Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

transmission removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission removal?

Hello everyone, I have a project to replace my S40 1.9T engine, i have the replacement engine. question about the transmission. do you think its better to remove the engine and tranny together or should i seperate it while still in the car? has anyone ever done this?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Since you are replacing the engine I would pull both the engine and transmission as one unit from the top. I'm in the process of changing just the transmission on my 2003 S40 and I'm going to try to do it without removing the engine. There is one wire harness that goes to the fuel injection and a few other parts on the motor that does not have a quick connect between the engine and the fuse box which means you have to disconnect all the individual connection points on the engine. In your case you will have to do this anyway and disconnecting all of the transmission wires and axle shafts is very simple. The tough part might be un-bolting the exhaust at the front catalytic convertor given the years of rust and heat.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM

to do the axle shafts i just have to take off the CV boots, loosen suspension and pull out the axels right?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 AM

I am ready to pull the motor/tranny out. just have to go buy a hoist...i will post pics

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM

To remove the axles from the transmission you have to un-bolt the lower bolts on the front struts. This will allow some movement of the hub / verticle link (where the wheel connects) so that you can pull the axle from the transmission. Get the crow bar out and put it between the axle and the transmission (careful not to damage the parts) and pry the axle out (drivers side). On the passenger side you will need to remove the bolts on the strut and the two bolts on the back of the engine that hold the solid shaft to the bearing. The solid shaft will then slide out of the transmission. No removing of the boots and you do not have to pull the axle out of the hub. You might want to strap the axle shafts out of the way so they won't interfere with the lifting of the engine. Where did you disconnect the fuel line?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM

i got the axles out finally with a huge breaker bar. a 5 foot long pipe to get the axle nut off. they popped out easily. to disonnect the fuel line was easy too. it has a quick disconnct at the throttle body. there is a small white plastic piece around the line, push that in and line pops right out. i was hesitant at first because of possible pressure in line so i took the fuel filter out first then wrapped it with a cloth just in case....there was hardly any fuel leakage at all. i got the engine and tranny out this afternoon. pulled out nicely from the top....minus one coolant hose i missed to disconnect. lol