Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Arrrrgh!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Arrrrgh!!

Okay, I really need some help here.
Have a 02 S60 with 112k miles. Car starts and runs for about 10 minutes and shutsoff. Won't restart, just cranks, let sit for a minute or two and it will restart and run for about 10 minutes and then shutsoff, and so on.
No check engine light and no messages!
I don't have a code reader or scan tool.
Did full test on battery and alternator and charge system and it is okay.
Checked fuel pressure and have about 55psi when running and holds 55psi even after it stalls, so it can't be fuel pump.
Any help would be great!!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

HMM this one is fishy. There might still be a code stored but not showing a check engine light.
But alot of times the average scanner will not read all of the codes either.

When it does not start have you checked for spark?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Default update

As I stated in earlier posts this is what happens: Car starts and runs fine for exactly 8 minutes then engine shuts off. Turn key off and try to restart, only cranks no start. Wait 1-2 minutes and Car will restart and run fine for 8 minutes and engine shuts off, and so on. I have load tested the battery and alternator and they are fine. Tested the fuel pressure and it is 55 psi and holds there, even when engine shuts off. Removed engine cover, ran engine and when engine shut off pulled coil and plug, cranked engine and had NO spark. In the time it took to install plug and coil the engine restarted and ran fine. There are no codes present. The engine runs fine, no skips, no stumbling and plenty of power. When engine shuts off, it just shuts off, no stumbling or any sign of loss of fuel.
Possible cam or crank sensor? Where are they located? Any way of testing with out fancy equipment?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

That would be my next guess cam or crank sensor. Not sure how to test with average tools though. But one sign to lead to it being one of those is that the tach drops to 0 before the car comes to a rest. If the sensors are still working and the tranny/motor still turning over it should still read RPM'S.

I always use our scanner to see the signal.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Smile Update

I just thought I would update everyone on my dilemma. Finally brought the car to an independant volvo shop and they originally thought it was the ABS module. After further diagnosis they found a bad relay for the engine ECU. They put in a new relay and the car has been great. Hope this helps someone in the future. thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Wow, easy fix!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update.