Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   01 S60 Transmission (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/01-s60-transmission-50995/)

cordoba 03-03-2011 01:17 PM

01 S60 Transmission

Just got the bad news call from the dealer. Needs a new tranny. They want 6K.

They said the fluid was burnt. It was drained and filled exactly 1 year ago and this time they told me a drain and fill won't do anything. I need to buy more time.

Anyone know what the typical cost of a rebuilt tranny would cost to have put in at a tranny shop?

Transmission_Guy 03-03-2011 03:09 PM

6K is just ridiculous! These transmissions are expensive because of the high wear rates of a component called the valve body. The part costs in upwards of $1,000 by itself. Still, an independent shop should be able to do the job for less than $4,000. That being a worst case scenario, $3,000 would be a good average. Let me know if you need help finding a shop in your area.

cordoba 03-03-2011 06:30 PM

Thanks. I knew it was ridiculous.

Called these guys and going to see him next week. Said if it's the transmission anywhere from 2500-3K but he needs to see it.

http://www.precisetransmission.com/index.html

Nataku 03-04-2011 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by cordoba (Post 259320)
Just got the bad news call from the dealer. Needs a new tranny. They want 6K.

They said the fluid was burnt. It was drained and filled exactly 1 year ago and this time they told me a drain and fill won't do anything. I need to buy more time.

Anyone know what the typical cost of a rebuilt tranny would cost to have put in at a tranny shop?

What was the issue? Was it slipping? A drain and fill not doing anything? It replaces the old fluid with new fluid and I cannot see the fluid being "burnt" within 1 year, unless you only did the drain and fill once, thus leaving 2/3 of the old fluid still in the transmission.

Jimincheney 03-05-2011 09:12 AM

hmmm. my 2002 at 100,000 miles is begining to slip after I let off the accelerator, coast a bit , then re-accelerate. what do you think, trade the car?

Manu Noypi 03-05-2011 02:46 PM

Trade in those 01-02s and get 03s or newer. They have trans. problems and it's gonna cost you.

Transmission_Guy 03-06-2011 12:40 PM

It really depends on if you like the car or not. Yes, the transmissions are expensive, but so is a new car. If you don't like the car anymore then trade it in fast before the transmission problem takes trade in or sale value away.

Originally Posted by Jimincheney (Post 259627)
hmmm. my 2002 at 100,000 miles is begining to slip after I let off the accelerator, coast a bit , then re-accelerate. what do you think, trade the car?

ecoughlin 03-06-2011 01:43 PM

Trade in those 01-02s and get 03s or newer. They have trans. problems and it's gonna cost you.

Really? 2002 not good? Hmmm. I ll have to look into that. Too late for me though. Just baought a 2002 S60.

cordoba 03-06-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nataku (Post 259473)
What was the issue? Was it slipping? A drain and fill not doing anything? It replaces the old fluid with new fluid and I cannot see the fluid being "burnt" within 1 year, unless you only did the drain and fill once, thus leaving 2/3 of the old fluid still in the transmission.

The issue is, that after driving for about 45 min in stop and go traffic the down shifts into 1st and 2nd when coming to a stop are very pronounced. Also, if you shift from reverse back into drive there is a 2-3 second delay before it kicks in. It doesn't always produce these symptoms as I can drive the car for the same amount of time on open road and it shifts fine.

Did the drain and fill 1 year ago and when they looked at it last week they said it was burnt. It was only done once in the last year.

I'll be going to a transmission shop this week and will report back. They already said, could be the valve body but if it needs a rebuilt tranny it's $1500-2000.

C.P. 03-19-2011 06:09 PM

My 2001 S60 transmission went bad. Took it to AAMCO, where I was told it would be 2500-3500 depending on what they saw when they tore it apart. Well, 4500.00 later I get the car back and the transmission still isnt right. Have had it back several times. What is happening is that about 32-40 MPH it shifts back and forth between gears. AAMCO has told me that it isnt anything that they have repaired and that it is something in the car other than the transmission. I believe that they dont know what it is and are done dealing with me. Not sure what to do now, but my advice is to avoid AAMCO.

Nataku 03-19-2011 10:24 PM

If the Service Transmission light didn't come on then it could be some other things. There are some other things that can cause issues:

- Replace the B4 Servo cover.

B4 Servo Cover Update

" The AW55-50/51SN (5 speed) automatic transmissions in 2001-2002 models have an issue with shift “flares” and other odd symptoms related to shifting in and out of 3rd gear. Usually, this is exhibited by a “missed” shift from 2nd to 3rd gear on a random basis.

This B4 servo cover update can solve these symptoms in most cases. Other times, it may take a software update or the B4 problem has gone on too long and damaged the transmission (hard gear engagements, etc.)

Volvo has changed the design of this cover multiple times. There are numerous bulletins regarding it. The replacement cover is stock on later cars.

The irony is that this inexpensive part can save someone from a costly transmission replacement."

