Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Deep humming noise - 2015 S60 T6 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/deep-humming-noise-2015-s60-t6-96301/)

atbass 04-30-2018 06:04 PM

Deep humming noise - 2015 S60 T6

Hey guys,

I've got this problem that I've been searching on for hours and can't find anything on it. I have this intermittent, deep humming noise that can also be felt with vibrations and seems to be coming from the left side of the car. It is very abrupt, random, and quick - maybe lasting 1-2 seconds - and does not not happen often. It is not a tire problem. I have been able to create the sound while the in park and pressing on the gas a little bit. I tried to get that on video so I could use that as a reference but couldn't get it to happen again. It happens at any speed and the RPMs do not seem to be relevant. I could put it in sport mode and get up to 6,000 RPM without it happening but then it go off twice in a row while just cruising on the interstate or at 20 mph downtown.

I have been trying to narrow down what I have been doing recently that could have caused it. I did just recently buy the car - have had it maybe a month. It hasn't happened until this past week. Before it began occurring, I filled the car with 87 grade fuel. I was unaware that Volvo says that these engines require premium (I should have read the manual). However, I have been researching that as well, and I can't find anything that says it could be seriously detrimental for the car short term. All I can find are videos that suggest spark knock could be a problem. It sounds nothing like a knock, tick, or anything similar to any video I've seen on that. It almost feels as though it's coming from underneath the passenger side. I'm definitely no mechanic, but to me it sounds like it's almost a pressure build up and being released. I've literally googled "sounds like my car is farting" and couldn't find anything like it. I was going to schedule an appointment with the dealership and see, but it's driving me insane. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out. I would greatly appreciate anyone taking a stab at it.

Thanks!

johnson2bs 03-03-2019 10:53 PM

Atbass

I have yet to find a solution, its been going on for about 8 months.

Does it sound like mine?

atbass 04-15-2019 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnson2bs (Post 471122)
Atbass

I have yet to find a solution, its been going on for about 8 months.

Does it sound like mine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjEhoAKr08

Yes! That is it. I haven't been able to figure it out either. Does yours only happen when you're above about 1/3 of a tank as well? Once my tank is below that, it doesn't happen.

nurse4hula 10-07-2019 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by atbass (Post 459309)
Hey guys,

I've got this problem that I've been searching on for hours and can't find anything on it. I have this intermittent, deep humming noise that can also be felt with vibrations and seems to be coming from the left side of the car. It is very abrupt, random, and quick - maybe lasting 1-2 seconds - and does not not happen often. It is not a tire problem. I have been able to create the sound while the in park and pressing on the gas a little bit. I tried to get that on video so I could use that as a reference but couldn't get it to happen again. It happens at any speed and the RPMs do not seem to be relevant. I could put it in sport mode and get up to 6,000 RPM without it happening but then it go off twice in a row while just cruising on the interstate or at 20 mph downtown.

I have been trying to narrow down what I have been doing recently that could have caused it. I did just recently buy the car - have had it maybe a month. It hasn't happened until this past week. Before it began occurring, I filled the car with 87 grade fuel. I was unaware that Volvo says that these engines require premium (I should have read the manual). However, I have been researching that as well, and I can't find anything that says it could be seriously detrimental for the car short term. All I can find are videos that suggest spark knock could be a problem. It sounds nothing like a knock, tick, or anything similar to any video I've seen on that. It almost feels as though it's coming from underneath the passenger side. I'm definitely no mechanic, but to me it sounds like it's almost a pressure build up and being released. I've literally googled "sounds like my car is farting" and couldn't find anything like it. I was going to schedule an appointment with the dealership and see, but it's driving me insane. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out. I would greatly appreciate anyone taking a stab at it.

Thanks!

Did you ever find a solution?

atbass 10-07-2019 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by nurse4hula (Post 478351)
Did you ever find a solution?

I did! It was a completely clogged EVAP canister. The dealership replaced it (roughly $600 cost) and I haven't had issues since. Also made the gas pump stop switching off repeatedly as I fill the tank.

nurse4hula 10-07-2019 08:28 AM

Deep humming noise

[QUOTE=atbass;478353]I did! It was a completely clogged EVAP canister. The dealership replaced it (roughly $600 cost) and I haven't had issues since. Also made the gas pump stop switching off repeatedly as I fill the tank.[/QUOTE

nurse4hula 10-07-2019 08:30 AM

Thank you

Thanks for the help. I tried to upload my video but I’m having technical difficulties.

mt6127 10-07-2019 11:39 AM

Try using the "go advanced" option when creating your posts - you have the choice of embedding a link (ie save your video to youtube etc) or uploading the file using the paperclip. Valid file extensions: apk avi bin bmp cfg csv doc docx ecu efi gif gsc hex hpl hpt html jpe jpeg jpg mov mp3 mpeg mpg msl msq pdf png pps psd rar table tun txt vex wav wmf wmv xls xlsx xml zip

urdrwho 10-09-2019 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=nurse4hula;478355]

Originally Posted by atbass (Post 478353)
I did! It was a completely clogged EVAP canister. The dealership replaced it (roughly $600 cost) and I haven't had issues since. Also made the gas pump stop switching off repeatedly as I fill the tank.[/QUOTE

A clogged EVAP canister on a 4 year old car seems odd. I've had many cars that were much older, a lot of miles and never had a clogged EVAP. Oh wait I did have a 1985 SIII jag that had a plastic EVAP can fall apart. The bottom just feel off and left a lot of charcoal looking stuff on the ground. Was it clogged or just died from exposure to the elements?

But yes a clogged system will shut off the gas filler handle because of the backed up pressure.

Newton55 11-03-2019 12:55 PM

Evap Canister P/N?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...798c5c889d.png
Cylindrical Vapor Canister
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...4d449674c4.png
Rectangular Vapor Canister

Hi Atbass,
I have the same noise & problem. Thanks a million for the video, diagnosis and solution. Do you know which evap canister was replaced? I found out there are two in my 2015.5 S60 T5 Drive E: Rectangular P/N 31405829 and Cylindrical P/N 31338102. Would be interesting to know if one or both of these components is the culprit. I suppose the cylindrical would have higher propensity for clogging as it is located several inches below the rectangular canister.

Newton55 11-03-2019 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=urdrwho;478415]

Originally Posted by nurse4hula (Post 478355)

A clogged EVAP canister on a 4 year old car seems odd. I've had many cars that were much older, a lot of miles and never had a clogged EVAP. Oh wait I did have a 1985 SIII jag that had a plastic EVAP can fall apart. The bottom just feel off and left a lot of charcoal looking stuff on the ground. Was it clogged or just died from exposure to the elements?

But yes a clogged system will shut off the gas filler handle because of the backed up pressure.

ATBASS,

Thanks for the super helpful thread. My 2015.5 S60 T5 has two vapor canisters as shown below. Do you know if the dealership replaced one or both in your car?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...805f9200b5.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...66c0e47b73.png