Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   Racechip on a T5 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/racechip-t5-100133/)

ironbloc 06-10-2019 08:30 PM

Racechip on a T5

See https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...t5-v50-100121/

mt6127 06-11-2019 10:19 AM

not sure why you posted a link to an existing post, but to your observations on your ECU tuning:

there are different ECU tuning products for different models - and ECU tuning comes in a few solutions.

1. Soft programmable ECUs. on some models, the ECU can simply be reflashed or have new programs or multiple programs uploaded. The new program modifies the spark advance, boost curve and fuel mix to produce more HP and torque. This also means you are more likely to have pre-ignition (pings) so the HP gain is related to the octane of your fuel. Most require 93 octane to get the advertised HP gain.

2. Replacement ECUs - other models like the older cars (850s/V70s etc) require a replacement PROM chip with the updated programming inserted in the ECU - this is typically done via a replacement ECU or a mail out upgrade to your existing ECU.

3. Some ECUs can not be flashed or re-chipped so to resolve, some products piggy back a PROM chip (I believe the 1.9T tunes are done this way)

4. Some vendors spoof the ECU to produce by inserting devices into the sensor signal paths to fool the ECU into calling for more boost. Of all the solutions, this is the least desireable as it does not provide all the programmability favailable from software tunes. Software based tunes can do things like reset the top speed govenor, the rev limiter etc.

General advise here is to shop around and see what products are available for your model and ask questions about the install procedure, recommended related parts (ie air intakes, downpipes, larger injectors, larger turbos, stronger intake tubing/fasteners etc) to achieve your target HP goal. Most big name ECU tunes have very similar programming and power curves.

If you run an ECU update, make sure you use the required fuel type so as to not damage the engine. A stage 1 tune on a T5 should be good for 40-50 additional WHP - adding a 3" downpipe will do another 10-15. You may find you get CELs for the cat which can be addressed by using a CEL-Boss or similar O2 sensor spacer.

ironbloc 06-11-2019 10:59 AM

I posted a link here because S40 folks can benefit as well (why would they be checking the V50 forum?).

I don't get the point of your post. Why list all this here? If you just do your basic research, you'll see that Racechip falls under the 4th category you listed. My post is a report on my experience with that particular product.

ironbloc 06-11-2019 11:09 AM

Also, I completely disagree with your opinion that option 4 is the least desirable. That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Why should anyone care about removing the rev and top speed limiter on a daily driver? Our Volvo is not a track car. All of the other options you listed are either non-reversible or much more expensive than a simple piggy-back solution. So far, Racechip offers what I expected for $150.

mt6127 06-11-2019 02:57 PM

point of my post was a general education on the various ECU tuning choices and to suggest readers do their own research for their own models. As the alternatives I listed, those which update the program's maps control more than just the boost feedback - they create a tuned map across the RPM range for fuel mix to optimize driveablility with the performance upgrade. The most elegant solutions can offer soft uploaders to update or revert the car to stock, and some even allow for multiple programs including valet mode to give the user a choice. So as some may simply want a bump in peak HP, Racechip will do that, and some may want the features and driveability of the fully mapped ECU tunes.

ironbloc 06-11-2019 07:33 PM

Yes, my point is that the elegant solutions you are referring to often cost close to $1000 if not more. I am not sure that I buy into Racechip's claim about peak hp, but my butt dyno tells me there is more boost/torque at low rpm, which is the most important thing for me (in terms of one's enjoyment and ability to get one's self out of a bind at short notice) in daily driving. I don't think my wife really cares about the former though! On my race car, I have an alpha/N solution I can connect to with a laptop and manipulate the fuel map, so I know what you mean. The only way to properly tune that is to put the car on a steady-state dyno and tune it under various loading conditions mainly based on an air fuel reading.

My frustration with the Racehip product has been lack of install information and any kind of report out for the T5 engine on the internet, which is what made me join this forum and post the pointers (that you have to remove your bumper cover to get to the connector--I assume to the pressure sensor but not sure--and it is not the claimed 5-min install) and share my impressions in case someone else considers this product.