Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Battery charge low message, but not low

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery charge low message, but not low

my V60, 2015, is not telling the truth. I’ve been getting this message randomly for over a year, but when I have a tech check the battery, it’s fine. Also, Maintenance overdue. The tech tried resetting after the routine maintenance was done, but it wouldn’t turn off. Sometimes the button on the visor that’s programmed to open the neighborhood gate won’t work. The names in my phone contact list don’t work - it always tells me “unknown caller” so I don’t answer, when it was actually my daughter.
So has my car’s brain gone bad?

The following users liked this post:
Mikemnr (12-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

No.

If the battery has ever been replaced, the battery monitoring sensor probabl wasn't reset at the same time. If it has never been replaced, it is likely nearing the end of its life.

The maintenance light needs to be reset. Your mechanic isn't doing it right.

I don't see how Homelink can sometimes work and sometimes not. But that isn't tied to anything in the car except power and ground.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paires50
my V60, 2015, is not telling the truth. I’ve been getting this message randomly for over a year, but when I have a tech check the battery, it’s fine. Also, Maintenance overdue. The tech tried resetting after the routine maintenance was done, but it wouldn’t turn off. Sometimes the button on the visor that’s programmed to open the neighborhood gate won’t work. The names in my phone contact list don’t work - it always tells me “unknown caller” so I don’t answer, when it was actually my daughter.
So has my car’s brain gone bad?
I know the tech says the battery is fine, but the car acts like the battery is bad. I would replace the battery.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The battery in my 2015 V60 was reported failing by the dealer two years ago when, as part of a routine service, I asked about the unavailability of the Stop/Start function. It was replaced under warranty Recently, again while the car was in for service, an occasional "Low Battery Charge" warning was on the list. I was told that the charge was, indeed, low and the battery would be put on a charger while the car was in the shop. At the end of the day, I was told that the battery would not take a charge and needed to be replaced.

1. Two years and 8000 miles is a very short life for a battery. Volvo batteries are "custom made" by Interstate. (Things may have changed but, in my experience, Interstate is a second line supplier to the gas station replacement market.)
2. The replacement (Interstate) battery would cost $300 and resetting the indicator, which must, at the dealership, be done with VIDAS, adds $200! I declined the service
3. Local Battery + Bulbs will supply a top line AGM battery for about $225 and install it free. The Internet offers several 2-3 minute hacks to reset the indicator.

Car is still starting fine - warning only occurs occasionally. I'll get to the battery some time. I am convinced that the charging system on Volvos is sub-par - reducing alternator output will improve fuel mileage and the on-going VIDAS scam is quickly eroding the possibility that I will ever buy another Volvo.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Hamm (08-01-2021)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pretorien
The battery in my 2015 V60 was reported failing by the dealer two years ago when, as part of a routine service, I asked about the unavailability of the Stop/Start function. It was replaced under warranty Recently, again while the car was in for service, an occasional "Low Battery Charge" warning was on the list. I was told that the charge was, indeed, low and the battery would be put on a charger while the car was in the shop. At the end of the day, I was told that the battery would not take a charge and needed to be replaced.

1. Two years and 8000 miles is a very short life for a battery. Volvo batteries are "custom made" by Interstate. (Things may have changed but, in my experience, Interstate is a second line supplier to the gas station replacement market.)
2. The replacement (Interstate) battery would cost $300 and resetting the indicator, which must, at the dealership, be done with VIDAS, adds $200! I declined the service
3. Local Battery + Bulbs will supply a top line AGM battery for about $225 and install it free. The Internet offers several 2-3 minute hacks to reset the indicator.

Car is still starting fine - warning only occurs occasionally. I'll get to the battery some time. I am convinced that the charging system on Volvos is sub-par - reducing alternator output will improve fuel mileage and the on-going VIDAS scam is quickly eroding the possibility that I will ever buy another Volvo.
You can get a VIDAS system for just over $200, which is way cheaper than a decent scan tool. As a volvo fan, I have done this and it's way better than any generic scanner you will use on your car. It can also be used as a generic OBD2 on any other car. (Not Vida, but the system I bought)

There's also 2 batteries in your car if you have a start/stop function. One under the hood that acts as an auxiliary battery during the stop mode and then the main battery in the trunk.

Either way, I think OP needs a new battery, and should test it themselves to see what it reads. Check amperage while its running to make sure its charging correctly and then read the battery voltage after the cars been off for a bit to make sure it holds the charge.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. After reading other messages about the low battery message, I believe it’s due to my satellite radio, which I no longer have a subscription to. As for the battery, it’s probably time to replace it anyway. When you live in Arizona, batteries don’t last more than 2 or 3 years. If the message appears after replacing the battery, I’ll drive it to the dealer and have the software update as per the 2018 Technical Service Bulletin.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingus
You can get a VIDAS system for just over $200, which is way cheaper than a decent scan tool. As a volvo fan, I have done this and it's way better than any generic scanner you will use on your car. It can also be used as a generic OBD2 on any other car. (Not Vida, but the system I bought)

There's also 2 batteries in your car if you have a start/stop function. One under the hood that acts as an auxiliary battery during the stop mode and then the main battery in the trunk.

Either way, I think OP needs a new battery, and should test it themselves to see what it reads. Check amperage while its running to make sure its charging correctly and then read the battery voltage after the cars been off for a bit to make sure it holds the charge.
Where does one find this?

Yes - 2 batteries - both under hood I know the aux is toast but I never use the S/S function - wish there were an option to permanently disable it

My first car, a 1941 Plymouth, had an ammeter - could tell at a glance if things were working properly - warning lights and cryptic messages infuriate me (and don't get me started on "no dipstick ")

Old 12-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pretorien
Where does one find this?

Yes - 2 batteries - both under hood I know the aux is toast but I never use the S/S function - wish there were an option to permanently disable it

My first car, a 1941 Plymouth, had an ammeter - could tell at a glance if things were working properly - warning lights and cryptic messages infuriate me (and don't get me started on "no dipstick ")
This is where I was pointed to by my volvo guy. https://www.facebook.com/DaveLeachVIDALaptops/ He gives you very good instructions to set it up and helps you with the setup if needed to make sure everything is running good. I got my DiCe unit through him as well. The DiCe unit is completely legit and not a chinese knockoff plus he sets it up for your use prior to sending so there wont be any issues. My DiCe unit + external SSD was $220. I had a spare laptop lying around collecting dust so was able to use that. He does sell VIDA laptops as well, not sure on cost there. Do note that to run VIDA, you need an internet connection. I usually just use my phone as a hotspot if I cant connect to my home wifi. The setup also comes with the hanes program so you have access to all of their repair manuals. It has a TON of cool stuff.

I also hate s/s, and you can do a lot of functionality changes with VIDA2014D (free) but the technical stuff requires dealer software, which is a subscription.

Last edited by Dingus; 12-08-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added info