Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Where to Send Dim for Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Where to Send Dim for Repair

Hi,

Would somebody happen to know where I could send my 2004 S60 Dim out for repair, or could I do it myself. I read that the voltage regulator needed to be re-soldered. But thats what I read. I'm from N.H.

Thank You
Richard

The following users liked this post:
JessHasSwedSpeed (12-28-2020)
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dim

Thank You Tech, but do they send you a reman or can you send yours in for repair?

Thank You
Richard

Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

They I believe fix yours then send it back.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is a DIM/Instrument Cluster Refurb company near Boston, MA

We just had our DIM refurbed through BBA Remaufacturing Inc. http://stores.ebay.com/BBA-Remanufacturing-Inc 866 573-2740 Near Boston ... Taunton, MA. They had a special on ebay for overnight shipping. They have really good reviews and once we paid online they emailed us with the shipping label. It was simple to remove the whole instrument panel/cluster. In 45 mins from paying we boxed it and dropped it off at Staples to overnighted it. They fixed our DIM the next morning and turned it around that day. (Refurbing your DIM keeps the cars actual mileage intact - as opposed to buying salvage - which might also be bad) We thought about having a computer savvy friend check and re-solder the DIM's capacitors ( see this forum http://www.volvo-forums.com/t13321-d...d-problems.htm ) - but felt more comfortable with BAA because of the lifetime warranty. The dealer was going to charge over $1000 for the new DIM plus 3 hrs labor. BAA charged $339. Once re-installed the codes will need to be cleared. DIM first, THEN from the SRS module. We don't have the diagnostic tool, so we went back to the dealer. They cleared the codes for $47 labor. Our Volvo dealer now recommends this solution for customers with used Volvo's out of warranty. We just bought it 10,000 miles ago for $3000. Other threads mention instrument cluster/DIM remanufacturing companies in CA and VA.

Last edited by 2002VolvoS60; 07-08-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: corrected website
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM

great link, as my instrument cluster(dim) just went any idea on how long it take for the unit to arrive? I am in a bind as my daughter starts college next week and I have been using her car! thanks for the link tech and lionhearted if you can tell how long you waited that would be great! thanks again

Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 PM

i am just sending out my dim for repair hope to have it back in 3 days they tell me, update......received it back in 3 days....everything works great and it appears like it was a brand new unit; great job they did, and since they shipped it to my house instead of the shop they refunded me back half of the cost of shipping! I would recommend anyone needing their DIM repaired to use this Xemodex very customer oriente

Last edited by patsfn2; 11-18-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM

XeModex is great, I have had two of mine done there, make sure you do the overnight shipping if you need it right away, they are in CANADA and it will take a week plus otherwise. They know what they are doing and stand behind their work.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 AM

Great thread guys. Going through the same situation myself. My Console Cluster (DIM) is begining to become erratic. I did the same thing found what looks like a reputable service in TN. Going to bring up the Youtube video this weekend and see if I can't get get this sucker out and off to where it need to be.

Also I far from a mechanic or an electrical one at that. But doing a little research. Everything I found says that even if you get a Console Cluster(DIM) off a salvage car somebody still has to clone the info from your old one onto the new one. So all the Mileage and everything matches up. Or else it won't work. I am guessing it keeps from people trying to doctor the mileage in a car for resale.

Anyways I will update you guys on how it goes when it get it back. Got 164k on my s60 was bummed when this first happened because I was looking forward to getting to the 200k mark. No way was I going to spend $1200 plus labor, etc at a dealership for a new one. Looks like this is going to be $200 for the service and whatever it costs me to send them the unit.

Thanks again, for all the great posts. For basically an idiot when it comes to engines and electronics you guys have helped me save a ton of money and do allot of my own maintenance I never though was possible.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Got my Dashboard Cluster (DIM) for my 02' s60 back yesterday. Purchased the repair service off eBay from seller: euro-electric based out of TN. Everything seems to be fixed. The service was just under $200 plus the $10-15 it cost me to send them the cluster. It was extremely easy to take out there where several youtube video's. Pull out one plastic pc, 4 screws and unplug. Very simple. Quick turn around I sent it in 2 day shipping, one day of fixing it then out the next day. Sent it on a Tuesday and got it back the next Monday.

