Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

05 S60 2.5T AWD, shifting hard around corners

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S60 2.5T AWD, shifting hard around corners

I have a weird (at least what I think is) question. I have an 05 S60 2.5T AWD with 85K miles on it. I flushed the transmission with IPDs kit at 74K and used Mobil 3309 ATF. Really ever since that happened, when I go around a corner really fast or go into a corner really hard and roll the apex and then ease back into the gas, the car jerks or slaps back into gear. It almost feels like the transmission has to catch up. I assume this is a transmission problem, not sure if its the AWD switching on/off. Really have no idea.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Default 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T hard shifting around corners

This is not a weird question at all. I recently purchased my 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD and I am experiencing the same issue. If I am cornering or making a turn, I will start to accelerate and the car seems as if it has become confused about what gear it would like to select and will harshly engage in to the correct gear with a huge jerk. It also feels like the electronic throttle module and transmission are not in sync or correctly calibrated. In these cars, the AWD engagement should be seamless, so I don't think that would be the issue.

In my case, I am thinking that there may be a few possible solutions, but one seems to reside with me the most:
1. I purchased the car with 77K miles back in November. I have read that the transmission is adaptive and learns driving characteristics. With this being the case, it may be necessary for me to visit the dealer for a transmission software update and reset so that it may readapt to my driving habits.

In terms of general shifting characteristics, it seems as if the vehicle does fine, though there does seem to be a slight serge between gears two and three (the transmission will start to shift and will move to slightly higher RPM's before shifting). This serge seems to adapt based on the throttle position. If I am under hard acceleration, the serge is very short and the shift is quick. If under light acceleration, the serge may be a few second long.

After noticing the cornering issue and the slight serge, I was somewhat concerned at first. However, I don't think it is a major transmission issue. I think that the transmission module software may be a little off.

This is my second Volvo. My first was a 1998 Volvo S70. While I love my S60, I have to admit that S70 is still a favorite of mine and it is free of the small technological glitches of the newer Volvos, even after 130K+ miles.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 PM

for what its worth i was having the Exact issue with my 06 2.5t awd. Hard into an offramp, back on the throttle, and nothing...til, BAM! back into gear.
I brought it to MB automotive in Bayshore LI NY and Mike looked at my trannny fluid level....BONE DRY. He added 2qts and sent me on my way....

took the next offramp i could find, braked hard, back on the gas and nothing but sweetness! the motor was in a good rpm range and i accelerated out like never before.

Now im so excited that my volvo's tranny is (fingers crossed) ok, im gona send it back to Mike and have him drop it on eibachs w 17" pegasus and see what this baby can really do...

Hope this helped.