Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Issues

New to the site and would like to impose upon you folks for somecomments. My story is this: It's time to replace my wife's Acura TSX (outstanding car by the way). I'm reluctant to buy another one right now due to the arrival of an all new model later this year (so I've read). Long story short, we're attracted to the Volvo S40, particularly the T5 FWD. Of course we're spoiled by the trouble free experience of owning the Acura (and would be the case with any Japanese car I'm sure) and I'm a little concerned by a fewof the problems described here. My wife is a high mileage driver (700 miles a week) and the closest dealer is probably 25 minutes away (I know it's all relative, but around here that's not considered local). The only time I see the Acura dealer is for scheduled maintenance (every 10K miles by the way) and would like to think that would be the case with the Volvo, but I wonder if that's wishful thinking. To the owners of 06-07 S40's, what to you think and/or would recommend? It seems allot of the members here drive older S40's and to be fair, I'd appreciate any comments from owners of the present generation. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Default RE: S40 Issues

I will say straight away that I do not own an S40 of any year. I have owned a 240, 740, 960, 940 and 850. They have been the most reliable cars I have owned since I started driving in 1961.

I'm a little concerned by a fewof the problems described here.
I subscribe to several Volvo forums and, as needed, I read forums for other makes of car.

One point I make to people in your position is that on any forum you only get to read about the problems. That is the nature of any forum.Out in the big world there are very many S40 owners who have not had these problems.

I don't know if there is a forum dedicated to the Acura but if thereis I think it will be full of problems people have had. I know that this is true of some Japanese makes.

My advice is to try to talk to owners and find out their experiences.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I fully agree thatbrand specific websites (I spent years on Audiworld; one of the best sites out there I must say) only allow the light to shine on a small minority of owner/drivers. But the participants that make up that minority are usually a good resource for the kind of info that a prospective owner coulduse. My brief exposure to these forums would indicate that there are actually some adults present (less so in some of the other brand sites that I've come across). I've found most people are honest with their opinions, even if the news is not all good (or bad). By posing an open invitation to anyone willing to comment,I guess I was hoping that not just the negatives would be forthcoming. I'd like nothing better to than to find numerous responses from S40 owners that are saying "great car; no problems ever". Thanks for the comments. Your Volvo experience looks to be with Volvos that came before the Ford era. I'm curious if that has made them better, worse, or too soon to tell.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM

2002 S40,71k on the clock.A/c temp sensor replaced under warranty.Only problem I have had.BJ

Old 03-30-2007, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Nohelmet

New to the site and would like to impose upon you folks for somecomments. My story is this: It's time to replace my wife's Acura TSX (outstanding car by the way). I'm reluctant to buy another one right now due to the arrival of an all new model later this year (so I've read). Long story short, we're attracted to the Volvo S40, particularly the T5 FWD. Of course we're spoiled by the trouble free experience of owning the Acura (and would be the case with any Japanese car I'm sure) and I'm a little concerned by a fewof the problems described here. My wife is a high mileage driver (700 miles a week) and the closest dealer is probably 25 minutes away (I know it's all relative, but around here that's not considered local). The only time I see the Acura dealer is for scheduled maintenance (every 10K miles by the way) and would like to think that would be the case with the Volvo, but I wonder if that's wishful thinking. To the owners of 06-07 S40's, what to you think and/or would recommend? It seems allot of the members here drive older S40's and to be fair, I'd appreciate any comments from owners of the present generation. Thanks in advance.
Not all Japanese cars are trouble free. They do have bad sides.
The volvos are good until you start to find out electrical problems.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 PM

I bought my 2006 S40 T5 AWD in July 2005 and I think it is a great car. I love the growl of the engine and the stiffer ride feel. The only problem I have had is that early on the window controls seemed to have amind of their own. After a couple software updates they were fine. Mine was in the shop yesterday but that was because I ran over a log and broke the lower engine mount! My other cars were Subaru, Nissan and Chrysler and the Volvo service department is by far the best that I've dealt with. Unfortunately it will probably be my last Volvo because my next car will need to be bigger and I don't particularly like the S60 or S80 models.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much did the engine mount cost you to change at Volvo? What effect did it have on your car when the motor mount broke?