Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

K&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N

2000 volvo s40 1.9t, i was looking up K&N airfilters. I saw there was 2, a drop in one for the Airbox. The 2nd a 57i, attatchment. I would prefer the 2nd, how ever i have limited time and tools. Any one here install the 2nd? how hard/easy, and is it worth it? Teck i think i saw one in ur motor...thank you for ur time

-A1c

Old 12-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Default RE: K&N

Hi A1cEddy.

What benefit are you looking for from the air filter & will any other mods be made at the same time?

BB
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-17-2005, 02:36 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to use an "oiled" filter you must remember to clean your throttle body more often as you are 'sucking' oil into the intake.
Reg.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:03 PM

Thx for the comments, and nice to here from you again BB, im willing to concider most any mod. Im looking for both mpg and hp. thxs for the tip on the cleaning out the oil. However i have few tools to work with and as im sure you guys know volvo's dont have much elbo room. thxs again for the comments

Old 12-19-2005, 08:10 PM

If the car can breathe more easily then mpg should improve but on its own, don't expect the filter to provide a significant performance boost.

BB

Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: reg

If you are going to use an "oiled" filter you must remember to clean your throttle body more often as you are 'sucking' oil into the intake.
Reg.
Is this true???? I've been running K&N's on high performance (non-daily drivers) cars for years and have never heard of this. Logic dictates it makes sense, but I've never heard that it causes enough gunk to warrant special cleanings. Guess it could affect TPS (sensor) too??

Steve

Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM

You'd better believe it!

The throttle body will gunge up regularly even without an oiled filter & good preventative maintenance is to clean the throttle body with carb cleaner at least every 20,000 miles with a standard filter. I'd guess halve this for an oiled filter.

BB
[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 PM
reg

K & N filter oil is very similar to Type A transmission oil..............indeed, that is what I use to oil my Piper Cross pod filters that are affixed to the DCOE side drafts on one of my autos. Interesting about K & N. It shows what a good marketing program can/will do for you. There are those who swear by K & N and yet they truly are no different than a plethora of other cotton type filters that have been on the market for years. If you really want to spend the dollars, look into a Black Wing filter. They are the gold standard on Lingefelter Corvette................big, big, big bucks, but are they truly better than K & N? Marketing dollars seem to dictate what people use. But, getting back to your post, yes, you are 'sucking' in a bit of oil which is death to a Volvo throttle body (can you say $1000.00 ETM's used on the early Volvos) and so as Black Beauty suggests...........clean the throttle often and also the Mass Air unit.
Reg.

ORIGINAL: Baythan

ORIGINAL: reg

Reg.
Is this true???? I've been running K&N's on high performance (non-daily drivers) cars for years and have never heard of this. Logic dictates it makes sense, but I've never heard that it causes enough gunk to warrant special cleanings. Guess it could affect TPS (sensor) too??

Steve

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Yeah K&N's kill the audi MAF's... the MAF is located right after the filter, and are known to be damaged by the oil. Not sure if it is from people over-oiling the filter... or not letting the filter get enough dry time before reinstallation... but it definately causes problems. I bought my car with a K&N, and when it came time to re-oil it, I took it out, and an OEM paper filter went in in its place.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I never knew about the oil either

(FYI....Before I posted, I noticed a large K&N advertisement on the bottom of the page
[sm=funnypostabove.gif])

Old 01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
reg

S60r,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't misunderstand me.............many drivers swear by the K&N and would have no other. My posting was just to alert you to the fact that there were not only other alternative filters but also to the problems that you may encounter by using an oiled cotton filter. You will note that Headshok already experienced a MAF replacement..............indeed, my c70 that only has 20,000 miles on it has had the MAF replaced and I use 'factory' air cleaners. Be forwarned that Volvo has an issue with the ETM failing and that is a $1000.00 item. I have had mine cleaned in an effort to forestall the inevitable but I can assure you that the oil from an air filter (after market) will 'kill' the MAF and the ETM at a young age! 'Nuff said?
Reg

Old 01-08-2006, 11:06 AM

I didn't misunderstand, I really was thanking everyone for the tip since I never knew that. I just thought it was humorous that a K&N advertisement was in this thread.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:20 AM

so are you suggesting do not put in k&n air filter? furthermore, are there dry air filters u suggest?

thanks!

Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM

the 57i is really for the S40 T4....i have had the pipercross intake and now i am using a K&N open air cone filter with a heatshield and i must say it is much better than pipercross. the flow seems a lot better, but that all may be in my head. if you are interested in the same filter, i will try and find the product #

Old 02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
reg

By all means............use the K & N if you feel it is necessary. Our post's simply encourage you to clean the ETM and MAF on a periodic basis. Quite frankly, I use a NAPA air filter (dry paper) and it seems to work out just fine. I change it yearly along with the cabin filter.
Reg

Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 AM

how do i clean the throttle body with carb cleaner?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM

I'm not familiar with the 70 series, but on most petrol variants of the original 40 series it would involve removing a plastic panel to reveal the throttle housing then disconnecting the air inlet ducting from the throttle body. You can then see the "butterfly" and beneath it, the innards of the throttle body.

Cans of carb cleaner usually come with convenient plastic pipes you can attach to the spray nozzle to more accurately direct/concentrate the spray and get into those hard-to-reach places. Just make sure the pipe on the nozzle is secure & doesn't fall off. Clean both sides of the butterfly including its pivots plus - with the butterfly open - down into the throttle body itself. There may be an associated idle motor you can clean-up at the same time.

As I said, 70 series may vary but I doubt it's too much more complicated than that. Before reassembly ensure that the butterfly is undamaged & moving freely and, of course, make sure that the ducting is secured airtight afterwards. If the butterfly/body is so gunged-up that carb cleaner alone is struggling to do the job, you can use a VERY SOFT toothbrush to aid the process but best if you can get by without it.

Hope this helps.

BB

Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Volvo owners swear by the K & N curse... however it is the first time I had ever heard it when I bought my Volvo. As an LS1 owner I have used a K & N for years and never had and TB or MAF issues. I am not saying I dont believe it... i am saying that every car is different and I do find it suprising.