Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Where is the MAP sensor located?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the MAP sensor located?

I have a 2001 S40 with 140,000 on it. Over the past year I've been putting up with a hesitation under acceleration. It's getting bad enough that it's time to get it fixed! I originally pulled a MAF code so I replaced it after cleaning didn't work. Things improved with the new MAF but I am still getting the hesitation and the P0107 code for the MAP sensor. I guess I'll try replacing that, too.

Can someone tell me where the MAP sensor is located?
Does anyone have a pic they could post?
Is it easy to change the MAP?

Thanks much!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM

There's a pic of the map sensor here:

2000-2004 Volvo S40 1.9 Turbo MAP Sensor

On the S70, the map sensor is on the intercooler pipe, just before the etm.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. I researched a little more with the dealer parts department today and they said there were actually two MAP's on the car, both with the same part number. One is on the hose near the radiator and the other is under the fuel rail.

Has anyone replaced the one under the fuel rail? I'm just wondering how much trouble it is for the average idiot like me.

Should I pay $117 from the dealer or order a Bosch online for $79?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 AM

I think there is one in the intercooler and one in the intake manifold. I believe they are exactly the same sensor. The one in the intercooler measures pressure there. The one attached to the intake manifold does not acutally measure intake pressure but ambient pressure. It is a reference. I found the one in the intercooler was bad. The one on the intake manifold is actually very easy to replace after you move a couple of simple parts out of the way. I got mine from IPD for about $83 each. They are manufactured by Bosch.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the reply oldacura. How did it go with the one in the intercooler. Were you able to replace that one without much trouble?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

The one on top of the intercooler is really easy. One nut & one connector. There are a couple of plastic fingers that snap it into place. Be careful. I broke one of the fingers getting the old one out.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Question Getting P0107 as well

Hello all, I am having this same problem on my 171,000 mile 2000 S40. Based on your posts I have been able to locate the map sensor on the manifold and will be able to change it easily.

My problem is locating the other map sensor you guys are describing on the intercooler. I have a schematic I found online here:
Intercooler 4CYL TURBO 2000-. Fits: S40, V40 | VolvoPartsWebstore.com

But when I look, I cannot see the sensor where the schematic says it should be. Can anyone help?

Here are a few pics of the area the schematic says it should be but I see nothing. The first pic is from behind:

Name:  LyOff.jpg
Views: 2794
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  oD0dU.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  999OS.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  C2GYA.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  48.7 KB

Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 AM

The sensor is located in the red box below. Not sure how to remove it, but I am guessing it is pretty straight forward. I will look today and maybe take a few pictures.

Name:  MAPSensor.jpg
Views: 50546
Size:  43.3 KB

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Ok, thank you very much Choguy03. But my next question is if I am getting the map sensor code, how do I know which one it is? The one you have squared in red or the one on the manifold? They are actually a different type of sensor unlike one of the posts below saying they might be the same.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM

I am only finding one on this car. It is a 2000 S40 correct? I have the same car.

Name:  MAPSensor-1.gif
Views: 34315
Size:  36.0 KB

So I would say replace it. I also only see one type for this car too, so my guess is there is only one. I know the op said otherwise, but I really can't confirm of deny since I have never searched for the other one or called the dealer.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM

There are two MAP sensors on the car and both of them have the exact same part number. They are both very easy to replace. You need to remove the black plastic cover below the Oil Fill Cap (two hex bolts) and then you can look down and see it between cylinders 3 & 4 or look up under the aluminum rail from the bottom side.

Unhook the electric plug, pull out the bolt on the MAP sensor, use a screw driver to pop out the sensor, and replace the new one. Quick and easy.

Attached Thumbnails Where is the MAP sensor located?-volvos40motor.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 AM

After talking and visiting the dealer, it looks like for the 2000 S40 there is only one and it is on the manifold. The other thing on the intercooler is a temperature sensor.

