Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   P0700 and P0758 codes - any advice? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/p0700-p0758-codes-any-advice-77291/)

fiey24 03-22-2014 08:33 AM

P0700 and P0758 codes - any advice?

I had some error codes on my 2002 S40 and my check engine light has been on, so I had AutoZone pull the codes for me yesterday. Here are the codes I got - I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how serious these are and if the repairs are costly to fix:

P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical/2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
Definition
2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance
Explanation
ECM has detected an open or shorted condition on shift solenoid circuit
Probable Cause
Shift solenoid failure - repair other codes first

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
Definition
Transmission Control Module (TCM) requested mil illumination
Explanation
TCM has detected an emission related fault
Probable Cause
Check other service codes first

So these are the codes I was given. The car has been driving okay even though the light has been on steady. The transmission lit up the orange arrow and went into its emergency gear back in January but later that day all was okay other than the check engine light remaining on. About 15 months ago (3 months after I bought the car) the transmission did the same thing, and I had it towed. I was told the transmission needed to be replaced but somebody at the shop offered to try a repair first and it was running fine after the repair until this January when it happened again and the light came on. Any thoughts? Money is very tight right now and I'm not very good with cars.

I did call my Volvo repair shop and they said they can't even discuss these codes with me because they are generic codes and I would need to take the car in to have them read the full Volvo diagnostic codes to pinpoint what is happening. I just don't have $100 to spend just to have them read some codes, and if it needs further transmission work, at this point I just want to get rid of the car. I can't keep repairing the transmission.

ES6T 03-22-2014 09:42 AM

Yeah, generic codes are not a good way to diagnose the trans.

Some dealers have free diagnosis for any warning light.

johnsonx42 03-22-2014 12:13 PM

Volvo dealers who participate in "Volvo Service Advantage" are supposed to give you free diagnostics when you have the check engine light on. I received the free service somewhat begrudgingly (had to specifically cite the Volvo Service Advantage program before they agreed not to charge me $140), but they did do what they were supposed to.
Volvo Cars | Service and Maintenance | Volvo Service Advantage

fiey24 03-22-2014 02:19 PM

I guess that doesn't help me much. I bought the car from a second-hand dealer about 15 months ago. They won't have anything to do with this. This leaves me with my local Volvo dealer which has a repair shop - they charge $54 per half-hour, and said it could take the full hour to do the diagnosis - I'm not sure why that would be the case. Does it really take that long? I just need the codes read so I know what I'm really looking at for repairs. If the transmission needs another repair, I think I'm done with it. I can't keep repairing it.

ES6T 03-22-2014 04:03 PM

It doesn't matter if you are the 10th owner of the car- Volvo Service Advantage applies to everyone.

fiey24 03-22-2014 04:57 PM

Wait - you mean that service is offered free? Like I don't have to pay for that "package" when I buy the car? I thought this was something you had to pay extra for?

So then I just need to call around and ask if they're part of the "Volvo Service Advantage"? The Volvo dealer I called nearby is one of the biggest and most well-known Volvo dealers in the area - so they should certainly belong to this program I'd imagine. So why on Earth would they try to charge me over $50 per half hour to get the diagnostic? Maybe they just don't participate for some reason? Maybe they don't qualify?

ES6T 03-22-2014 05:48 PM

Yes. It is free. I diagnose cars for free all day long.

It does say "participating retailers only", so I'm not sure if they participate or are just trying to charge you because you aren't aware of the program.

fiey24 03-22-2014 06:07 PM

Thanks a ton for the info. This will help me out greatly.

I just checked the website for the Volvo dealer/shop I went to, and sure enough they have a web page specifically talking about the "Volvo Service Advantage", and it mentions the free diagnostic for the check engine light, and it says up to 1 hour of diagnostic plus a printout and estimate at no charge. I guess they just didn't want me to know about it.

There's isn't any catch to this is there? Any requirements I need to meet to be eligible? It doesn't seem to mention anything like that.

ES6T 03-22-2014 06:16 PM

Nope. It is totally free with no obligation. The only exclusion is independent shops.

fiey24 03-22-2014 09:02 PM

Thanks again. This takes a lot off my mind for now. At least I can get this checked out now without having to come up with $100 just to find out what it needs, so I'll know not to be driving it if it's serious.

johnsonx42 03-23-2014 10:42 AM

I honestly wonder what percentage of Volvo dealer service shops behave as you and I have experienced: attempt to charge for the service that Volvo says is free, unless the customer actually cites the Volvo Service Advantage program and insists on receiving the free service. I wonder how many millions have been needlessly paid to Volvo dealers across the country (world? is this program world-wide?) Almost sounds like grounds for a class-action lawsuit doesn't it?

