Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   ....Key ERROR .... Not a Key Ring Issue (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/key-error-not-key-ring-issue-97624/)

anticonarstick 08-30-2018 07:33 PM

....Key ERROR .... Not a Key Ring Issue

1 Attachment(s)
2004 S40- Volvo 5 cylinder iSedan ( newer body style not the older Boxy one you can say 2005 since it was made fall of 2004)

Every time I put the Key in the ignition I get a Key Error Issue.
I can turn it to any position and it says the same thing "Key Error"

Background on Car.... I just recently replaced the bad blower motor. You know the one that is an extreme pain the @$$ to get to.
In the process I did have to unplug everything from the CEM and Disconnect the Battery to be able to remove and replace the Blower Motor.
After I've finished replacing i plugged everything back up including the CEM and hooked the battery back up.
Every seems fine but, Every time I insert the key into the ignition switch it gives me the Key Error.
If you try to start it you can hear the relays click once or twice and the fuel pump pumping pressure then the light goes off.
No other light come on nothing starts nothing else comes on or comes to life.
The interior lights will come on.
I'm able to unlock and lock the doors with the key fob on the main and spare.
The windows will not roll up (thank god it's in the garage)
The security light will blink when locked
The head light will come on
But NO not even the radio will come on.
I can't get it out of gear unless I use the Release by the Gear Shifter.
The steering wheel is locked i'm assuming from the safety thing from Volvo with the pre-checks.
I have replaced the Key Switch (Antenna Ring) and it still gives the same error.
I've checked all the fused and the relays and everything is good and in working order.
The battery is brand New, heck i even put a charger on it just to make sure it was 100% because i know low battery causes problems.
I've checked and no codes come up, but i don't have a VIDA scan tool just a Generic one.
They car seems dead, but not... Almost like some kind of immobilizer is enabled, but i'm not sure.
Everything worked fine before i replaced the blower motor.
I'm not sure if the CEM would have gone bad or needs to be reprogrammed.
I'm kind of at a lost at this point and might end up taking it to the dealership for a possible fix.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions what i might be able to look at.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...05ffd0a147.jpg

anticonarstick 09-01-2018 03:34 AM

bump ....

tony1963 09-01-2018 07:16 AM

See your local dealer.

Hudini 09-01-2018 04:36 PM

Check your battery voltage too. Make sure it's getting the full 12 volts.

habbyguy 09-02-2018 03:47 PM

I'd suggest taking a very close look at all the connections I undid and re-did in the process of the previous repair, as well as the pins (one could have gotten loose in the housing or been bent). I'd also check the grounds - a missing ground can cause all sorts of odd behavior.

Gjendem 02-10-2022 06:47 PM

Same exact issue after blower motor change

did the same thing replaced my blower motor on a 2009 volvo c30, now key error message. Were you able to find a fix?

Originally Posted by anticonarstick (Post 464920)
2004 S40- Volvo 5 cylinder iSedan ( newer body style not the older Boxy one you can say 2005 since it was made fall of 2004)

Every time I put the Key in the ignition I get a Key Error Issue.
I can turn it to any position and it says the same thing "Key Error"

Background on Car.... I just recently replaced the bad blower motor. You know the one that is an extreme pain the @$$ to get to.
In the process I did have to unplug everything from the CEM and Disconnect the Battery to be able to remove and replace the Blower Motor.
After I've finished replacing i plugged everything back up including the CEM and hooked the battery back up.
Every seems fine but, Every time I insert the key into the ignition switch it gives me the Key Error.
If you try to start it you can hear the relays click once or twice and the fuel pump pumping pressure then the light goes off.
No other light come on nothing starts nothing else comes on or comes to life.
The interior lights will come on.
I'm able to unlock and lock the doors with the key fob on the main and spare.
The windows will not roll up (thank god it's in the garage)
The security light will blink when locked
The head light will come on
But NO not even the radio will come on.
I can't get it out of gear unless I use the Release by the Gear Shifter.
The steering wheel is locked i'm assuming from the safety thing from Volvo with the pre-checks.
I have replaced the Key Switch (Antenna Ring) and it still gives the same error.
I've checked all the fused and the relays and everything is good and in working order.
The battery is brand New, heck i even put a charger on it just to make sure it was 100% because i know low battery causes problems.
I've checked and no codes come up, but i don't have a VIDA scan tool just a Generic one.
They car seems dead, but not... Almost like some kind of immobilizer is enabled, but i'm not sure.
Everything worked fine before i replaced the blower motor.
I'm not sure if the CEM would have gone bad or needs to be reprogrammed.
I'm kind of at a lost at this point and might end up taking it to the dealership for a possible fix.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions what i might be able to look at.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...05ffd0a147.jpg

habbyguy 02-11-2022 12:27 PM

There are a million or so threads on this subject (and it probably had nothing to do with your fan replacement). Just search on SCL (or Steering Column Lock).

The short version - you'll need to remove / clean / relube the SCL, or at the very least, figure out how to get to it to tap it to see if it releases. If you have to replace the SCL module, it HAS to be coded by the dealership (dumb design by Volvo).