Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   Verify correct cam/crank timing procedure (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/verify-correct-cam-crank-timing-procedure-94510/)

Swells 11-11-2017 07:58 AM

Verify correct cam/crank timing procedure

Hi there,
I'm brand new here to the forum so please bare with me.
Unfortunately I was out of town last month and left my 2004 s40 1.9t with my girlfriend to drive. It's got 200,000 miles on it but I maintain it well. Apon returning home she told me the car broke down. It had been getting harder to start she said. More cranking was needed and it kept getting worse over a course of 3 days. Finally it stopped cranking over. After trying it myself I found that when u turn the key, just the starter coil engages. I thought about possible starter problems first so I pulled the starter and bench tested it. Starter checked ok. Then I decided to jack it up and manually turn engine. Come to find out it was locked up. I pulled the timing covers off to find oil everywhere. Either a cam seal went or possibly the vvt exhaust plunger was leaking. Regardless the timing belt was soaked. I then noticed a large about of slack in the belt. I pulled the mount on that side and ps resivor to get a better look. The tb tentioner was completely loose and out of adjustment. Both cam gear marks were at 10oclockish but I couldn't see the crank Mark. I then decided to Mark everything and pull the belt to start from scratch with the timing. I lined up all marks accordingly and reinstalled new belt and tentenior. I was able to rotate motor by hand from crank pully finally. I'm assuming that timing must have jumped while she was trying to crank it over to start it. Hopefully no damage was done.
I just want to make sure that I did this procedure without missing a step. Engine rotates by hand with no contact.
Basically I just lined up all marks on crank and cam. Made sure nothing moved and put on the new belt and tentioned it. Does this sounds correct for setting timing on that car?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I want to try to fire it up today. Thank you guys for letting me post!!!

pierremcalpine 11-11-2017 02:07 PM

If the engine was run for any length of time while cam and crank were out of synch it is very likely that you bent some valves. Even if you got the timing right you will not be able to start it.

Regarding re-timing, Normally you need to lock the cams to reinstall belt - ideally you lock the crank also using special tools. There are a few good guides out there for how to do this. Google should find a couple for you.

Swells 11-12-2017 12:30 PM

Thank you!!!

Hudini 11-13-2017 01:43 AM

A compression test will tell you if the engine is damaged. There will be no doubt if the valves are bent as you will have zero compression on one or more cylinders.

Swells 11-13-2017 11:47 AM

U guys are the best with the replies and help. I didn't mean to sound ignorant but I've been down this road with an A4 30 valve Audi. That was a good time!!! This Volvo is new to me and I was trying to see if there is a chance that because the car was maybe a tooth out of time could there be no damage?? I'm probably aiming too high here.
also if the s40 does skip timing does the CPS see it and disable the starter??
I drove my S40 down to AutoZone to buy a timing belt and water pump and sure as sh#& the thing didn't restart. I think I tried cranking it a few times and all I could hear was the starter coil engage. It's like the battery didn't have the amps to push the starter. So I had it towed home and that when I noticed all the fun stuff happening within the timing area!!! That's when I pulled the plugs and tried rotating it and I couldn't. I guess I just answered my own question.
Well anyway I went out few days ago to start it and I popped the ignition a few turns and to my surprise there was a god awful sound. The night before I must have dropped a bolt from the ps res. which fell perfectly down through where the motor mount goes and landed perfectly on top of my crank gear. Awesome right!!!! Needless to say I had to replace the tb again and re time the bit#$.
I'm going to try to start her up now. Hudini and pierrem.... U guys are super!!!! Thanks so much for the speedy responses and knowledge. I'll be posting later to say if I was successful or I'm going to ghost ride that God damn car off the biggest Cliff I can find!!!!
Catch u then guys!!!

Swells

pierremcalpine 11-14-2017 09:54 AM

No news...I hope he didn't drive off the cliff with the car!

Hudini 11-15-2017 11:17 PM

Oh I've threatened to set mine on fire before. That heater core o-ring was almost the end of my car. Anyway, I hope we hear something.

Swells 11-16-2017 07:33 AM

Set on fire!!!! Don't give me any ideas!!!!
All kidding aside the SOB fired up!!!! Believe it or not I don't believe I made any valve salad either. I had a feeling that there was no damage only because I simply cranked the thing and then it just sopped!!! Anyway she purrs like a kitten. I let her idle for few mins then re checked timing then drove her ass around the block.
Job accomplished with your help of course. Now that I can do s40 timing blind folded, I'm going to do the head gasket. I got a feeling that if I don't act preventatively that's going to sh#t the bed next. The thing has 200,000 on it. Luckily I'm good with cars and she is my only car!!!! Lol. Actually that's just a bad excuse for being broke!!!! Anyway, Pierre,. Hudini, u guys are the best. Talk to u in a few thousand miles!!!!!
Thanks again
Swells!!!!
Would have been really fun to find that Cliff though!!!¡!!!!

Swells 11-17-2017 10:14 AM

Hey guys I was hoping that you might know of a place where I could download a PDF of cylinder head removal for 2004 S40 (b4204t)
for free of course!! And also do the cam pullys need to be pulled to do this. Thank you