Overall everything seems to be in working order. Not more erratic behavior which is nice. I still have the SRS Aribag message that Cluster Failure triggered. So at some point I will likely have to get that cleared up. But as other members have mentioned this was much cheaper than the $1200+ I have been hearing to replace the Dash Cluster.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Default Another S60 Cluster Success Story

Hey Gang,

I just wanted to add my thanks to "2002VolvoS60" for the head's up on BBA Reman. I had an "SRS-Service Urgent" message with an SRS-00D4 code. The code indicated an LED failure in the DIM.

After reading this thread and researching all of the companies mentioned, it looked to me like BBA Reman was the biggest and most experienced in this field, in my opinion. I found them on Ebay and it turns out that the cost of their repair service has been reduced to $181.69--probably due to competition I suppose. They also provided a lifetime warranty on their work.

2003 S60 Volvo Instrument Cluster Repair Service 03 | eBay

I shipped my cluster on Friday afternoon and they received it on Tuesday at 12:35 pm. At 2:16 pm (less than 2 hours later!) I received an e-mail with tracking information for the return! The turnaround was so fast that I was worried that they found nothing wrong and I had wasted my money sending them the wrong part!

I received the part on Thursday at around 6 pm. It included instructions to have the codes cleared by a qualified technician. However, I don't trust the dealers for anything, so I researched and purchased my own scan tool that could handle this task. I bought the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802.

Autel/MaxiDiag Elite code reader (AULMD802) | Code Reader | AutoZone.com_

I found it listed on Ebay for about $330 but I was worried about getting a Chinese counterfeit or having to deal with a Chinese supplier. I looked for a domestic source and found that Autozone sells them online for $400 but also runs regular rebates for online purchases. So, I ended up getting it from Autozone with free shipping and a $100 gift card as a rebate! So I got it for $30 less than the Ebay sellers.

I received it within a couple of days of my order and I read the whole book and connected it to my S60 and...voila! No more SRS message!

I know I could have gotten my codes cleared for way less than $300, but typical charges at the dealer are around $100 just to hook their computer to your car. With all the other problems that may crop up on an 11-year old car, I figure I'll be needing this tool again in the future.

Also, there are actually 5 different models of the MaxiDiag Elite. The one I got was the most expensive because it can do just about any car you can think of. If you only need to do European cars, you can just buy the model that does that. Same for American, or Asian, etc.

Any questions, drop me a note!

Thanks again to the other forum members for their information!

Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Default Volvo dim repair 2003 s60 wow

I sent my dashboard to BBA Remanufacturing (found them on ebay) and just got my dash back today. Re-installed it myself and it works great. The best part is, I am a woman! Actually, the best part is that instead of paying my dealer $1100, they did it for $200. It was a special. Unbelieveable!
Go BBA!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Default 2003 Volvo s60 150k

Gents,

First off, thank you for your help. You have saved me hundreds of dollars in the past, and I have only now created a username and password because I have a couple questions I can't seem to find the answer too. So thank you again for your insight and free knowledge, it is much appreciated.

I too fear that I may now have an issue with my DIM. The console cluster completely cut out while I was driving a week ago and has become erratic ever since, reappearing with the same SRS Airbag message that Willoughby is mentioning. My two questions to the forum are, 1. How detrimental is it to leave the problem as is for a while until I can gather funding? Will it cause significant damage if I leave as is until I can figure out that this is 100% the problem?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The DIMs that had issues are not made by Ford.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing an internet search and it is amazing how many people have had this DIM issue on their Volvo. To me it seems that someone someplace in the manufacturing chain had to know. I guess if the manufacturers who knew about faulty ignition switches on GM cars and knew for 3 years....Volvo may have known but determined the DIM to be a non-issue.

Although when the dash goes out on the freeway doing 75 MPH would be a problem.

On my Jaguar the attack seat belts had an issue and because of it Jaguar had to warranty the belts for the life of the vehicle.