Here's my original thread on this, if anyone is curious: https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...o-great-75468/

fiey24, do let us know how it goes.

ziyixue 03-24-2014 02:37 AM

It is totally free with no obligation. The only exclusion is independent shops.

fiey24 03-24-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ziyixue (Post 384351)
It is totally free with no obligation. The only exclusion is independent shops.

I'm going through a hell of a time right now with my local "exclusive" Volvo retailer. Here's their page, where they explain how the program works:

Steingold Volvo | Volvo Service Advantage | Schedule Service Appointment | Rhode Island Volvo Service & Repairs | Schedule Service - C30, C70, S60, S80, XC60, XC70, XC90 - Steingold Volvo Near Providence, RI

I talked to them this morning and they refuse to honor this. Last week they told me they charge over $50 per half-hour for diagnostics, and this morning I talked to them and mentioned this program and asked how they are charging me when it should be free, and they insist it's only if I bought the car from them. I told them it says that nowhere on their site, and that I also read about this here:

Volvo Cars | Service and Maintenance | Volvo Service Advantage

But they are refusing to listen.They told me they will have a manager call me back soon to "explain" to me how the program works. I also spoke to a guy that works there (he did a job for me on the side last year), and he said he knew nothing about this program and he said they never have done a "complimentary" diagnosis like the program says! He says there must be a catch to that because otherwise people would be coming in all day long for their free checks.

Unbelievable. Why offer a program like this if they are going to lie about it? There's even a video on the Volvo site for crying out loud, where they literally say in the video you get the 1 hour of diagnostics for free, plus a written estimate, at no cost. How can they not honor this?

fiey24 03-24-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by johnsonx42 (Post 384272)
I honestly wonder what percentage of Volvo dealer service shops behave as you and I have experienced: attempt to charge for the service that Volvo says is free, unless the customer actually cites the Volvo Service Advantage program and insists on receiving the free service. I wonder how many millions have been needlessly paid to Volvo dealers across the country (world? is this program world-wide?) Almost sounds like grounds for a class-action lawsuit doesn't it?

Here's my original thread on this, if anyone is curious: https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...o-great-75468/

fiey24, do let us know how it goes.

Yeah, it sounds like a scam to me. In fact, it sounds more like a lawsuit waiting to happen honestly. I think this is grounds for a class-action lawsuit to be honest, though I am of course not a lawyer. This same place charged me for the diagnosis last year I believe when I took it in for the check engine light. Back then I wasn't aware of this program. It sounds like these "exclusive" Volvo dealerships are taking complete advantage of their customers. I'm not happy at all that I have to go to battle like this over a promised service. Is there a corporate Volvo contact that can be alerted to the fact that these places carry that promise but don't honor it?

EDIT: I guess the program started back in September last year? It says on the Volvo website the following:

"These offers are available at participating Volvo dealers only, effective September 1, 2013. This offer only applies to Volvo owners and excludes third party repair facilities."

I was charged $112 for 1 hour of diagnostics last year back in January, but maybe that program wasn't in effect yet? But that doesn't excuse them from what they are doing now. They are refusing to honor the promises made to Volvo owners.

ES6T 03-24-2014 12:27 PM

Yeah, contact Volvo Customer Care. We've been doing free diagnosis for about two years.

fiey24 03-24-2014 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 384393)
Yeah, contact Volvo Customer Care. We've been doing free diagnosis for about two years.

So then should I have not been charged last January for my diagnosis?

ES6T 03-24-2014 12:57 PM

I don't know what makes one dealership "participating" and another not. But it looks like you shouldn't have been charged

fiey24 03-24-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 384401)
I don't know what makes one dealership "participating" and another not. But it looks like you shouldn't have been charged

Thank you. I will take this up with Volvo Customer Care. Is this the best way to contact them?:

Volvo Customer Care

ES6T 03-24-2014 01:09 PM

It's not working on my mobile, but it's under Contact Us on volvocars.us if I remember correctly.

johnsonx42 03-24-2014 01:37 PM

Before "Volvo Service Advantage" I think the program was called "Volvo Service for Life". The dealer I used still had the old name programmed into their computer, so my receipt had that name plastered all over it. The "Volvo Service Advantage" name itself may be new, but the free CEL diagnostics go back to the prior program and at least a couple of years. So this isn't something new they can honestly claim to know nothing about... I guess this just shows how long they've been scamming people.

My advice, if there's another Volvo dealer not too far away, take it to them instead. See if you get the same run-around.