Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My 2010 S40 Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2010 S40 Updates

I got this car in ‘18 after my 04 s40 bit the dust. The 2010 only had 70k miles on it but needed some work. With my experience from my 04 I went for it because I got it at such a good price. I’ve had to put money into it but that was for all of the common s40 issues plus a fuel pump and radiator fan that I didn’t do myself and cost a bit. But anyway I came to the realization that I’ll probably keep it for as long as I can so I might as well make it look better. I’ve had luck on the interior and was able to go full leather door panels and seats as well as Nordic oak trim from scouring local pick and pulls. The outside though, is mainly all new items. Here’s the recent updates that I started this summer:

black 18” rims
tinted windows
blacked out mirror signals
piano key columns
smoked headlights
LED head and fog lights
restored the fog lights and painted the covers
chrome delete badges
new rotors with black accents
painted calipers silver
custom grill.

Found a grill used online, got a used badge and came up with what you see below. Badge is tad large but I thought it looks okay. Blacked all that out and this is where I’m at. Sorry for the bugs on the front, had to drive at night recently and I’m giving the grill badge paint and goop time to cure before I wash it.

what do you all think? And what should I do next? Ideally I’d like to get repainted but idk if I want to drop that kind of money

Last edited by kn408; 09-22-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

my two cents on the exterior would be to get the car professionally detailed and have them cut/buff the existing paint and do some spot touch ups. You can also find ding removal services for any small dents. As to painting, there is the option of just focusing on the bumpers and have them resprayed to match your freshly buffed top.

From there, I'd turn to the interior and consider whether the front seats need some R+R. Audio upgrades are kind of hard to find for the S40s due to the custom bezel and fiber connections but you may find an adaptor (check Crutchfield and gromaudio.com) to connect an Aux or bluetooth input to stream from your phone etc.

Finally, for performance bits, you didn't mention if your car is a turbo or NA. Either way, I'd consider some minor suspention and brake upgrades, starting with a thicker rear bar (IPD has a kit for $289) and freshen any worn bushings and if the struts are feeling soft consider going upgrading to Bilstein B6s or Konis. Brakes can be enhanced with some slotted/drilled rotors and you may find a kit to install larger rotors.

These kits may have a replacement caliper carrier that reuses the existing calipers but moved them out slightly to fit to larger disks or the kit may have new calipers/carriers/rotors (at a bigger cost).

Finally if you do have a T5, then you can get 30-40 HP via an ECU tune. If you have an NA, leave it as is...

Last edited by mt6127; 09-22-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
my two cents on the exterior would be to get the car professionally detailed and have them cut/buff the existing paint and do some spot touch ups. You can also find ding removal services for any small dents. As to painting, there is the option of just focusing on the bumpers and have them resprayed to match your freshly buffed top.

From there, I'd turn to the interior and consider whether the front seats need some R+R. Audio upgrades are kind of hard to find for the S40s due to the custom bezel and fiber connections but you may find an adaptor (check Crutchfield and gromaudio.com) to connect an Aux or bluetooth input to stream from your phone etc.

Finally, for performance bits, you didn't mention if your car is a turbo or NA. Either way, I'd consider some minor suspention and brake upgrades, starting with a thicker rear bar (IPD has a kit for $289) and freshen any worn bushings and if the struts are feeling soft consider going upgrading to Bilstein B6s or Konis. Brakes can be enhanced with some slotted/drilled rotors and you may find a kit to install larger rotors.

These kits may have a replacement caliper carrier that reuses the existing calipers but moved them out slightly to fit to larger disks or the kit may have new calipers/carriers/rotors (at a bigger cost).

Finally if you do have a T5, then you can get 30-40 HP via an ECU tune. If you have an NA, leave it as is...
sorry non turbo. Audio-wise it already has usb/Bluetooth/aux so luckily that was stock. Bushings and control arms are all replaced. I had replaced the struts on my old car not too long before it crapped out so I transfered over. If one goes out I’ll consider upgrading and vowing a tad lower on the springs. Brakes! How could I forget. I still have to do the fronts but I just redid the backs. New rotors, painted calipers and dust guard

Old 09-22-2022, 05:16 PM
Default I like those ideas

Originally Posted by mt6127

mine is not a turbo unfortunately. I just replaced the rear breaks painted the calipers(added the pic in above). Front I already have the rotors just haven’t gotten to it. Audio-wise I already have usb/Bluetooth/aux that came stock but would like new speakers. Dear bar is a good idea for sure. I just got a new dremel tool so I might try my hand at cutting a spot for the exhaust and possible go dual at some point. I’ve never had a detail paint repair before. Anything I should be looking for?

Old 09-23-2022, 09:54 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks nice well done and enjoy the car