Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Timing marks don't line up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing marks don't line up...

....with the cover.

The vehicle in question is my '09 S60 2.5T. It's well due for a timing belt change and after uncovering the cam gears and trying to line the marks up, they never do. If I line up the exhaust gear/cover marks, the intake mark is at about the 5 o'clock position. If i line the intake/cover marks, the exhaust mark is at about the 7 o'clock position. And forget about seeing the mark on the crank. I swear I've looked in between every tooth on it and I've yet to see a mark of any sort.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Any pics? There's no way the car would run with timing that far out.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Well, I think I was looking at the wrong marks. Sorry for the confusion. I found the correct marks and I got them lined up.

But I am ashamed to say that I think the crank moved on me while attempting to remove the crank pulley. So that brings me back to these darn marks. Where exactly is the mark on the crank gear located. I don't see it. I DO see a single rib on the back side of the crank pulley hub. Could this be the mark I'm looking for?

Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope this helps. 2005 S60 2.5T

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-09-2016, 09:50 AM

Thanks carman, that is exactly what i was talking about. I found that pic on the web and went with it. Car has been up and running since Saturday evening.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xc90 2.5t cam timing marks

Originally Posted by ssicarman
Hope this helps. 2005 S60 2.5T

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for the picture, I was just going through same issue, I didn't pull off pulley, so I didn't see mark until I used a mirror to see behind pulley and found this small raised line. OK, on this picture, it is pointing to the first tab on left of that U mark, so this is how it should line up, correct? I assume so, but don't want to be off on this critical part.

Here is question. My water pump froze and belt came off. I know, it probably bent a valve, but I did not try to start for a second hearing that dead sound, so is it possible the position of cams might have escaped damage? I did slowly turn crank to align this timing mark and there was no resistance point. I know the odds are not good, ordered inspection camera to look down spark plug holes to see if there is any mark before continuing.

Another question, the cam pulley VVT exhaust unit has play in and out, and as far as I know, there should be no play on either exhaust or intake, is this correct. I know they will rotate an inch or so, I am talking about in and out play. Also, now that I have crank on mark, is it safe to rotate cam pulleys to align marks? I assume the crank is in safe position not to hit valves if cams rotate, is this correct?

Thanks, praying for a little help from above. lol

Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 AM

You have to remove the crank pulley to see the timing marks.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, ordered a junk yard head and as luck would have it, came with hairline cracked sprocket on exhaust pulley and I bought this because it was complete with pulleys, cam and valves. That was not the worse as I could use the original sprocket on my engine which is not cracked, just the loose CVVT pulley. When I went to clean head, noticed a broken valve, had chip out of it, so I assume this came off engine with same issue of broken timing belt or in my case, frozen water pump caused belt to jump off pulleys.

Long story short, since this replacement head is probably as bad as mine, I decided to reinstall new belt, water pump and tensioners and line up timing marks, and see if it starts. Well, it didn't, which is strange for even if one valve is chipped or bent, wouldn't engine still start? I will check compression next, but needed to buy gauge since I couldn't find the one I had from decades ago. lol Getting to old for this kind of job, but did find my valve lap tool. Figured since I have to pull head, might as well do valve lap and valve seals. So the question is, should engine run on four cylinders and miss and pop as I had experienced years ago when valve is bent. Another question, just to test engine I didn't put serpentine belt on, would this prevent it from running for a couple second test.

Thanks,