Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New to Volvos, have a few quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Volvos, have a few quesitons

G'day,

I'm new to all this so please be gentle!

Well, I took the plunge and got myself a 1999 Volvo S40 T4 auto.

Very happy with the car, and very impressed with the engine, just a few quick questions and confirmations that will make me happier.

Firstly, the car has a 'ticking' type of noise from the engine, quite loud at times, I presume an oil change will get rid of this noise? What oil would be recommended. The car has about 180,000 kms on it but still runs strong.

Secondly, it does take a few goes (long cranking to start), from my research this indicates the fuel pressure regulator is most likely the problem, but I read somewhere that the S40 has 2 of them, can anyone confirm this?

Everything else is perfect, oh, the mirror adjustment ***** / switches seem a little 'sticky', that is I have to really move them to their full extension for th emirrors to move, I guess this may just mean the contacts need a clean?

The car is also a weird black colour, not pure black, but metallic but has a very slight tint of blue / green in the paint, I want to get some touch up paint for it so any ideas for a suitable match?

I've also replaced the battery and a new set of platinum sparkplugs so runs very nicely.

Are there any other items I should check out and replace / repair? The engine mounts have been done, gearbox replaced as the original had a vibration, the shocks done with Koni's, rebuilt turbo (standard boost), and new brake pads.

Sorry for the disjointed questions, but any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Colin

Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Default RE: New to Volvos, have a few quesitons

Geez,

Thanks for all the help!

30 plus lookers and not a single suggestion, I thought the idea of a forum was to share knowledge and experiences?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

1. The oil pan o-rings might be bad causing low oil pressure.
Or might need a good oil change.
2.The regulator on the end of the fuel rail by the throttle is the one that usually goes bad.
remove the hose and see if there is gas in the vaccum hose.
3.The switches is most likely dirty contacts.
4.Under the hood is a metal plate look for a 3 digit code that is the paint code.

Sorry so long to answer internet been messing up lately here at my house.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to get cranky. If no one has had the problem that you describe then they probably wont post. Then when Tech checks the forum he gives the right answers.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM

Careful, if you are looking for help, these people are the best. If you insult them, it doesn't make them want to help.
Oil is serious debate among the forums. Synth blend or full synthetic seem the most suggested, with average suggested time between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. Personally, 2000 S40 1.9T with 90,000 miles, I use full synthetic and change it every 5,000.
The rest Tech has answered.
The other thing is, please post results. Many seem to get an answer and never let us know how it turns out. Maybe people look because they have the same issue. It also showsappreciation for the ones who help.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The ticking may be just a loose nut on the exhaust manifold (it's the exhaust leaking making the noise). With the engine cold, lean over the engine and look down by the turbo. You may have to place your hand back there and feel around (therefore the cold engine). On mine with a ticking noise I found one nut backed off the stud allowing exhaust gases to leak.

The long cranking was fixed on mine with a new fuel pressure regulator. Now realize 2000 was the first year the S40 was sold here in the States. I believe the 1999 European model was similar but not sure if it is exactly the same. There is only one FPR. It's on the end of the fuel rail under the black plastic covers over the fuel rail and throttle body. One bolt secures it. It also has one vacuum source. On mine the vacuum hose was cracked. Check this first before replacing the whole FPR.

I've heard about the poor quality of paint on the early models. It has been fixed in later models but you may be stuck with fixing that yourself.