Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Disc Rotor resurfacing (urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Rotor resurfacing (urgent)

I hope you have time to read this.
I have a volvo S60 2004 , 37k miles, 2.5T. Well a month ago I took the car to the dealership in Volvo to get the brakes checked, apparently they only had 1-2mm of pad left. So stupid me, went to Sears to get them replaced (fyi my brother had warned about taking it to Sears) , the representative went on a long explanation as to why the rotors needed to be resurfaced, and I clearly told him I did not want that, just brake pad replacement, and I inspected the rotors myself and there was a small lip on outer and inner edge of rotor, but felt smooth in the middle, plus I get not pulsations or any of that crap. So we agreed on no resurfacing.
When I drove the car before the service, there was little travel on the brake pedal and it felt as if the pads had no wear at all, well before I even set the stick to drive, the pedal fel mushy or spongy, the mechanics had left for the night so I called the rep who was still there incidentally, and i told him what happened. He pretty much gave me another explanation about the physics of resurfacing and why it needs to be done (im a aircraft mechanic and physicist I know how this crap works!) and he pretty much blamed me for not having the resurfacing job done, well my thought was: Because I did not have the resurfacing done, my brake pedal is all smushy?? The rotors were perfectly fine, he said the mechanic did not mess with the brake fluid or anything like that, which Im doubtful of.
Please, I need some opinion here, Im going to call him back tomorrow 04/01.
Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably just have some air that needs to be bled from the lines. IMO, bleeding the brakes should be included in the brake service.