- Software updates. These need to be done at the dealer. Make sure you have the latest software update.

- Transmission mount.

Heavy Duty Polyurethane Transmission Mount

I've done the B4 servo cover, transmission mount and the drain & fill 3 times on my '01 T5 and it's improved a lot but I still get the clunk/delay into Drive from P or R and harder shifts from1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd about 70% of the time. It's better when it's warmer out. I need to get the software updates checked. Since it's intermittant and gets better with warm weather, I have a strong feeling it's something else. If it was constant then I'd look into the tranny.

ecoughlin 03-20-2011 11:00 AM

Manu, I have had the car back a week since the "flushing" of the tranny. I am not sure what their def of flushing is, but they did use the right fluid. So, one week now and no symptoms. Your thoughts? Ecoughlin....2002 S60 AWD 2.4T AW 55-50

C.P. 03-20-2011 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reminder on the B4 servo cover. I would have figured that a fresh rebuild job would include such parts - I'll have to check the paperwork and see. This either a 3-4th gear or 4-5th gear thing since when i put the transmission in maual shift mode it seems to be fine.

MYS6T 03-20-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by C.P. (Post 262240)
My 2001 S60 transmission went bad. Took it to AAMCO, where I was told it would be 2500-3500 depending on what they saw when they tore it apart. Well, 4500.00 later I get the car back and the transmission still isnt right. Have had it back several times. What is happening is that about 32-40 MPH it shifts back and forth between gears. AAMCO has told me that it isnt anything that they have repaired and that it is something in the car other than the transmission. I believe that they dont know what it is and are done dealing with me. Not sure what to do now, but my advice is to avoid AAMCO.

This is one of the problems with not using a Volvo indy shop. I would guess that the trany needs a software update and this can only be done at a dealer or Good Volvo indy shop. Its worth the $80 at the dealer if the car need the update.Also if you read on some of the other Volvo sites AAMCO as a company have issues with Volvo rebuilds.Check with the dealer about update. GL

C.P. 03-21-2011 08:34 AM

Thanks MYS6T, wish I knew that before....oh well, what do you do?

Nataku -
That is exatly what my transmission started doing. It is actually my girlfriends car and she didnt tell me about it for "a while". I did the flush and replaced the B4 servo, worked fine for almost a year then went downhill quickly. If you caught it early enough you may have saved it.

Transmission_Guy 03-21-2011 08:57 AM

I would ask the AAMCO if they installed a rebuilt valve body. That's the most common wear item on these units, and they all need one. They symptoms of a bad valve body are, downshift clunks, harsh upshifts, and engine flair during the 2-3 shift. These symptoms seem to get worse when the engine/trans is warmed up. For $4,500, they better have installed one. The flashing is a good idea too.

ecoughlin 03-21-2011 05:38 PM

More symptoms (tranny)

Well I have had the car back from the dealer for a week. Aside from 2 times where the Reverse to Drive engagement was delayed and harsh on engagement, no symptoms for one week. I did note yesterday that the tranny is overfilled (dealer did this) with fluid. And yesterday the car again had a delay shifting from Reverse to Drive. Later, there were two "flares" shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Today, one delay shifting from Reverse to Drive after idling for a couple of minutes:confused:. Anyway the car is going to an indy shop tmw with the blessing of the dealer. It is going to European Motors, West Hartford CT. Any help is appreciated. This car is for my son coming back from Japan (Marine) in June. We paid good money for it, and I want it to be reliable. 2002 S60 AWD 2.4T AW 55-50. Geartronic.

raimundo 03-24-2011 06:59 PM

Have someone check your motor mounts. My shop told me a few months back I had a broken one, but I put off fixing it. Meanwhile, I was having shifting issues, particularly from first to second (automatic tranny). The car would rev and then jerk into gear. I finally made the connection between the two, just got the motor mount replaced today, and the shifting problem is gone. I've never been so happy to have spent $150 on a repair, given what I thought I was facing with the tranny.

__________________________________________________ __

Update: the motor mount helped a little, but the transmission is still going. The software update seemed to help some, but the bottom line is that the valve body cover needs replacing. That's $2400, and the car has 105k miles on it, so the timing belt major service interval is here. I think it's time to sell or donate. Sorry to say the new car won't be a Volvo.

raimundo 03-24-2011 07:01 PM

My car info, fyi

2002 s60 t5.

Nataku 03-26-2011 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by raimundo (Post 263135)
Have someone check your motor mounts. My shop told me a few months back I had a broken one, but I put off fixing it. Meanwhile, I was having shifting issues, particularly from first to second (automatic tranny). The car would rev and then jerk into gear. I finally made the connection between the two, just got the motor mount replaced today, and the shifting problem is gone. I've never been so happy to have spent $150 on a repair, given what I thought I was facing with the tranny.

I think this may be what is going on with mine as I've done everything else. Which motor mounts were done, if you know? The upper engine stabilizer mount?