Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Odd wear pattern on freshly resurfaced rotors - new pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd wear pattern on freshly resurfaced rotors - new pads

Hi folks, I've never seen anything like this before but both of my front rotors look this way after I had them turned and put new pads in.

Anyone got any ideas of what could be causing this?

Forgot to take a picture of them, so I am including a diagram:

Attached Thumbnails Odd wear pattern on freshly resurfaced rotors - new pads-rotor.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Here's an actual photo of the rotors - they are getting a little better as in the pads seem to be making a little more contact with the rotor since I first looked at them. Maybe they will keep getting better and better to where they are contacting the entire rotor, not sure - just have never seen this pattern before.

Attached Thumbnails Odd wear pattern on freshly resurfaced rotors - new pads-rotor.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Another side note is that the brake pedal was spongy since I got the car about a month ago and the brakes were pulsating badly. I had the front rotors turned and put new ceramic pads on the front hoping all would be fixed. The braking is much smoother now but the pedal still feels soft instead of firm like I would like it. I did bleed the calipers and drew out a quite a bit of nasty dark fluid, but no bubbles came out (see the difference in color between new fluid and small sample of the old). I am thinking I must have some air stuck in the ABS unit. I will try pressure bleeding using compressed air to push fluid down and hope that I can push out any bubbles from the ABS out thru the calipers.

Attached Thumbnails Odd wear pattern on freshly resurfaced rotors - new pads-fluid.jpg  
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Did you bleed all 4 brakes? Normally you would do it Right rear, Left rear, Right front, Left Front. (for a left drive car).

Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM

I did, but the picture of the bottle with used fluid in it only contains a small sample of what was drawn out. I think I'm going to flush the system again using pressure bleeder approach - just waiting for the spare cap to show up so I can put a pressure fitting on it. Planning on doing driver front, passenger front, driver rear, passenger rear as the order (closest to furthest)