Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

The Volvo S40 rehab

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Volvo S40 rehab

Ok, this is going to be my Volvo S40 rehab/build thread, also I plan to try and post questions as I think of them here to minimize forum clutter and help the mods/admins control the clutter anyways here goes and hopefully this is the proper forum for this.

Started work on our Volvo, 90k and some change on the clock, had a cylinder 2 misfire code so replaced all spark plugs with iridium plugs and its performing much better now, how ever a few other issues have cropped up. The bonnet knocks the driver side wiper arm (see pic), also I need to recharge the AC soon so I'm trying to find more tech info on how many pounds of gas/liquid need to be put in once I get a fresh vac pulled.

Another thing I want to figure out before I break the car is do the wiper arms have a cap on them to reveal a T-10 type screw to hold them in place? Or how do I go about getting them off?

The pics

And thanks for all your help guys and gals

Last edited by Bluevolvos40; 07-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cast arms bend over time, a common issue on the driver's side. You can buy a new arm or try moving the hood forward a bit (4 bolts) and/or take the plastic cover off at the base of the windshield and put in some washers to lower the wiper stem (3 nuts requires 3 washer under the steel mounting plate). Pop the plastic cover off the arm and there is a nut to remove then the arm, 10mm I think. All these things are easily done.

There is a label under the hood (bonnet) that specs the AC, it's 1.9 lbs capacity as I recall

Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 PM

Ok cool, glad to hear that the bonnet can get resolved quickly, also the moon roof (skylight?) when sitting in its natural closed position seems to sit lower then the main roof line, is there a way to adjust it as I can use my hand to push it up into place and it shouldn't move I would think, pics can be taken if needed

Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 PM

ok update, got the arm fixed in an odd way but hey it worked with no headachs at all!!! as I was trying option 3 (removing the plastic thing infront of the windscreen) the sig other wanted to run to the store so I stopped what I was doing which was removed the wiper arm at that point and the cap revealing a screw, so i popped the cap back on and the sig other took said car, so after they returned I was starting to fiddle with the arm a bit and decided its too late so all I did was put it back on and seated it proper and pushed it down hard so its on there (can still remove it if needed) and bam the hood and arm clear each other, no modifications needed!!! thanks guys, your suggestions did help too!!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM

I read previously on a forum (can't find it now) that the S40/V40 has that wiper blade contacting the bonnet edge as a specific model design fault to the drivers side.
The base section of the arms are cast alloy so can't be bent down to clear unfortunately but the packing washers to force the splined stems down a couple of millimeters was the suggested solution in that forum post also, as I recall.
Mine also does it and it bugs me but is still on the 'to do' list.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2001 driver's side wiper arm also hits the hood. Glad you found a fix.

The A/C is rather easy to fill. Find the receiver/drier below the driver's side headlight. With a good light watch the sight glass on top of the receiver/drier as you fill the system. With a very low charge you will see many small bubbles moving past the sight glass. As you add more R134a the bubbles will get bigger and there will be fewer of them. When full the bubbles disappear. Stop charging at that point.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by difflock54
I read previously on a forum (can't find it now) that the S40/V40 has that wiper blade contacting the bonnet edge as a specific model design fault to the drivers side.
The base section of the arms are cast alloy so can't be bent down to clear unfortunately but the packing washers to force the splined stems down a couple of millimeters was the suggested solution in that forum post also, as I recall.
Mine also does it and it bugs me but is still on the 'to do' list.
On ours all I did was just pull it off and reseat it in place and tap (very gently) with 7oz claw hammer, need to reseat it as it goes a bit too far and bangs the edge of the window, other then that it's working great now

Originally Posted by Hudini
My 2001 driver's side wiper arm also hits the hood. Glad you found a fix.

The A/C is rather easy to fill. Find the receiver/drier below the driver's side headlight. With a good light watch the sight glass on top of the receiver/drier as you fill the system. With a very low charge you will see many small bubbles moving past the sight glass. As you add more R134a the bubbles will get bigger and there will be fewer of them. When full the bubbles disappear. Stop charging at that point.
When you say R134a are we talking the gas or the liquid? By referencing the bubbles I assume I need to be filling the low side with the liquid in the cans not the gAs. Am I correct in this? Tomorrow I may just evac the entire system and just pull a fresh vac on it and recharge to 1.9£ as it should be.

also at first the car wasn't that great but now honestly is really starting to grow on me and I do enjoy driving it to and from work and the car is an enjoyable car, however I also am having a hard time figureing out how to set the CD player to repeat songs at times...any clues on that would be nice also...

