Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 D3 R-design "phone" randomly disappears

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 D3 R-design "phone" randomly disappears

Hi All,

I got a strange problem recently, which was not there for the first three months since I bought the car.
In the past week, every 2-3 days the phone icon completely disappears from the display on the car.
NOTE, that my HTC Desire is always connected via Bluetooth as soon as I insert the key in the car, turn it rights and the systems go "on".

In 3 occasions, the phone icon simply disappeared and the "phone" button on the dashboard became inactive (no LED) and the phone menus are also not present anymore.
However, the phone still shows it is connected over Bluetooth to the system. But, the phone calls, etc... are not routed to the car audio system and cannot use the car phone menus at all for making calls, etc...

In order to "fix" this I have to switch off the engine, remove the key and lock the car with the remote key. Once I unlock the car again and insert the key and turn it right all works fine.

Not sure what to make of this. If it was a hardware issue, it would never work. I suspect a bug in the system phone/Bluetooth software, but cannot find anybody on forums or google search with the same issue.

Bluetooth version on the car is: 05.08_R

Thanks.

Francesco.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM

UPDATE: I noticed that when the issue happens (phone icon disappearing, i.e., phone application in the car software force closing essentially), it always happens from the moment I go from position II to postion III (engine on) with the key.
Basically,
1) position II -> phone icon is ok and phone is connected
2) position III (engine on) -> phone icon disappears and phone not working anymore.

I suspect that the phone is force closing when I quickly turn the engine on (going from 1) to 2) above) whilst the phone is still syncronising over Bluetooth with the car computer (which it could be a bug in the car computer phone s/w).
In the past, I was always waiting longer to turn the engine on and therefore I did not see this problem.

I am now testing the situation by always enabling bluetooth on the phone AFTER truning the engine on and se how it goes.

Anybody has any suggestion or similar experience?

Thanks.

Francesco.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrfrank
UPDATE: I noticed that when the issue happens (phone icon disappearing, i.e., phone application in the car software force closing essentially), it always happens from the moment I go from position II to postion III (engine on) with the key.
Basically,
1) position II -> phone icon is ok and phone is connected
2) position III (engine on) -> phone icon disappears and phone not working anymore.

I suspect that the phone is force closing when I quickly turn the engine on (going from 1) to 2) above) whilst the phone is still syncronising over Bluetooth with the car computer (which it could be a bug in the car computer phone s/w).
In the past, I was always waiting longer to turn the engine on and therefore I did not see this problem.

I am now testing the situation by always enabling bluetooth on the phone AFTER truning the engine on and se how it goes.

Anybody has any suggestion or similar experience?

Thanks.

Francesco.
UPDATE: After many days turning bluetooth on after switching the engine on, all is well. My suspicions above are confirmed, e.g. the Bleutooth s/w on the car is buggy and does not work wel with HTC Desire Oh well...I guess I will have to live with it until i change my phone.