Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Detailing questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing questions

Hi All,

First time poster. Great site with some good info.

I have a 2006 S60 T5 Sedan in Silver Metallic with Light Tan seats and Oak carpets. I had a few questions in regard to products anyone has used with success in keeping their exterior and interior in great shape.

1. Cleaners and Conditioners for light colored seats. Are the seats on the S60 plastic/leather? (pleather) Is Lexol still the popular product?
2. Pre-wax, Polishes and waxes for silver color. Not too interested in the 1 step stuff, I don't mind putting in the work to get it done right.
3. Good rubber trim products.
4. Any other detailing related products or tips you have come across.

Thanks,
-DrumBoy

Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 PM

for the trim I have used Showroom New to redye the trim instead of just silicone that comes off as soon as you wash it. The stuff comes in black and gray. My S60 has gray trim all around and it has made it look like brand new. I redyed them like 6 months ago and they still look so great! Better than taking it to a detail shop where they wanted to charge me $150!

I bought it at showroomnewproducts.com

They have great customer service too!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:03 AM

Hey Drum boy, I have been detailing cars for over 10 years. I have used a lot of products that do a great job. I have used everything from 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove scratches from the paint to swirl removers. Most of the products I have used I have purchased myself to use on my personal car ('02 S60 T5). Products that I like the most are Maguiar's products (http://www.meguiars.com/). I personally stay away from their nXt products, but do love their Gold Class series waxes, paste or liquid. Another great product (that I think you can find at some local auto parts stores) is Zymol (http://www.zymol.com/zymolcreamewax8oz.aspx), I have used this product for about 8 years now, great paint protection. Pending on your current paint condition will decide on various products to use. And in some cases a series of steps may be needed to get it back into shape.

I use a silicone based product called Black Magic for my tires and (I am cursed with the black molding/trim around the car unlike your '05) and trim, it does a great job at keeping the black parts black.

As for your interior, I use Maguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, I have heard of Lexol but have never used it, probably a great product too. I work it into the entire seating surface, top to bottom. I do not use it on the back of the seat as this is not leather for wear purposes. I rub it into the seams and stitching. Use a liberal amount. Wipe away excess. This product does not make a shiny or slippery surface. One reason I love it! As for the rest of my interior I do not put anything on my dash or door panels (personal preference) as I do no like the glare associated with it. It looks greasy too. I use a micro fiber cloth and 'Hopes Perfect Glass' (ammonia free, found at Lowe's) to wipe down everything as this breaks down grease and grime and the cloth does not leave lint. Do not use ammonia based glass cleaners with tinted windows. I wash the floor mats with a HE laundry detergent (low suds) and let sit for a while and then scrub them with a stiff bristle brush. For heavy soiling use Resolve carpet cleaner and scrub in. Rinse well, and 'comb' the carpet with the brush in one direction so when they dry all the carpet is in laying in one direction.

I could go on all day about various ways to keep your car looking great...feel free to PM me with any questions.

Matt