Funny thing is when I went to the dealer and looked at their schematics, they were incorrect for my car. They then came out and looked under the hood and confirmed it was not like their schematics and that there was only one MAP sensor in the 2000. Then they wanted to know if I still wanted the temp sensor. I said why would I want the temp sensor if I am getting the MAP code. They had no answer and gave me a stupid look. Dealers are a complete rip off and many times clueless. I'm just glad I now have an independent volvo mechanic here in town. Turned out after replacing the one MAP sensor my code reader was not properly erasing the code and it kept showing up. I went to my mechanic and his reader erased the code and everything seems good now. I also had a bad alternator as well.

Thanks for the help from all.

jdw2001
Texas

Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 AM

Good to hear you got this fixed. So what looks like the MAP on what I showed you is actually a temp sensor? That is interesting, even the Chilton DIY shows that it is the MAP sensor. Amazing how manuals are written and are wrong.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Yea, I don't know what is going on. I did replace the one Slowbuttsure describes between cylinders 3 & 4 but if there is another one according to he, where is it? I would like to know.

That one on the intercooler on mine is a temp sensor. It is completely different from the MAP sensor between 3 & 4. I took it out and looked at it.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 PM

I looked at your pics again and then checked my car again. (Mine is a 2001) It appears mine does have a second MAP sensor a little further up the tube just above the temp sensor where yours does not. I didn't realize there were any changes between the 2000 and 2001 models.

I am definetly no expert on this subject. My dealer showed me the schematics for both MAP sensor locations and they both showed the same part number. Apparently one measures boost and the other barometric pressure. I wasn't sure which one to replace first but I started with the one on the intake manifold and luckily found the problem there. Didn't have to touch the one above the intercooler.

It is still amazing to me that I fought this problem for so long and had the dealer quote me such an outrageous price only to fix it myself for $82 and 10 minutes later with a stupid little electrical sensor. (Once I found the actual MAP sensor locations that is). My car has been running great ever since.

Last edited by Slowbuttsure; 05-11-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 AM

Isn't it great when things work out like that?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM

I guess that is the difference in the 00 vs the 01. I have one MAP and you have two. Either way, it is running great now no thanks to the dealer. You know once you learn just a little bit about cars, you really see how the dealers are just ripping people out of gobs of money. When I went to the dealer, I was amazed at how many people were workers in that parts dept. It looked like 12 people doing the work of 2. No wonder they charge so much for their service and parts. They have to pay all those extra workers to do nothing.

On a side note, they wanted over $500 for a new alternator and my mechanic got it for $275. Dealers are from hell...

Thanks all,

jdw2001
Texas

Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 PM

hi
i have 2000 s40 the vacuum hose is off the m.a.p sensor under the plastic cover located were the oxgyen sensor connect my question is. is there a vacumm hose that connects to it? if so does anyone have a diagram if it has fallen off completey how do i go about fixing the probelm any advice would help because volvo dosent seam to know what im talking about
many thank

Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

bw77 posted a picture from the parts store on page 1. Slowbuttsure said "Unhook the electric plug, pull out the bolt on the MAP sensor, use a screw driver to pop out the sensor, and replace the new one." Based on the above I'd say there is no vacuum hose on the MAP sensor. It plugs into a hole on the intake (on the 2000 there is only one) and is held in with a bolt. You can clearly see the O-ring in the picture to seal from any air leaks.

Are you getting a check engine light?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM

I realize I'm pinging a thread from last year, but I'm having some similar issues/concerns as raised in this thread (and have lurked for a bit before finally posting now!).

My confusion lies with the number/naming of the different MAP and MAF sensors. I originally was getting a MAF code to go along with occasional stalling at idle. Mechanic replaced the idle valve controller but that did not have any effect. Car still stalls at idle sometimes, mostly when warm and when hill driving is involved. Now the codes are for MAP sensor and the DSA light comes on. Now CEL code shows MAP and mechanic didn't know what to do but decided to swap the two identical MAP sensors to see if that changed anything. It did not.

Bit the bullet and took it to the dealer who diagnosed as MAP sensor failure, but claims there is only 1. I've read here and elsewhere that the 2001 S40 has 2 MAP sensors. Am I confusing the MAP with MAF? Is the 'boost' sensor really one of the MAPs and the second MAP is just the MAP? What the heck is going on with these names.. and which one should I replace (or both the 'boost' and MAP?)?

Any help is appreciated

Quick Reply: Where is the MAP sensor located?