Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Fuel Filler Door Won't Open (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/fuel-filler-door-wont-open-31829/)

Kim_in_Alaska 06-28-2009 03:28 PM

Fuel Filler Door Won't Open

Hello, All. I am new to the forum. I am just a housewife trying to figure out why my fuel filler door won't open on my 2002 S-60. I have replaced the fuse. Can anyone tell me what else I can try? Thank you!

Kim_in_Alaska 06-28-2009 03:33 PM

Also, I think it might be the relay, as that would be the next logial thing to me - I see the dash panel pops out - but can't figure out how to pop it out without breaking it!

rspi 06-28-2009 04:25 PM

Not 100% sure but my 850 has a pin that goes through a lever on the door. Maybe it is getting stuck because the lever is bent or something. Put a little pressure on it (in pressure) then have someone push the release then let it go and see if that will help it get un-stuck.

Once you get it open, you may want to leave it open until someone fixes it.

Kim_in_Alaska 06-28-2009 07:03 PM

Well, that was a good suggestion, but it didn't work :( Is there a way to pop it open manually so that I can temporarily get gas??? Thank you so much!

Kim_in_Alaska 06-28-2009 07:05 PM

I mean feul! Ha ha ha! Don't want gas!!! :p

Kim_in_Alaska 06-28-2009 08:49 PM

Well, I popped it open through the trunk so I am able to get it open. I think it is the little motor there in the back right next to the release. It looks like it just pops out.....Yeah! I think I figured it out!

Harley15 12-21-2009 06:38 PM

Fuel Filler Door Won't Open

This happened to me while out of state on a business trip. Thank goodness I had enough gas to get me to a local Volvo dealership and they were able to help me by doing the following.

1. Put your key in the driver's side door and turn it to the left TWICE.
2. Then turn the key to the right TWICE.

According to the gentleman at the dealership, these two steps "reset the system" and I was then able to push the release button and the door was unlocked.
It has happened to me more than 3 times since then and doing the previous steps fixes the problem every time.

I hope this will work for everyone who comes into this unfortunate delimma.

mcleantmw 12-27-2009 12:55 PM

As you discovered, there is a pull cord in trunk next to the filler door that will manually release the door. I replaced fillor door lock unit on my 2004 S60 recently. When you drive the vehicle, the filler door lock is supposed to lock and the release button is supposed to release the lock unit. Since you released the lock manually, check to see if the door relocked when you drove the vehicle. If it didn't, it could be the lock motor is defective and needs replacement. If it did relock, and the release won't work, then it's some other problem with the electrical system that releases the lock motor.

kld1215 05-21-2013 10:15 AM

Worked Perfectly !!!

Worked Perfectly !!! Thanks

Originally Posted by Harley15 (Post 197695)
This happened to me while out of state on a business trip. Thank goodness I had enough gas to get me to a local Volvo dealership and they were able to help me by doing the following.

According to the gentleman at the dealership, these two steps "reset the system" and I was then able to push the release button and the door was unlocked.
It has happened to me more than 3 times since then and doing the previous steps fixes the problem every time.

Lulumike 09-01-2015 09:22 PM

didn't work for me. Was it an 850?

Lulumike 09-01-2015 09:34 PM

OK, the manual pull wire in the trunk worked! Thanks.

Lulumike

Sue McKenzie 06-30-2018 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Harley15 (Post 197695)

THANK YOU!! We were not fortunate to have enough fuel to get to a dealer and desperately needed to get our locked fuel door unstuck. This worked immediately and saved us. Your nearly ten year old post was our life saver 😊

David Carlo 05-15-2020 09:57 AM

That worked! Not only did it help open the fuel door but the back passenger would not open when unlocked. This solution also worked for that - after a few years of not being able to open that door - it started unlocking again. Thank You!!

raiderpat 07-03-2021 12:13 PM

This worked!!!! Wish I read it before I took the car apart...LOL

Thanks!!!