Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Burning Oil (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/burning-oil-81241/)

Matt Romero 11-23-2014 12:08 PM

Burning Oil

2012 S60 T5 is burning about 1 quart every 3,000 miles. Car has 71,000 miles and it started burning oil at about 62,000 miles. Do I have a problem?

damien360 11-23-2014 02:00 PM

You need to do a cylinder leak down test to figure out where it going.

Kiss4aFrog 11-23-2014 11:03 PM

YES, yes you do. There isn't any normal reason a car with 70K should be going through that much oil.

If you're sure it's not dripping out of it then something is wrong inside the engine. Maybe bad valve seals ??

AlbertF 12-13-2014 11:21 AM

Having owned 2 of the 5 cylinder Volvos, I would say that 1 quart every 3,000 miles is normal! My old four-cylinder 740 used a half-quart in 5,000 miles (even with 300,000 miles on the engine), but the fives always seem to use a bit.

Our V70 3.2 seems to use a quart in 5,000 miles; it gets changed at 7,500.

All engines will use some amount of oil - the oil rings won't scrape the cylinders down with 100% efficacy. By all means have it investigated, but if nothing comes up, I wouldn't worry about it.

djtomr941 01-07-2016 07:34 PM

My Volvo (also 2012 S60 T5) is burning oil at 70k. In fact at 68k I had $1200 worth of work done. At 74 k the engine is now completely shot. All maint performed but Volvo refuses to stand by their product. The engine in question is B6304T4. New Engines are back-ordered into Feb and March due to this issue. Others are now seeing the problem too. They are getting new engines. I have escalated to Volvo. Replacing the rings won't fix it since the 2012 rings appear to be defective and damage the engine.

See here on Swedespeed forum. (Warning, long thread but worth reading if you have this car).

2012 T5 S60: Oil Guzzler and No Warning!

I agree with the other posters. This should NOT be happening but seems to be happening to everyone around the 65-70k threshold. I followed the maintenance to the letter and even used synthetic oil when they called for semi-synthetic. They apparently changed something in the rings in the 2013 version. Also, there was an oil pressure sensor recall or something like that. Updating the software, but even after the update people weren't seeing any warnings of oil issues. Just seeing that oil was burning when checking the oil level with the dipstick. They were coming up dry.

The dealer gave me a lifetime engine guarantee but isn't standing by that either saying I didn't do a yearly engine flush, even though that isn't in the Volvo maint guide. 80% of the service was done by the Volvo dealer and nothing except Volvo parts were used period. Full paperwork and receipts. I'm thinking the engines in all 2012 S60 T5's are pieces of junk and it's only a matter of time until they all eventually fail pre 80k-100k levels and most likely sooner. In the thread posted, some are seeing the issue as soon as 40k miles. That engine also seems to be in the XC60 and it's having the same issue. There could be a class action lawsuit over it according to this: http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/vo...ption-problem/

ES6T 01-07-2016 10:21 PM

Your car is out of warranty. Lemon laws won't apply.

After seeing all the wrong info in the first few posts of that link, I'm not going to waste my time going any further.

There is an issue with oil consumption on some of the 6 cylinders. Volvo has a specific protocol to follow for these.

djtomr941 01-07-2016 10:24 PM

Isn't a T5 a 5 cylinder? The first link is all T5's with oil burning issues and replacement's at 70k. BTW I have a lifetime engine guarantee from the dealer and even though won't follow it, even with the recommended volvo maintenance followed.

And even if I have to eat it, I will never buy another Volvo product. Too many people are having problems with the engines and the cars don't last that long even with the recommended maint. I put over 300k on a Nissan Maxima following all the recommeended maint. Same thing with Ford. Why pay 40k for a car that will only last a couple of years? not worth it if you ask me, especially now that I know it isn't an anomaly.

ES6T 01-07-2016 10:29 PM

Yes. The T5 is a 5 cylinder. But the B6304T4 is a 6 cylinder.

The 6 cylinders had the problems, not the 5 cylinders.

djtomr941 01-07-2016 10:31 PM

Then am I reading something wrong here?

2012 T5 S60: Oil Guzzler and No Warning!!

All those people appear to be T5's and are having oil burning problems. The first poster there has a piston ring job at 70k. Didn't work so if you look at the next to last post (10 pages later) she's getting a new engine out of it. Maybe I am missing something? I may have copy and pasted the wrong part #.

So the users bees and 740.S70 are both having engine replacements at the same mileage as my car.

ES6T 01-07-2016 10:57 PM

I have plenty of customers with well over 80k and no issues like that.

The 6 cylinder had oil consumption issues. I have seen many of them. Haven't seen any on the 5 cylinder. Doesn't mean it's not possible.

I've seen a friend's Maxima turn to rust in under 100k. Google "Nissan Maxims oil consumption" and you find people with problems burning oil. Must all be junk, too.

djtomr941 01-07-2016 11:12 PM

What year are these 80k T5's?

I think year matters. 96 Maxima went well over 300k and I got rid of it in 2010. I am a strong believer that if you do the required maintenance that an engine should last. If it's driven under normal conditions then there is no way an engine should go in 60, 70, or 80 thousand miles.

