Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Fuel Injector Clearner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Injector Clearner?

Is it safe to use fuel injector cleaner in my 05 S60?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM

I don't see why not. I am pretty sure there's nothing special about the EFI system that would make it a bad idea to use fuel injector cleaner.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Great, thanks. I think I'm going to pick some up today and give it a try. If anyone has a different opinion, please let me know.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Desert S60 T5
Great, thanks. I think I'm going to pick some up today and give it a try. If anyone has a different opinion, please let me know.

Before you put anything in there, though, look at reviews. You might want to run stuff like STP injector cleaner or some other specialized cleaner, but I've heard that Seafoam (1/3rd a pint in one tank of gas) does a pretty good job, too. and you can use the other 2/3rds of a pint that you get to seafoam the rest of your car (intake + crankcase as well, there's a good guide on how to do this on TurboBricks, but it's down right now).

You can get Seafoam around my parts for $8/can, not bad considering it'll treat three tanks of gas (you only need to treat it once and it'll last a long time), or you can clean injectors, cylinders, and crankcase.

-Mike

edit\\ yeah but whatever you run, make sure to look up reviews and stuff first so you don't get gypped.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally use either redline complete fuel system cleaner or shell v-power cleaner..
truth is some is better than none though..

Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys... I got some Lucas injector cleaner, but I haven't used it yet. I'm going to go check out some reviews to see what people are saying, but I agree.... something is better than nothing.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've used Chevron Techron in Hondas, Toyota, GM, Harley Davidson (f.i. version) and Volvo without ever having any other fuel injection service. Its not cheap, but it seems to do the job. Pour bottle into nearly empty tank, fill tank, drive. Somewhere (not here) somebody was recommending against f.i. cleaners on the theory that the crud they remove ends up in the catalyst. I don't agree as not too much organic material would last too long in the catalyst.

The real purists would clean the injectors by removing them and cleaning the nozzle with something like brake cleaner and a fine brush. Me? Too lazy w/o indication of specific injector problem.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a fuel system service was recommended on the S70. Is it on the S60? The shop I bring my car to uses the BG fuel system treatment.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seafoam treatment works really well. I do the "water torture" style of seafoaming and it works great every time.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM

This is the second time I have heard about "seafoaming" in the last couple of days, so I may have to look into that. I hadn't heard of it prior to talking about this situation of mine, but it sounds like it has given people good results. Thanks for all your replies!

I suppose I could take the injectors out and clean them by hand, however, time is so limited in my life these days that I simply don't think I would have the ability to take my car out of the picture for a little while as I pull the fuel rail off and hand clean each injector. I'll go with the bottle of Lucas F.I. cleaner that I picked up and see what difference it makes.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Honda dealer is always pushing me to buy a BG fuel injection cleaning even though there are not FI symptoms or complaints from the customer, me. This is the same shop that used to use some sort of "oil life extender" without being asked (even though it was happy to charge) for a vehicle hiway driven that had regular oil changes at 3500 mile intervals.

Seafoam was originally developed for marine applications. Hence the name. The company has a website. I understand its quite an old-style product and the standard operating procedure is 1/3 bottle in the crankcase, 1/3 bottle in the gas tank, and 1/3 bottle sucked through the intake system. The HD boys have discovered it and its getting quite a following among those gearheads. Never used it myself as its not regularly available at the chain stores where I shop for such items.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want to know about fuel cleaners etc run a quick search on www.bobistheoilguy.com and you will find no shortage of reviews on seafoam etc..

i happen to have a stash of vpower, got 2 bottles for $1 after rebate a few months ago, so i stocked up! techron is supposed to be one of the best as well...
I use it every oil change (and premium fuel of course) but honestly, i dont think it makes much of a difference with already clean injetors.. maybe if i left it to get diry id feel a difference..
avoid oil additives in this car.. especially things which promise increased oil life etc..dont see any risk with fuel though..