"GM employees, from engineers to executives, were aware of the problem, acting administrator David Friedman told reporters at a news conference after U.S. transportation officials "

I am going to try the ebay seller mentioned in this thread. I could try to do it myself, my son has had good results re-flowing computer boards but for the ebay price, why even try myself.

This thread has a DIY for fixing the problem.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...g-47216/page3/

Originally Posted by ES6T
The DIMs that had issues are not made by Ford.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 PM

I wonder which other scanners can re-set the code. I have two scanners. One was a $50 scanner and the other was on sale for $100 (normally @ $150) but it didn't recognize the SRS Service code.

Originally Posted by SnowmanPA
Hey Gang,

I just wanted to add my thanks to "2002VolvoS60" for the head's up on BBA Reman. I had an "SRS-Service Urgent" message with an SRS-00D4 code. The code indicated an LED failure in the DIM.

After reading this thread and researching all of the companies mentioned, it looked to me like BBA Reman was the biggest and most experienced in this field, in my opinion. I found them on Ebay and it turns out that the cost of their repair service has been reduced to $181.69--probably due to competition I suppose. They also provided a lifetime warranty on their work.

2003 S60 Volvo Instrument Cluster Repair Service 03 | eBay

I shipped my cluster on Friday afternoon and they received it on Tuesday at 12:35 pm. At 2:16 pm (less than 2 hours later!) I received an e-mail with tracking information for the return! The turnaround was so fast that I was worried that they found nothing wrong and I had wasted my money sending them the wrong part!

I received the part on Thursday at around 6 pm. It included instructions to have the codes cleared by a qualified technician. However, I don't trust the dealers for anything, so I researched and purchased my own scan tool that could handle this task. I bought the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802.

Autel/MaxiDiag Elite code reader (AULMD802) | Code Reader | AutoZone.com_

I found it listed on Ebay for about $330 but I was worried about getting a Chinese counterfeit or having to deal with a Chinese supplier. I looked for a domestic source and found that Autozone sells them online for $400 but also runs regular rebates for online purchases. So, I ended up getting it from Autozone with free shipping and a $100 gift card as a rebate! So I got it for $30 less than the Ebay sellers.

I received it within a couple of days of my order and I read the whole book and connected it to my S60 and...voila! No more SRS message!

I know I could have gotten my codes cleared for way less than $300, but typical charges at the dealer are around $100 just to hook their computer to your car. With all the other problems that may crop up on an 11-year old car, I figure I'll be needing this tool again in the future.

Also, there are actually 5 different models of the MaxiDiag Elite. The one I got was the most expensive because it can do just about any car you can think of. If you only need to do European cars, you can just buy the model that does that. Same for American, or Asian, etc.

Any questions, drop me a note!

Thanks again to the other forum members for their information!

Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 AM

Looking to get another scan tool, one that will reset air bag warning lights. Mine is great for codes but doesn't do the warning lights.

Found a list of scanners that may do it and the list is for a lot of cars. Thought this may be of interest to some........

Vehicle Airbag Scanner List - Scan Airbag Systems - Airbag Scanner Information

Volvo --Airbag codes can only be read and system cleared with a European Airbag specific scanner with Volvo software
Scanners capable of reading and resetting codes: Maxdiag, Autel, Launch

Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The DIM going out is not a safety concern. You mean to say that if you are cruising along at 75 and the speedometer stops working, you immediately panic and have no clue how fast you are going?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 PM

I used BBA and the turn around time was great, it works fine. I had to get the SRS light turned off at a local Swedish car shop. They turned off the light for $10 plus tax.

Everything is fixed, working fine, has a lifetime warranty and all for under $200.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Smile BBA fixed my DIM!

Last Monday my DIM went haywire. The dealership diagnosed the problem over the phone and offered a $1,600 repair. Thanks to you fine folks, I found BBS, shipped off my DIM (I pulled the part last Thursday BY MYSELF!!!) and got it back today. Three business days later, Sven and I are back on the road and fully operable. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Quick Reply: Where to Send Dim for Repair