ES6T 01-08-2016 05:12 AM

I totally agree they should last. And they do. I just have an issue with when people get on the internet and lump all of them together because they have a problem. My point is if you search the internet for people who had a problem with a given car, you will find them. People with no problems don't actively post status updates reporting they have no issues. You make it sound like all T5s burn oil. Or all 2012 T5s. Just because a few people on Swedespeed had a problem doesn't mean they all have problems. Is it possible that some had issues? Sure. But if it was that bad, there would be bulletins for it like there are for the 6 cylinders. I'm surprised Volvo isn't helping with the repair but I'm also curious about their reason. I've seen many goodwill jobs out of warranty for things like this. But if they decline goodwill, there is usually a reason. The reason may be misunderstood or left out like often happens with posts like that.

djtomr941 01-08-2016 07:49 AM

I was told they declined Goodwill because the car is only worth $12 grand with a good engine. The new engine costs $8500 and the labor is another $2000 and the engine is very backordered right now. In the thread on swede that I posted, that woman has been waiting and will be waiting till around Feb 8 to get her engine. I imagine a courtesy car costs money too. Apparently Volvo said they would rather give me money towards a new Volvo and take that on trade in as opposed to fixing this. The problem is I almost had this car paid off and was about to give it to my daughter to drive. I don't want another 4 or 5 years of car payments. That's what was relayed back to me.

damien360 01-11-2016 12:08 AM

Actually I have re-ringed a couple of T5 engines because of oil consumption, not nearly as much as I have seen on Si6 engines. So to say that most T5s consume oil is just not true. Like I said I've done 2 piston ring jobs on T5s vs all of the other T5s that I have worked on through the many years I've been doing this. Don't rely on the internet to support your case because once again as stated before, people that do not have a problem will not complain.
I'm actually finishing replacing an engine on a 2010 XC60 with 80k under goodwill so I don't know where you are getting the information that engines are back ordered. Anytime an engine job like that comes through our shop it is almost a guarantee that it will be good willed unless some major job has already been performed under goodwill before

pjsmithres 01-11-2016 07:19 AM

I'm hoping this is not an oil burning rig.
My previous 2.3T 940 SE never burned oil for 240K miles. The non-turbo 16V engine of the same years, burned oil 15-2500 miles a quart.

This car (my '12 S60) is not driven as a "performance" car and is driven like "the little old lady from Pasadena". Some of you may not be old enough to understand...

I have seen many more modern cars with DOHC engines that have MORE oil consumption.
I don't think it's designed in, but an unintended consequence.

djtomr941 01-11-2016 09:31 AM

I opened up a direct case with VCNA to see what happens. The only reason I can think of the denial was the fact the car wasn't 100% serviced by the local Volvo dealer. My wife had a bad experience on the last service at 50k where she brought it in for one thing, they did another, then tried to guilt her into paying for the much more expensive service so we stopped taking it there. If not for that it might have been 100% serviced by Volvo except for maybe oil changes? I did spend over $2k for repairs on this car between 58-68k miles but that also included some maint as well (like tranny flush, inspection etc). Also, they were a far drive from the house so that is why we took it to our local mechanic who works on all of our other cars. We trust him. We did take it back at Volvo for an alignment (since only they seem to be able to do it) and the fact that we heard an engine ticking sound recently and to have them check into that also. I had no idea it was as bad as they claimed it to be. The dealer service manager seemed annoyed that I stopped bringing it there for service but said he would talk to Volvo. After getting him all service records outside of Volvo and him talking to my mechanic, he informed me the first business day back that Volvo said no to any Goodwill.

djtomr941 01-11-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by damien360 (Post 424963)
Actually I have re-ringed a couple of T5 engines because of oil consumption, not nearly as much as I have seen on Si6 engines. So to say that most T5s consume oil is just not true. Like I said I've done 2 piston ring jobs on T5s vs all of the other T5s that I have worked on through the many years I've been doing this. Don't rely on the internet to support your case because once again as stated before, people that do not have a problem will not complain.
I'm actually finishing replacing an engine on a 2010 XC60 with 80k under goodwill so I don't know where you are getting the information that engines are back ordered. Anytime an engine job like that comes through our shop it is almost a guarantee that it will be good willed unless some major job has already been performed under goodwill before

I am talking about the 2012 S60 T5. Most should have miles around 36-48k based on 12k per year. I am seeing people post that around 60-70k (those who drive 18-20k a year like my wife) they start to see some major oil burning with this car and those who have posted online are reporting that Volvo is replacing the engines on Goodwill Assistance. I have no way of validating if what those people say is actually true? Many do claim that Volvo made a change to the engine between the 2012 and 2013 cars which includes a change to the piston rings.

ES6T 01-12-2016 09:05 PM

I stand corrected. There is a bulletin for certain 2012's with a certain engine code. I've never run into it, but it could be regional.

djtomr941 01-12-2016 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 425052)
I stand corrected. There is a bulletin for certain 2012's with a certain engine code. I've never run into it, but it could be regional.

Could you give me some details behind this and how do I know if it is my engine that is affected? I'm in the eastern PA area and it was an early 2012. I'm also trying to get this from my mechanic who says he found the bulletin too.

ES6T 01-12-2016 09:42 PM

What's your VIN?