Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   How do you like your S40? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/how-do-you-like-your-s40-511/)

motocopter 09-20-2004 05:23 PM

How do you like your S40?

How's your S40? 2.4i or T5?

tech 09-20-2004 07:48 PM

RE: How do you like your S40?

The 2004 1/2 S40 and or V50 arent that bad pretty fun to drive.They are reliable to. But if the money is really the problem I would go for the S60R they fly.The manual trans is fun to shift handles great.So i give the S60R a thumbs up.

larese 09-21-2004 06:26 PM

Yeah basically I have had my S40 1.9T for about 3 months now and I love driving it. There are minor flaws that can be fixed, like my passenger side front speaker rattles and shakes A LOT when the bass is on, or oddly enough, off. Also, for some odd reason, after 4,000 miles, my passenger side rear windows is really slow and takes a bit longer to roll up. Other than that, I really enjoy the car. It has an amazingly smooth ride, comparable to an Audi, and pretty good pickup. I drove a friends Audi A4, non turbo, and the speed is significantly slower then one of a Volvo S40 1.9T. Anyway, I do recommend the car, and I love how much smaller and compact it looks compared to an S80, but the backseat tends to be very small. I usually avoid putting people in there, or I make them sit on the right side over the left.

Good luck :)

motocopter 09-21-2004 10:01 PM

larese, good info you've posted...Glad you are enjoying your S40. Did you get the geartronic automatic transmission? :)

larese 09-22-2004 04:58 PM

Well, when I bought it, it was one of the last couple they were selling before they moved onto the 2004.5's, so I didn't get a chance to customize it. I wish I had, because there would have been a lot more on it, but I got a pretty good deal and the options were actually nice, so I can't complain.

I'm not sure what the geartronic transmission is, but I'm guessing it's the option to the right of the 'shift knob (for automatics)' that you can do "+" or "-", and no, I wish I did have that. A friend of mine has a S80, well did, before she bought an Audi TT :)
She had that, and I really enjoyed driving her car, because it gives you something to do, and you can get higher up in your gears.

I would highly recommend it, if that is indeed what you're talking about.

tech 09-22-2004 10:16 PM

To some what answer you quiestion larese Geartronic is so that you can shift the automatic transmissio like a manual transmission with out the clutch. Yes they are fun to drive.

motocopter 09-24-2004 05:09 PM

How is the air flow from the air conditioner/heater to the rear seating area? Are the passengers hot in summer and cold in the winter? I noticed the S60 has vents for the rear seating area but didn't notice any for the S40. Thanks again.

larese 09-28-2004 02:14 PM

No, there aren't vents in the back to my knowledge. I can look a little later just to double check.:) I do know that I don't get any complaints about the difference in temperature from the back to the front, because it's such a compact car. On a cold day, it heats up very quickly inside the car, but the defroster is actually a bit faulty. It takes a long time to defrost the windshield, so count on buying a scraper if you end up getting the S40. In the summer, the car cools down within 5 minutes, so that's a plus. There are also buttwarmers in it :D

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

SamHatz 10-28-2004 07:28 PM

Actually, there are floor vents under the front seats for the rear pass. that are active most of the time if the airflow control is set to "AUTO". The car is so small that temp. control is never a problem.