Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Performance Chip!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chip!

Hi,

are there any performance chips which will suite a Volvo s40 2.0t 1998 model (lower pressure turbo) but at the same time which will not decrease the longevity of the engine but increase the power.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

On one hand the answer is YES. On the other hand the answer is NO.

YES = Meaning there are ECU upgrades out there for you.

- IPD USA
- RICA
- BSR PPC

^ Three best tuning companies on the market for us.

Inmotion, Upsolute and SpeedTuning USA, these three are the lower tier bargin basement tunes less developed less researched.

NO = On decreasing longgevity. You do realize that adding an ECU upgrade puts strain on the engine which in turn can damage the engine. How long it will take and what it will do is to be determined.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

I have a Speedtune 13psi for the 850's and have no regrets! Def. check them out...

Old 09-04-2009, 08:44 PM

Hmm,i have to think about this, there are many positive and negative views about this. I might not go ahead with it, the 'strain on the engine' part scares me allot especially that i am college student.

I have looked at all the web pages you have provided 'S70driver' all companies claim they don't have any affect on the cars engines but i don't know. Upsolute chip tuning company seems to be very well founded, they even have they're own forum and also claiming to have 'chip tuned' many thousands of cars.

Can i ask why these companies claim to have no effect on the motors they tune? Or is this just a tactic to sell their products more easily?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM

I thought so too.. Had someone with a LOT of knowledge help me out... A "tune" is crafted to your car and actually Maximizes your car to it's full potential. Most cars that roll out of the assemblty usually are governed and also de-tuned. I hesitated even after buyin ghte ECU and once I put it in. I regret NOT doing it sooner! There are a few things you might have to do "maintenance" wise, but you should be ok....

Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM

What do you mean by "maintenance".

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM

And also how much did you pay for your chip tune for your 850 Somthngfrce?
And what kind of maintenance stuff do you mean?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 AM

there are many positive and negative views about this. I might not go ahead with it, the 'strain on the engine' part scares me allot especially that i am college student.

I have looked at all the web pages you have provided 'S70driver' all companies claim they don't have any affect on the cars engines but i don't know. Upsolute chip tuning company seems to be very well founded, they even have they're own forum and also claiming to have 'chip tuned' many thousands of cars.

Can i ask why these companies claim to have no effect on the motors they tune? Or is this just a tactic to sell their products more easily?
-------------------------------------------
Mauritius Holidays
timeshare

Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, obviously it's going to put more stress on your engine. You'll be boosting more, more HP, revving higher. At the same time, they're not selling tunes that are purposely going to wreck your engine. If your car has been well taken care of with routine maintenance and you have solid compression, go for it. Just pay real close attention to your car, don't skimp out on oil changes and things like that. And also, if you are doing this in LPT car, I wouldn't worry too much about doing any damage to your car. You're tune will probably similar to a stock HPT car.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by aromano93
Before you do a "tune" you want to go over your car to make sure it's running at the top of it's game. Most people get their car to Stage 0 meaning to where it was as it left the factory. Prior to my ecu I did the timing belt, and pulley, new plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, radiator flush, new thermostat and temp sensor. The cooling system hoses looked good, so didn't worry about that. That was essentially stage 0 or getting it to peak performance stock!

Originally Posted by mk_s40
I paid $275 USD off another Volvo board used. The tune is a speedtune stage3 I belive. The guy whom originally purchased it NEW had it on an 850 wagon for a year. I believe the same tune NEW now goes for $600. It was essentially PLUG and PLAY! I was a little hesitant at first on the "Stress" to the car, but in reality it actually it makes your car run a little less restricted and more efficient, if that makes sence. Tech, on here actually tipped me off on the sale. I had ran the same questions thru him prior to the purchase and assured me it would be all good. Because of the tune , I actually see better gas mileage on the car, which is an advertised advantage. With the tune my PSI went from the stock 9 to a 13. I also saw a huge difference in sport setting, which my shifting points are now held back some for more rev power. Like I said, I have been where you are and I was a little nervous of the stress. I think now my car runs better with the tune. Mine according to Speedtune is a more agressive tune, since it was custom mapped to the original owners request and I am glad he did because I smile when I am on the road and I feel the boost push me to the back of my seat!

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by aromano93
Before you do a "tune" you want to go over your car to make sure it's running at the top of it's game. Most people get their car to Stage 0 meaning to where it was as it left the factory. Prior to my ecu I did the timing belt, and pulley, new plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, radiator flush, new thermostat and temp sensor. The cooling system hoses looked good, so didn't worry about that. That was essentially stage 0 or getting it to peak performance stock! Why get a "tune" and run it on old plugs and wires,etc....

Originally Posted by mk_s40
Thanks.
I paid $275 USD off another Volvo board used. The tune is a speedtune stage3 I belive. The guy whom originally purchased it NEW had it on an 850 wagon for a year. I believe the same tune NEW now goes for $600. It was essentially PLUG and PLAY! I was a little hesitant at first on the "Stress" to the car, but in reality it actually it makes your car run a little less restricted and more efficient, if that makes sence. Tech, on here actually tipped me off on the sale. I had ran the same questions thru him prior to the purchase and assured me it would be all good. Because of the tune , I actually see better gas mileage on the car, which is an advertised advantage. With the tune my PSI went from the stock 9 to a 13. I also saw a huge difference in sport setting, which my shifting points are now held back some for more rev power. Like I said, I have been where you are and I was a little nervous of the stress. I think now my car runs better with the tune. Mine according to Speedtune is a more agressive tune, since it was custom mapped to the original owners request and I am glad he did because I smile when I am on the road and I feel the boost push me to the back of my seat!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM

Haha. I was trying to figure out what was going on with the quote. But, damn, 275 is super good for a tune.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Yes, I stole that tune! It was posted on Volvospeed and when I got the email tipping me off, I PayPaled before anyone could inflate the price by offering more! There are a few ecu's as we speak posted for sale.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Yeah, there's one floating around on CL right now. And a couple on VS, although I think the one that's on CL is one from VS.

But speaking of chips, I'm planning on putting a 16T on my wagon when that time comes, I don't need a tune for that do I? I mean I will get a tune for it eventually, but I can run the stock tune on a 16T right? Does that go for any other turbos, say the 19T and run a MBC and set it at 13/14 PSI like the stock tune is set for?

Last edited by gilber33; 09-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM

I know 2 people with 16t and running stock..Seems ok, but the tune takes you further IMO. BTW, yes the one on CL is the same as VS.

Last edited by Somthngfrce; 09-07-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 AM

Yeah, I know the tune will take me further. It would be temporary until I get a tune for it. What about a 19T? Is it possible just to run that with a MBC set at 13/14 PSI? Again, temporarily until I get a tune.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 AM

Not sure on the 19t. I know that's what TECHs trying to eventually run on his yellow...

Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 AM

Can you run a 19T with stock injectors?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 AM

I think most guys running the bigger turbos change the injectors out.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Now i see there is quiet a few people who have this installed on their cars. It's a shame the prices have gone more expensive though Which company is the best to buy from? And also are they the same quality?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Performance Chip!