Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

03' S60 engine rattling; PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03' S60 engine rattling; PLEASE HELP!

My s60 just had the check engine light come on, it seems to rev a little higher right when u start it up for a few seconds, then drops down. And u can also hear a rattling sound coming from what sounds like the passenger side engine area. The sound is more noticeable when it seem to be cold. As soon as you take your foot off the gas or the rpms go down to idle, the noise immediately goes away. apply gas to increase rpms and there it is again. This happens both when in park and in drive, standing still or moving. One more thing, and I'm not POSITIVE about this, I thought I saw a puff of smoke come from under the hood once when I started it up. But it could've just been exhaust blowing around. It was very cold and windy.
Any ideas???
Also learned today that the check engine light code is P0420 which seems to be emissions / catalytic converter related. would the sound under the hood and this be related? it obviously is but how???

Last edited by NoLeafClover76; 02-27-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Noleaf please try and be a little more clear when asking for help, it seems you put in enough info to start but you garbled up several issues in one paragraph. I'll do my best with what I can read from this.

When its cold out and you start your car the revs will be a little high but don't worry thats just normal cold start up.

The noise or rattle you are describing could be many things, but you have the upper hand here, you can crawl under the car while its running and or lift the hood to pin point the noise. we can't so its really up to you to be more detailed about the sound/noise your hearing so that someone can assist.

P0420 is a cat code , one of my Volvos get that same code when its really cold out, I will see it pop up two or three times during the harsh part of winter, but have never seen it pop during the summer I am also noticing a few other volvo owners getting this code recently and I am thinking that the cold weather has something to do with this issue. However I have no rattling noises on mine so I am thinking that the noise and the code are unrelated with your issues.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by John Arsenault
Hey Noleaf please try and be a little more clear when asking for help, it seems you put in enough info to start but you garbled up several issues in one paragraph. I'll do my best with what I can read from this.

When its cold out and you start your car the revs will be a little high but don't worry thats just normal cold start up.

The noise or rattle you are describing could be many things, but you have the upper hand here, you can crawl under the car while its running and or lift the hood to pin point the noise. we can't so its really up to you to be more detailed about the sound/noise your hearing so that someone can assist.

P0420 is a cat code , one of my Volvos get that same code when its really cold out, I will see it pop up two or three times during the harsh part of winter, but have never seen it pop during the summer I am also noticing a few other volvo owners getting this code recently and I am thinking that the cold weather has something to do with this issue. However I have no rattling noises on mine so I am thinking that the noise and the code are unrelated with your issues.

Thanks for nothing. Next time don't bother and keep your rude comments to yourself.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLeafClover76
Thanks for nothing. Next time don't bother and keep your rude comments to yourself.
Good luck getting help with that attitude. If you don't want to help people narrow it down, people aren't going to want to help you figure it out.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't trying to be mean, just wanted to give you some friendly advise. There are many people on here a lot smarter then me and much more able to help you but if you would like a response from them you should try manage your problems and questions a little better. I did however take a little bit of my time to pick apart at your post so that maybe if someone else reads it they could understand what you were talking about, and maybe get this help thread started, but you killed it.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM

go away... and lay off the anti depressants...

Old 03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow dude! A nice explanation on why more info was asked for and you flame out again. Might want to consider a Carnegie course.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:31 PM

People like you are why some other more intelligent people don't bother even trying to help... :-(

The only person with an attitude is you, I was going to suggest a possible reason for your "issue" because I had similar, but I am not going to waste my time.........good luck getting things sorted out..........

Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, you clearly don't want help.

Just keep driving it. It will probably fix itself. Or go pay a shop to diagnose it.

Last edited by ES6T; 03-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 AM

Who wants to help someone who is a new member has only a few posts. Then wants to complain about someone giving them free advice. I agree go talk to a shop and be prepared to hold onto your wallet.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM

Done. Taken care of. Thanks for nothing people. This site really is worthless. Is this site for wannabe mechanics? Anyways., fixed... for 150.00...

Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Done. Taken care of. Thanks for nothing people. This site really is worthless. Is this site for wannabe mechanics? Anyways., fixed... for 150.00...
You typically get what you put into sites like these, so that pretty much sums up your contribution as well. A member asked nicely for more details and you flamed him. Thanks for nothing to you too. Karma is a b!tch isn't it?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, a site of wannabe mechanics you begged for help, then flipped out on. And, to further contribute absolutely nothing, you didn't post what the fix was. So go to hell.