Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Downpipe size vs. performance vs. price

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Downpipe size vs. performance vs. price

I have been looking at two different downpipes for the s60r. Most aftermarket pipes are 3" in diameter. For example:

High Flow Downpipe

However, elevate offers a 3.5" downpipe which tapers to 3" at the cat.

ELEVATE Volvo S60R 3.5" Downpipe | Elevate Cars

Elevate claims the most performance gains, but they also charge about $250 more for their downpipe than IPD and others [EST as well, I believe].

How much extra "performance" is gained by the extra .5" in Elevate's downpipe diameter? Will it significantly lower the spool time compared to another 3" option? Is it worth the extra green?

Would love to hear from anyone with hands-on experience with any of the aftermarket pipes, but I welcome all replies

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fallenfenix87
I have been looking at two different downpipes for the s60r. Most aftermarket pipes are 3" in diameter. For example:

High Flow Downpipe

However, elevate offers a 3.5" downpipe which tapers to 3" at the cat.

ELEVATE Volvo S60R 3.5" Downpipe | Elevate Cars

Elevate claims the most performance gains, but they also charge about $250 more for their downpipe than IPD and others [EST as well, I believe].

How much extra "performance" is gained by the extra .5" in Elevate's downpipe diameter? Will it significantly lower the spool time compared to another 3" option? Is it worth the extra green?

Would love to hear from anyone with hands-on experience with any of the aftermarket pipes, but I welcome all replies
My suggestion is go over to Ebay(03-07 VOLVO S60R CAT DELET OBX TURBO DOWNPIPE DOWN PIPE | eBay) buy the OBX catless R 3" pipe. If you decided to have some one weld a Mangnaflow cat in you are at
$150 PIPE
$100 Cat
$100 labor
$350 and you have an as good Pipe. I along with many others run the pipe Catless using an 02 spacer and No CEL are triggered.
Also while adding the DP will add 3-4 hp You really need to invest in a tune from Rice to get any real performance gains.
Swedespeed Forums - OBX Downpipe

GL

Old 11-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I'm just doing my homework at this point, finding out what has worked for others. Definitely planning on a tune as well, and will probably end up doing the downpipe and tune all at once next summer.

Have you been pleased with the OBX pipe quality?? $150 is a ton cheaper than the competition. Sometimes when something seems to good to be true...it is! Did it fit well and line up with the factory parts pretty well?

Also, I'm in VA and have to pass emissions, so I assume I can't run catless

Thanks for the input and info! You might have saved me a bunch of cash.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Yeah, I'm just doing my homework at this point, finding out what has worked for others. Definitely planning on a tune as well, and will probably end up doing the downpipe and tune all at once next summer.

Have you been pleased with the OBX pipe quality?? $150 is a ton cheaper than the competition. Sometimes when something seems to good to be true...it is! Did it fit well and line up with the factory parts pretty well?

Also, I'm in VA and have to pass emissions, so I assume I can't run catless

Thanks for the input and info! You might have saved me a bunch of cash.
The pipe fit with no problems. There is a thread over at Swedespeed that has 50+ post from users and i think 1 or 2 may have had an issue and that was with how that Pipe fit/difficulty installing.
As far as the Emissions test i live in MA and we also have this But as long as they do not get the car on a lift to look for the Cat using a 45% O2 spacer keeps the car from throwing a CEL.
I am in the process of having a CAT welded in (magnaflow 59959 high flow cat) Cost $100 at AdvancedAuto and local Muffler shop said $75 to cut the OBX and weld in the Cat. Even with that im still way ahead on $$. That is $325 all said and done as long as you do the install yourself. Not bad for a 3" downpipe.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 PM

Yeah, that is sounding really nice. Is their accompanying exhaust system good too?? Both together are a great price on Ebay, and if I get the one, I might as well as get the other [was planning on upgrading the exhaust anyways :P ]

Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Yeah, that is sounding really nice. Is their accompanying exhaust system good too?? Both together are a great price on Ebay, and if I get the one, I might as well as get the other [was planning on upgrading the exhaust anyways :P ]
I have the whole setup also. For me having an S60 AWD Non-R i had to use the R exhaust . Obx only sells FWD and R . So for me the fit of the exhaust was only OK, The duel tips do not fit right for my car but as far as the sound i have no problems with Drone. But there are other that think its to loud> I do not find this to be an issue. Ill make a clip over the next few days and post it so you can hear the exhaust tone at idle and while driving. Ill make one from inside driving and one while outside. Check back...

Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Sorry to keep asking questions :P. How does the OBX do on rust and corrosion resistance?

And while I am interested in making the R sound good, I'm more interested in the performance aspect and reduced back pressure. Would I be better off getting just the downpipe and having a custom exhaust put on? A coworker's friend is a master welder and does custom exhaust work on the side. I've been thinking a dual 3" exhaust would look good on the R.

Again, though, this is all just me thinking out loud and I haven't priced out a custom exhaust in rust-prone VA.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Sorry to keep asking questions :P. How does the OBX do on rust and corrosion resistance?

And while I am interested in making the R sound good, I'm more interested in the performance aspect and reduced back pressure. Would I be better off getting just the downpipe and having a custom exhaust put on? A coworker's friend is a master welder and does custom exhaust work on the side. I've been thinking a dual 3" exhaust would look good on the R.

Again, though, this is all just me thinking out loud and I haven't priced out a custom exhaust in rust-prone VA.
If you have acess to someone that is a master welder then 100% yes go with custom.The reason i was talking about sound is there are a few set ups out there that you have to be careful about.Doing custom this is also a concern. The dreaded DRONE is something that for myself i unbearable to have happen. I had a S80 that my brother put an Exhaust on and at 2500rmps+ the car drone sound was awaful and highway driving was to the point where the raidio had top be at 10 to dround the sound out. The best way to do the exhaust is always 3" from the turbo back with as little restriction as possible.So like you said just thinking out loud. The OBX Downpipe for sure with a HiFlow cat welded in.That will keep the Earth happy. Then custon build a 3" downpipe to something like this Eurosport Tuning: Replacement Sound Pipe Thats cost 50% more that a custom shop would change. Then in to a Magnaflow muffler to a dual 2 1/2" pipe setup sound great.
Now back to OBX i have had the setup for a year. No noticeable wear/rust but with that said i also am expecting the Exhaust to last as long as i have the car 3-4 more years. So if i was to guess with the feel,weight and finish on the OBX material(steel) 5-6 years+- i feel is worth the price and i don't think that's pushing it.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM

You have been a wealth of information, MYS6T. Thanks so much. I'll update this thread as things progress over the weeks/months. If anyone else has info, experience, hints, or tips, I'd love to hear them as well [or share your really cool exhaust setup pictures ]