Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

"SRS - Airbag Service URGENT" message after botched "pro" XM install

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "SRS - Airbag Service URGENT" message after botched "pro" XM install

I paid a "pro" at an electronics chain which shall remain unnamed (two words starting with a "B" -figure it out), and not only did he screw me on the install, but he f-ed something up because now I have the "SRS - Airbag Service URGENT" message coming up.

I paid for an install of an Xpress unit, which is on sale now, and it's all I need, with a FM modulator installed straight in the back, so that I can connect my Sansa player (Ihave been a very happyRhapsody customer since the very beginning) in the newly installed "aux" jack.

Of course he did not install the FM modulator, just installed the battery hookup in the back, the sat antenna, and made me pay for the rest of the parts for nothing.

And when he handed me the keys, he gave me a stupid excuse for the message, about the factthatI had something on the passenger seat (about 2 pounds of junk) and that triggered the sensor, and that I should go and get the system reset, because now I have that message showing up.

Of course, tomorrow I am back at B... B.. and will ask to talk to a manager, get my money back, and make sure they will cover any repair if they damaged the airbag system...

Seriously, is this a common error message and what does it mean?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: "SRS - Airbag Service URGENT" message after botched "pro" XM install

Alot of times it is common when the battery is messed with.

I will bet he either left the key on and killed the battery or disconnected something then turned the key on.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Default RE: "SRS - Airbag Service URGENT" message after botched "pro" XM install

the SRS airbag light message will come on if thew AC/heater control unit below the radio is removed without disconnecting the battery.

The airbags are working, but you will need a dealer to remove the message.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Can I reset it myself with an OBDII reader?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Only if it is a really good one that reads SRS codes.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Ya its no big deal, i had the same message pop up after i installed an aftermarket unit into my car without disconnecting the battery. Incidentally my wife crashed the car several months later and very fortunately the airbags worked fine. You should definately mention to the manager that not only was this poor workmanship, the installer also totally BS'ed you about the front seat thing since that is in no way related to why that message appears.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 PM

i have worked for them.. and i have triggered this on mine as well.. he probably unhooked a seat or something without taking the battery off... soo you take it to a dealer get it reset.. costs about $80.. take the recipt back to the store aske for the store director or "MOD" tell them the story give them the recipt and they will pay for the repair..

Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Well, I managed to get their attention and they have promised they would pay for it, plus a $50 gift coupon which will be handy comes XMas.

What I disliked is the techie's attitude, who lied to me and then was very confrontational and disrespectful.

This kid is going to have to adjust his attitude or he's going to have some troubles soon.

Rant off.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM

trust me i know what you mean i word in the isntall department of C city, and b buy. and they hire some dumb *** kids sometimes that first of all dont have a clue what they are doing and pretty much have an attitude.. well im glad to hear you got ur car taken car of .

Old 04-16-2010, 04:16 PM

This message has popped up on my '05 V70 after merely checking the interior lighting fuse! The only dealer is 4 hours round trip away so how to reset it??

Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the dumb guy and the store that shall not be named...he unhooked your airbag system without unhooking your battery, the simple fact is that its a delicate system and simply hooking up the battery can at times damage it.
you need to spend something in the neighborhood of $200 to get your CCM reprogrammed and or reset, that is unless your Volvo dealership likes you.