Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Air-Conditioning Problem 2002 S60 Model (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/air-conditioning-problem-2002-s60-model-13652/)

roybis 09-07-2007 05:39 PM

Air-Conditioning Problem 2002 S60 Model

When I turn onthe AC for my 2002 Volvo S60, I getcool air on theleft side butwarm air on theright side.
What could be the problem?

Thanks

tech 09-07-2007 05:50 PM

RE: Air-Conditioning Problem 2002 S60 Model

Try turning both temp controls to hot then back to cold and see if that fixes the problem.

If not then you could be low on freon.

roybis 09-08-2007 10:14 PM

Tech,
Your advice did wonders, the AC is now working fine on both sides.
Do you know why it happened? Is it because the AC is low on freon?

Thanks

tech 09-09-2007 09:07 AM

Sometimes the computer basically just has a brain fart and forgets where the motor is.
Thats why just turning it to hot then cold fixes it.

If you are low on freon it will also do that. But turning it won't fix it.

JC-S60 05-23-2010 12:12 PM

2003 Volvo S60 AC stops working after driving for 2-3 hours

Hi,

I have 2003 Volvo S60 2.4T and the air conditioning blows very low cold air after driving for 2-3 hours even when the inside is still very hot, the temperature control is reset the lowest (such as 62) on both sides and fan speed is reset to the highest (heard the danat high speed but little more air come out the vents).

After I stopped driving (e.g., parked the car in garage or a parking lot) for a few hours or overnight and when I re-started the engine, the AC seemed back to normal with good cold air blowing in even the inside temperature is not high; but again, this "normal" air flow can last only few hours as always.

As per the service record (I requested a copy from a local dealer where I purchased this pre-own/certified car in Rockville, Maryland), the previous owner had the same problem several times, but the tech in this Volvo dealer could not duplicate the problem. When I consulted this dealer about this problem several times, they had no any idea instead suggested re-charging the AC (I do not think its refrigerant is low).

Is it possible temperature (or other) sensors are dysfunctional and can’t control air-flow rate and direction?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

SVTfocusO3 05-23-2010 04:35 PM

Yes, there are a bunch of sensors for this. damper motors and such.

Only Volvo can monitor each of these sensors and check for codes which I am sure they did, but you never know.

JC-S60 05-25-2010 06:13 PM

Thanks

Thanks for advice. Is there anything I should try by myself? Is there a sensory to control vent open/close? What does the damper motor (you mentioned in your message) do?

SVTfocusO3 05-26-2010 08:35 AM

Damper motors control all the vents, temperature, recirculate, etc.

Its all electronic, not vacuum actuated. Volvo has to calibrate these, but this seldom is the problem.

jdr93 06-10-2013 10:22 AM

thank you, tech

Originally Posted by tech (Post 68599)
Try turning both temp controls to hot then back to cold and see if that fixes the problem.

i have an s60r from 2005 (fantastic car) which suddenly had a similar problem to the above. the passenger side got cool, but not cold air, and the driver side got full on hot, not warm, air.
my repair gentleman suggested vacuuming the cabin air sensor grill on the dashboard, and this did improve the passenger side air conditioning so cold air came out of the vents, but hot air still came out on the driver side.
using your suggestion to turn the temperature select knobs to full hot then back to full cold on both sides fixed the hot air on the driver side; now both sides put out cold when cold is called for. (and hot when hot is called for). i left the knobs at full heat 'till both sides sent heat then turned them both back to full cold.

thank you

john

rodsteel 08-11-2015 05:15 PM

A/C computer-switch brain fart...

Everything has been working fine, and then a week or so ago, I was having the EXACT same problem: "Driver's side cold... Passenger side actually HOT. When A/C is on."

So, I cranked the fan FULL and put BOTH on HOT (to the right on the red) and sat for :30sec. Then I rotated both back to COLD (blu) and the air was coming out COLD AGAIN!

Thanks guys!
/rodSteel

Percy Verdeflor 09-16-2015 10:00 PM

When the outside temp is above 85 degrees, the AC on my 2003 S60 quit blowing cold air just after 4/5 minutes.

Rob Mack 10-31-2017 05:53 PM

This work

Originally Posted by JC-S60 (Post 218892)
Thanks for advice. Is there anything I should try by myself? Is there a sensory to control vent open/close? What does the damper motor (you mentioned in your message) do?

I was having the same issue. What I found works (no idea WHY this works) is to set both sides to 72 degrees with the ac on. Switch the AC off. Turn fan speed all the way up then all the way down. Leave the fan speed at lowest/off. Press AC on, turn temp controls to coldest setting, open throttle up briefly, turn fan speed up. Enjoy 2 to 3 hours of cold air, repeat.

This works for me every time. Its become a bit of a ritual amongst my friends who call it "car voodoo".

wrusry 07-22-2020 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 68599)

Thank you so much. Adding a can of freon fixed my issue. I honestly didn't think that was the cause since the passenger side was "cold" and the driver's side not. But sure enough, now they are both cold and both colder than what the "cold" side was.