Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Design Flaw In front light group 2007 S 60

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Design Flaw In front light group 2007 S 60

What's wrong with this picture?

I just discovered, In order to replace the right front corner light bulb (amber lens) on my S 60 the front bumper and light assembly would have to be removed. According to the dealership that cost would be $110 for a $6.00 light bulb.

I find this absurd and irresponsible on Volvo's part to allow this design flaw to have happened in the first place. There should have been a recall concerning this matter and it should be the responsibility of Volvo to pick up this cost, certainly not the consumer.

Has anyone else discoverd this mishap

Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody has to finance those Garage Mahals also known as dealership service departments.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you consulted your owners manual yet??? Maybe you should have a look there before going to the dealer to change a light bulb....

Here is the instructions for you. Now, maybe you should go back to the dealer and tell them to **** off for trying to jerk you around and charge you for removing the headlight and bumper cover when all they would do is what's listed below.

http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...0_09.htm#pg182

Replacing bulbs

Turn signal, driver's side
Removing the defective bulb:

- Switch off the headlights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.
- Pull out the bulb holder by twisting it counterclockwise.
- Remove the bulb from the holder by pressing it in and turning it counterclockwise.

Installing the new bulb:

- Insert the new bulb into the holder by pressing it in and turning it clockwise.
- Reinsert the bulb holder in the headlight housing and twist it clockwise until it seats properly.

Turn signal, passenger's side

- Switch off the headlights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.
- Remove radiator pipe (1) from the box.
- Remove filler pipe screw (2).
- Pull the filler pipe (3) straight up.
- Remove vent hose (4) from filler pipe.

Installing the new bulb:
- Replace the bulb (same procedure as the driver's side bulb).
- Ensure that the seal between the washer fluid reservoir and the filler pipe is correctly positioned.
- Press the filler pipe (3) back into position.
- Press the vent hose (4) into place on the filler pipe.
- Reinstall and tighten the filler pipe screw (2).
- Reinstall the radiator pipe to the box (1).

Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Default Design flaw

Whoa.....I appreciate the input however I did not say I had the dealer perform this service. I went to the dealer to find out " How does one change the side marker front bulb?" That's when he told me that Volvo screwed up in their design to gain access to the right front side marker bulb and that the only way to change it was to remove the bumper and headlight assembly. I don't know if the left side marker bulb requires the same.

I'm not talking about the directional signal it's the next bulb ( amber plastic lens) you can't even see it let alone get too it. This is one bulb that will never be replaced, not on my shift anyway.Oh ....by the way I do have an owners manual but thanks.

Check it out for yourself.... Oh, by the way hopefully the new owners of Volvo (China) will not repeat the same manufacturing flaw in their up coming models.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 PM

My mistake, you mean this one???

Replacing bulbs

Side marker light
- Turn the lamp holder counterclockwise and pull it out.
- Pull out the defective bulb and insert a new one.
- Reinsert the lamp holder and turn it clockwise until it seats properly.

Shouldn't be any harder to get to then the other light bulb. Maybe a long set of angled needle nose pliers will do the trick.

I'm gonna take a look at my S60R when I get home tonight from work to see for myself.

Either way, based on typical dealer behavior, I'm more incline to believe you dealer is trying to take you to the cleaner for a simple job.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Default Design Flaw

Yes...That's the culprit. Looks easy to get at from the diagram and maybe so in a S60 R but surly not in my S60 2.5T. I have worked on many different cars over the years including the classic muscle cars. When the cars warranty has expired I never...never...ever go back to the dealer unless the part I need is a dealer item only. While picking up a dealer part I just asked the head service manager, why I could not access that marker bulb. At that time he mentioned to me about bumper and headlight assembly removal. I'm sure you'll discover the same when you examine your S60 R closely. Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM

Mad Matt....Have you checked your vehicle regarding removal of side marker bulb? Remember this applies to the 2007 model S60 as it is in my application.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Nope, I totally forgot. Sorry. I'll set a reminder to to that when I get home.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Just looked at my car, and my headlight's don't have the same side marker light.
Try asking if there is an easier way to replace the bulb on SS.
Swedespeed Forums - S60 (2001-2010)

Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM

I consulted an Independent Volvo shop locally ( not a dealer) and they told me the exact thing the dealer told me...Removal of bumper and headlight assembly a must!
Thanks ... P.S. last Volvo anyway

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Are you displeased with your S60 other then this light issue?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 AM

There are several things that displeases me about Volvo but the most important to me is that the worlds biggest human rights violators,
( Communist China ) own this car company. And they will not prosper
by my support of buying another Volvo...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM

I have come up against this same issue. Worse, my mechanic broke the tab off the tiny bulb holder.

This is an inspection issue, so it must be resolved. An LED bulb seems to be the final answer for the remaining 5 years I plan to keep the car. (I keep them until they are 10 years old.)

Fred

Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 AM

I just had the same bulb go out on the drivers side on my 2007 S60. I found that I could replace it by removing the air cleaner box and it did not even require tools.

Simply disconnect the all the wires that are connected to the air box, open it, pull the air filter, pull the box, and you have access. I did remove the turn signal bulb to have easier access to the side marker light.

I am not sure if you could get away with this on the passenger side as the windshield washer reservoir is bolted to the body and some other things in the way.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I realize this is a couple years old, but the OP is an idiot. A recall is not something manufacturers issue because something is too hard for you to repair.