Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

01 s60 T5 plans and advice

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 s60 T5 plans and advice

So next week im picking up a manual s60 T5. After finding this forum all I've done for two days is read up on the vehicle and put together a game plan for the car.

I dont have maint. records but it was a one owner with 160k miles. From what I know this was traded in so the couple must have got a new vehicle. Based on all this im confident it was well maintained but I cant be certain til I can get it home and look over it thoroughly. Im new to Volvos so id hate for this to turn south on me.

After doing research I believe the first thing I should do is stage zero. That way I am starting on a pretty clean slate. Although it being a manual im not sure if I need to do the trans flush or not.

Next I plan on doing a boost gauge. This will be my first turbo car and from what I've read is a valuable tool to install.

After this I will probably wait a while as I need to save money. But eventually im thinking OBX down-pipe and cat-back exhaust. Then IPD softloader.

Would love to hear some opinions on this and thanks for all the information you guys share!

Last edited by ATControl20; 05-19-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:10 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.
First thing that I would do is to change the timing belt just to be on the safe side since you don't seem to have maintenance records. And have it checked by a trustworthy mechanic so that you can know what needs to be fixed (if needed) and come up with a budget...Pay particular attention to suspension mounts and components as they are known to wear out.
I had belt + suspension done on mine for $ 550.
Once you're satisfied that everything's fine then you can go ahead with tuning. Choose a reputable tuning company and go for stage 1 (ecu remap+software loader) you will gain 30-40 Bhp. Stage 2 comprises of inox / modified cat back and does not add any extra hp, is rather like a prep for stage 3 which will add another 20 hp with a 3" downpipe.
Imo, go for stage1 first, pair it with a nice set of rims and decent tires and then decide if you need to go further. As for the gauge, you don't really need that item on a low pressure turbo machine. Instead of that, save the $ for a turbo timer.
By all means give a wide berth to "cheap" tuning garages and those who promise wonders. At best you'll gain nothing...worst case scenario...well, beware of "washing hands".
Good luck, enjoy your ride!

Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 AM

thanks for the advice ill keep all that in mind!