Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2012 S60 T5 - Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S60 T5 - Some questions

Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 S60 T5 that I bought a few years ago as a CPO with 35,000ish miles. I'm right around 98,000 at this point and I've got some issues with the car that I'd like to address.

First is a fuel tank issue. The pump doesn't automatically stop allowing me to over fuel the car and end up with a puddle of gas underneath it. Additionally If the tank is filled past a half tank then all I can smell is gas in the car. Googling tells me that these symptoms are typical of a failed fuel pump gasket. This has also caused a CEL that says to replace the gas cap. Is this an issue that would be covered by the CPO warranty or possible a recall? If not is the fuel pump as accessible as it is on other cars (remove the back seat and take out a few bolts)?

Second is excessive oil burning (1.5ish QTs per oil change). My car's chassis number does fall within the range for that service bulletin. Is this something the dealer will just address if I bring it up or am I going to have to fight with them/jump through hoops?

Third is peeling plastic on my front logo and on my steering wheel which cuts my hand if I slide it across it just right. Will they address the wheel? I know the front logo has a lifetime warranty.

Fourth is suspension. Last time I had my car in a shop they told me that my suspension needed work and was causing waves in my tires. My tires are now close to bald so it's time to get new ones but I don't want to ruin new tires with bad suspension or get hosed replacing suspension parts that aren't necessary. I'm pretty comfortable potentially doing the work, but I'm lost at the sheer number of parts that could be causing the issues and I don't want to replace things that don't need to be or not replace things that should be.

I know suspension issues can be tough to diagnose over the internet but I'm hoping you all could at least point me in the right direction. Here is a recording I made that has the sounds I hear when driving over uneven surfaces/pot holes: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmYEqRG-tr3SlMY7z6NZtuu3NeBs9w . The sounds start around second 5-8 and continue to the end, it's the rattling/clunking sound. Additionally would anything suspension related potentially be covered by the CPO warranty?

Fifth is coolant. I've had to top off my coolant reservoir three times since I've owned the car. I don't see any milkiness in the oil or coolant to suggest a leaking head gasket but I've also never had to add coolant to any of my previous vehicles. Is this typical of these cars?

Final question, is there a way to make sure my CPO warranty is still active and good?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. It seems you are experiencing more problems with your vehicle then the average Volvo owner but it happens. My wife drives a low mileage 2011 S60 T6 (high tech package) that we bought from our daughter when she needed to move up to a larger vehicle because she and her husband have new twins in the family. Fortunately it has been relatively problem free except for a few things that needed fixing such as keyless entry stopped working, top strut bearings needed replacing along with the blower fan. You seem to have a list of car ills that could cost you plenty of money to sort out. My comments here are just opinionated observations. If you bought your vehicle as a CPO then you should be covered for just about everything for 7yr or 100k miles. I would certainly approach your dealer expecting them to cover most of your problems. I say most, because I do not think they would give you a new engine simply because you are using 1.5 qts per oil change. If you change your oil at 7k mile intervals I believe that usage would fall well within what is considered normal even though you may not like that, may be a pain to check your oil more often or even if it does not happen with all T5's. For some of your other problems, if not all, I think you might be within your rights to expect repairs under the extended warranty guidelines which is what a CPO vehicle really is. Remember, you've already paid a premium just to purchase a CPO vehicle. They may not all be serious problems. For example, your disappearing coolant could be as simple as a bad radiator cap. If your fuel pump needs replacement I believe they will need to drop your gas tank for that type of service. Since you are already at 98,000 if it were me, I would not waste more time but would get all of these issues documented at your dealership and go from there. Hopefully they will work with you. I would not go in there all excited and making demands but rather first read what your CPO coverage says and then be firm but not offensive. Good luck.