Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   2002 Volvo S60 AWD camber? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/2002-volvo-s60-awd-camber-57503/)

psychlone99 09-15-2011 08:09 PM

2002 Volvo S60 AWD camber?

Should I be able to visibly notice the camber on the rear wheels of my S60? They look like this: / -- \ I recently bought it knowing I would need to replace the tires. They're all worn, but there is severe inside wear on the right rear tire. The previous owner had an alignment done recently and simply suggested that the tires need to be rotated on-schedule, but something seems "off" to me.

I've read about people having trouble with the camber causing excess wear on the rear tires, even after alignments. I plan to have an alignment done when I get new tires mounted, but wanted to check in here first. Should I be looking for something else? I haven't noticed (heard or felt) anything that suggests there is a problem on the right rear.

There is a slight vibration from the right front, but I think it's just a tire out of balance. Any thoughts?

psychlone99 09-15-2011 11:20 PM

38 views and no responses. I'm starting to worry! :confused:

iGrunt 09-16-2011 08:46 AM

hey sorry to hear about your camber issue. i own a 2005 volvo S60R and i just put eibach springs all around. im also an alignment technician at a shop here at home so i can tell you ahead of time your going to have to buy an aftermarket part for adjusting your camber.

there is no camber adjustment for volvo s60s rear or front, toe is the only adjustable angle on those vehicles. what i recomend doing is buying IPD's camber bushings for the rear and having them proffesionally installed. I looked for these bushing myself because i knew once i lowered my vehicle that my camber would be negative(more then normal) so i purchased these and they took a couple hours to install.

www.ipdusa.com

check out this website they sell the best volvo products i have found anywhere. also you can check out

www.tirerack.com

tirerack has a camber kit for your front suspension wich you may also need. the front camber sleeves run about 25USD and the rear bushings(these arent adjustable, so set it right the first time) run about 189USD.

i hope i have been a help to you, Good luck to you!

psychlone99 09-18-2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by iGrunt (Post 288849)
tirerack has a camber kit for your front suspension wich you may also need. the front camber sleeves run about 25USD and the rear bushings(these arent adjustable, so set it right the first time) run about 189USD.

Is it more common to have a rear camber issue than in the front? I haven't noticed any obvious tire wear issues on the inside of the front tires like I have in the back.

J. A. Higgins 09-20-2011 06:58 PM

The tires on my '02 AWD look straight all the way around. Are you carrying excess weight in the rear?

psychlone99 09-21-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by J. A. Higgins (Post 289327)
The tires on my '02 AWD look straight all the way around. Are you carrying excess weight in the rear?

After having my mechanic look at it, it turns out my camber is within spec. The camber on the left is 0 degrees and only 1 degree on the right. The "appear" to have a camber, especially on the right, but it must be an optical illusion.

I do apparently have a toe-in issue on the rears, which I need to correct.