Thanks!!

Last edited by Bluevolvos40; 07-26-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 PM

R134a comes in cans of liquid. However, you want to charge your system with the can upright so that the liquid turns to vapor (boils at -26.3* C) as it flows into the low side. Remember, the low side is vapor and is compressed (by the compressor ) to a hot high pressure vapor that condenses (via the condenser ) into a warm liquid which flows into the receiver/drier. The receiver/drier has a little piece of clear glass on top so that you can view the liquid and the bubbles suspended in it. A full system charge will have no bubbles. A slightly low system charge will have a few big bubbles. A really low system charge will have many small bubbles like foam. If you charge from a full vacuum you can easily watch the transformation. Just be careful to add the R134a with the can upright so that only vapor enters the low side. The compressor will be damaged if you turn the can upside down and dump liquid in. This is important, you CANNOT compress a liquid!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Ok just wanted to be sure, as the truck is different and don't want to cause issues, so I just may drain it tomorrow and recharge with gas only to be safe

Also hard are a few washers I used that are just a tiny bit larger then the screws

Old 07-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Ok got the pass wiper arm bent a bit so it now hugs the window better, yay!!! Now to fine three washers more and put them on the wiper arm unit and should be good to go

Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 PM

About the moon roof how heck can I adjust it to it site flush with the body? It seems to sag some.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Not uncommon, my 02 sits down 1/8" at the back too. I just don't know if was flush at some point.

this may help
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ovement-30477/

Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by s40_Ontario
Not uncommon, my 02 sits down 1/8" at the back too. I just don't know if was flush at some point.

this may help
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ovement-30477/

Thanks, I think that will definatly help!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM

Ok now I got the spark plugs changed out, and the car is running much smoother, how ever now I'm getting a P0456 "Evaporitive Emissions System Leak Detected (very small leak)" so now I just need to diagnose that and figure out how to resolve the wiper arm issue as one of the screws I think went into the plastic and just apons now...

I wonder what ever happened with making things out of metal....

Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM

The plastic in the headlight housing tends to break too. Be careful when changing bulbs.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 AM

thanks for the heads up Hudini, at this time all work on the Volvo has grinded to a halt, a few days ago the Volvo was hit, and the entire right side damaged, it still is fully driveable (thankfully) but im trying to prioritize the damage so I can replan the rehab. thats all I can say at this time due to insurance being involved, but I do plan to try and get the Volvo properly repaired.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't use spring washers to pack down the wiper spline shaft.
What you need are flat washers which also have a wider surface contact area.
Will have to hunt out some to do mine sometime soon.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by difflock54
I wouldn't use spring washers to pack down the wiper spline shaft.
What you need are flat washers which also have a wider surface contact area.
Will have to hunt out some to do mine sometime soon.
I agree, I was using a mix of both, but I kinda found this out the hard way oh well, however some good news, I went to the pick and pull found a 2003 Volvo S40 and snatched both wiper arms and put the drivers side on first and it not only fits but success!!! The bonnet clears the arm perfectly! So I'm quite thrilled about it! Now i just need to procure a pass corner lamp and tail lamp too, and that will take care of the Volvo for now until I can find the pass doors....and front and maybe rear quarter panels...uuuuug!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Update still searching for the tail lamp and corner lamp, pick and pull didn't have either and I checked two different locations too oh well, did get the pass wiper on as well and it holds to the window much better now as well!

Update on the sun roof, ajusted te way it sits and tightened the screws and its much better, reps for the thread on it! It helped a lot!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 AM

Volvo launched the enhanced second-generation S40 halfway through 2004. Design is sportier and more enhanced, as are the vehicle's drive and managing characteristics. Additionally, there are now two engine options, along with a turbocharged five-cylinder. Though it still doesn't have the reputation or athleticism of its In german competitors, the newest Volvo S40 costs less and still offers a lot of improvement, style and convenience.

Quick Reply: The Volvo S40 rehab