Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Electircal Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Electircal Issues!

I have an S40 that recently started having all sorts of random electrical issues; locked me out, wouldn't start, all radio pre-sets gone, dashboard completely shut down, etc. Took it to dealership and was told it was the 2 front seat harnesses that needed to be replaced and that would cost over $1,000. I was also told that this is a "bulleted" item, many people have been experiencing the same issue. This comment really sounds to me like MANUFACTURE DEFECT. If so many people are having the same issue, I cannot understand why Volvo would not step up and take ownership of this problem. I have had nothing but issues with my car, spending over $3,000 on repairs in the last month. I am so disgusted over this latest issue that this weekend I will be trading in my car and have no desire to ever own another Volvo. I would suggest anyone wishing to buy a volvo do the research. After googling the topic, I found TONS of complaints.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM

I've had a very similar problem. Go to my car after work 2 months ago and it won't start. checked battery and starter and both were fine. everything seemed fine inside the car, all the lights and sounds are normal. when i turned the key nothing. no click, no turn over, no nothing. literally nothing. take it in and had to pay for an entire day labour of troubleshooting. they eventually got it to start and they replaced the harness and a few fuses they had blown but really sounded like they had no idea why that fixed it. Now 7 weeks later exactly the same thing happens. called another dealership and they have no idea either. suggested checking the SCU. last time it almost cost me 1000$ if its the same this time i'll also be trading it in and walking away from Volvo.

If anyone else out there has had similar issues I'd love to hear what solved it. might save me hundreds in labor for troubleshooting.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM

I have a 2001 s40 and my gauges all are dead and it it showing Pin Reset? The speedometer, odometer and gas and all guages behind stering wheel are all out? Any help out there?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 AM

My mechanic had me try my extra key and it worked. Everything came back on . It had something to do with the chip in the key.