allready replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, and throttle body.. tires have the right PSI in them. Could my fuel injectors be bad? I brought this car from a person who had it sitting in his driveway for almost 2 years.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

You should be getting 25 or more with 75% highway in the flatlands. Do you notice any reduced power or misfires say when accellerating to highway speeds?

When my son mentioned our 2000 S40 was getting poor mileage I replaced the plugs, coil packs and the wire harness to the coils and that got the car back to full power and 25+ MPG.

You should check/replace the air filter (aka the "air cleaner element" is inside the clip covers on the intake box) but I'd be surprised if you had a bad injector without some other symptoms ie one plug that keeps fouling, long cold starts, misfires etc. Any other symptoms? You may need to do some other investigations like testing for fuel pressure, engine compression if there's no other symptoms.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
You should be getting 25 or more with 75% highway in the flatlands. Do you notice any reduced power or misfires say when accellerating to highway speeds?

When my son mentioned our 2000 S40 was getting poor mileage I replaced the plugs, coil packs and the wire harness to the coils and that got the car back to full power and 25+ MPG.

You should check/replace the air filter (aka the "air cleaner element" is inside the clip covers on the intake box) but I'd be surprised if you had a bad injector without some other symptoms ie one plug that keeps fouling, long cold starts, misfires etc. Any other symptoms? You may need to do some other investigations like testing for fuel pressure, engine compression if there's no other symptoms.
So today I took the car in for an alignment and on my way back my check engine light started to blink.. I knew right away that I had a misfire on one of the cylinders. Turned out to be misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced the coil and all looks to be good now. The spark plugs and the air filter have been replaced about two weeks ago. The only symptom I have is rough idle... It just idle's rough. It should be right at 800 rpm but mine is between 600 and 750 what it seems.

We did a smoke test and came back negative. The weird thing is that on cold startup the RPM are right at 800 all the way until you touch the throttle. If i just gently tap the throttle the RPM's will fall bellow 500 and the car almost stalls. Other then that I have no other symptoms.. So I could have 4 more coils going out but I cant test that unless I just get 4 new ones. If one has failed others are to come sooo...

Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy83
So today I took the car in for an alignment and on my way back my check engine light started to blink.. I knew right away that I had a misfire on one of the cylinders. Turned out to be misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced the coil and all looks to be good now. The spark plugs and the air filter have been replaced about two weeks ago. The only symptom I have is rough idle... It just idle's rough. It should be right at 800 rpm but mine is between 600 and 750 what it seems.

We did a smoke test and came back negative. The weird thing is that on cold startup the RPM are right at 800 all the way until you touch the throttle. If i just gently tap the throttle the RPM's will fall bellow 500 and the car almost stalls. Other then that I have no other symptoms.. So I could have 4 more coils going out but I cant test that unless I just get 4 new ones. If one has failed others are to come sooo...
I just took it for a test drive and going straight on the highway driving at 65 mo/h @ 2200 rp/m my dash shows that I am gettjng 25.7 mp/g. Maybe I am geting the right consumption, but whatever city driving I do ruins it all.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 PM

I've gotten pretty horrible mileage driving through St. Louis... yes, the traffic can run pretty well, but it's a whole lotta stop and then go and stop and go and stop and go. ;-) (I grew up 45 miles east of there and my sister lives in Creve Coeur).

Getting around 26mpg isn't really bad - could be better but it's "close enough" that it's going to be hard to find a really black-and-white symptom to fix.

One thing I've done in the past (often without any tangible results) is to replace the upstream (pre-cat) O2 sensor, which is the one that tells the engine management computer how much fuel to squirt into each cylinder. If it gets dirty / worn, it can start mis-reporting and cause efficiency issues. They are suspect over 100,000 miles, though they don't fail entirely very often.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
I've gotten pretty horrible mileage driving through St. Louis... yes, the traffic can run pretty well, but it's a whole lotta stop and then go and stop and go and stop and go. ;-) (I grew up 45 miles east of there and my sister lives in Creve Coeur).

Getting around 26mpg isn't really bad - could be better but it's "close enough" that it's going to be hard to find a really black-and-white symptom to fix.

One thing I've done in the past (often without any tangible results) is to replace the upstream (pre-cat) O2 sensor, which is the one that tells the engine management computer how much fuel to squirt into each cylinder. If it gets dirty / worn, it can start mis-reporting and cause efficiency issues. They are suspect over 100,000 miles, though they don't fail entirely very often.
Lucky for me I work an earlier shift which means I get to dodge the traffic going to and from work

Something interesting you said there. The upstream O2 Sensor is the only sensor I have not replaced yet ... It looks very rusty and old and I doubt that it has ever been replaced. I think I will get it replaced as part of the troubleshooting step...

Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

also make sure you don't have an exhaust leak around the flex pipe (usually you can hear it or feel the air at idle) - that can throw off the front 02 sensor as well.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
also make sure you don't have an exhaust leak around the flex pipe (usually you can hear it or feel the air at idle) - that can throw off the front 02 sensor as well.
flex pipe and cat have just been replaced 2 weeks ago, I had a small leak on the weld that connected the two together plus the cat was bad as well. I swear that I can still hear a leak above the flex pipe, and took it to 3 shops and they all keep telling me that they don't hear anything. You can hear it only on cold startup and that is what I have told them, but all came back saying they cant find anything. so I went and replaced the gaskets (OEM from volvo dealership) and the exhaust manifold (from junk yard since I wasn't sure if the old one was bad) (tightened the bolts per volvo spec 26NM for upper section and 28NM facing the flex pipe) and I can still hear it. Now I am not the original owner and never owned a S40, so it could be that it makes that hissing noise on statup normally but to me it sounds wrong. I looked myself but could not feel anything leaking ether.

I could make a 30 sec video and post for you to hear if that is a normal startup or not...

Last edited by Zippy83; 02-20-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 PM

You can have someone else start the car, and use a tissue or smoke to look for any signs of air leaving the exhaust system. Yes, even a small leak could result in the loss of a few MPG, so it bears looking into. OTOH, sometimes there are other odd noises when our cars wake up in the morning. Kind of like me...