Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

s40 Proper Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s40 Proper Winterizing

Dear Volvo Enthusiasts,
I have owned a 2002 S40 for two years now. I bought it in Phoenix Arizona. I just moved to Vermont. This will be my first winter with the car, and I'm told it is a serious winter. What should I do to properly winterize the car for normal use? Thanks!

Let me specify:

I am wondering what kind of tires I should get, whether I should get 2 or 4, and whether I should get new wiper blades.

Last edited by MrBeezer; 11-03-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: nobody answered :(
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be able to give input on the wiper blades part. You may want to think about getting winter wiper blades or beam wiper blades if your s40 doesn't already have beam blades on it. Winter Blades are simply conventional blades with a rubber boot covering the movable frame parts to prevent them from clogging up with ice and snow which thus prevents them from stiffening-up and deeming them useless. The new technology beam blades (like trico neoform, trico tech, etc.) do not have all the extra metal framework that becomes a problem in the snow and ice. These blades have been becoming more popular since 2002 and are on about 30-40% of all new vehicles. Because beam blades are streamlined and do not clog, they are called "all-season" blades.

Whether you change your wipers for winter or if you wait until spring, make sure you always use an application guide or computer box at the store to ensure not only the right length, but the right attachment. Now-a-days, you can also look up the right part numbers online (search lookup wiper size).

Best of luck in Vermont!
Jeff

Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it should be any different than winterizing any car. Do some google searches on the subject. I'm not sure how cold it gets up there, but it may be wise to switch to a different viscosity oil.

Also, with turbo'd cars it is best to let the car warm up a few minutes before driving and don't stomp on it before it warms up. You should be good to go!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main things are:

Anti-freeze - Coming from a warm place they may not have used the proper mix (50/50 mix) for cold climate.

Oil viscosity - Again, in the warm climate they likely used a heavier weight oil. In Maryland, I like to run 10W30 in summer and 5W30 (or 5W20) in the winter. The car starts a little easier on cold mornings with the lighter oil.

Window de-icer (window wash anti-freeze) - Often overlooked but essential to prevent your bottle form cracking and to clear away the road salt or other stuff they use to melt ice on the road.

Tires - All season = ok, winter tires = better. These cars have quite a bit of low end torque which is not the best for driving in snow. Do you have traction control? Also, watch your tire pressure as the pressure will decrease as the temperature drops.

Might consider a good coat of wax to protect the paint from the ice melt stuff (salt) and other grime.

Stan