Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Got it back from the body shop... couple ??? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/got-back-body-shop-couple-9193/)

MTNBKR 12-21-2006 09:58 AM

Got it back from the body shop... couple ???

OK, so I just got my 02 S60 AWD back form the body shop after about 8 weeks. (see thread "car vs. deer round 1"in the photos forum)Close to $12K of damage repaired. I have a couple of questions though.

First: The turbo whine seems excessive now... especially under harder acceleration. Almost seems to be a secondary whining noise, like maybe a vacuum leak. I returned it for an overnight stay and they told me the hoses to the intercooler were loose, so they "fixed" it. The noise is obviously still there. Anyone know where I might start looking to identify the source? I can't really reproduce the noise unless its being driven (ie. won't do it in the garage).

Secondly: Prior to the accident, the car only had plastic inserts where the fog lights were. Now, there are actually fog lights in those spots... which is nice, but I don't have a switch to turn them on. My questions is, can I just replace the panel that should have the fog light switch with one that does have the switch, and be able to use the lights? Basically... is the wiring already in the dash for the lights, or will I need more than just the switch to make the fogs work? If i can just replace that panel, how difficult is it to remove? Does the dash cover need to be removed to get the panel off?

Thanks for any helpful responses,

Adam

tech 12-21-2006 08:53 PM

RE: Got it back from the body shop... couple ???

1. Not sure inspect everything really good.
Sounds stupid but make sure there is an air filter in the air box.

2. You will need the switch,Relay,fuse then have the Dealer download the software to make them work.

MTNBKR 12-22-2006 10:19 AM

Excellent... thanks for the reply.

MTNBKR 12-27-2006 09:25 AM

Well, there is a filter in the air box, and the noise is still there...the soundalmost sounds like when you have a ground loop and get alternator whine through the speakers, but that's not what's happening. It is however RPM dependant, and I cannot hear it unles the vehicle is in gear. I'm really getting worried about this because I know turbo's can be very sensitive. I don't know if it's sucking unfiltered air or maybe being starved for oil that's causing the much more audible whine that what it used to have. Additionally, it seems worse (louder) when it is cold.

Also,it looks like they routed the vacuum line for the brake booster (at least that's what I think it is) incorrectly. They have it coming straight off the firewall into the manifold, but there looks to be way too much hose for that to be the correct routing. From what I could tell, it is supposed to go under the fuse box, then down between the airbox and the fender and around to the manifold. Can anyone confirm this?I wish I had another S60to compare with.

tech 12-28-2006 10:05 AM

Maybe a hole in one of the hoses for the intercooler.

I forget which way the line will run.

lbrockman 12-29-2006 06:19 PM

I just added Volvo fog lights to my car, and all I had to do was to add a Relay into the proper location on the driver siderelay box near the pedal, put a fuse in position 18 of the driver side fuse panel (near the dash), have the software added, and change the button and clear 'fiber optic' piece next to the rear fog light switch. The switch is in there, it is just inactive until you get the button, fiber optic piece, fuse, relay, etc. I think these are the part numbers:

Button w/ fiber optic piece (probably) # 8691533
Relay# 9441161
Fuse is a 15 amp ATO type
Software # is: 8619399 (Give or take $40.00 + labor)

The fog lights really are nice to have - it's worth it to have them..

- Lynn

notny41 12-30-2006 03:09 AM

where did you get your lights from and what did they cost you?

MTNBKR 01-02-2007 09:21 PM

Thanks Lynn... Those part numbers will help.

Adam

grand94jeep 01-05-2007 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

2. You will need the switch,Relay,fuse then have the Dealer download the software to make them work.
I don't get the dealer download thing. I have the factory switch wired on my dash and I was replacing a few bulbs in the rear when I noticed a few open slots. I put new bulbs there figuring they were rear facing fog lamps. Sure enough when I hit the fog light button the rear fogs come on. So if its got power to the switch and the wiring is there for the front....why do I have to pay the dealer for a download program??? I figure this is to tell the car to switch off the fog lights when you turn on the high beams. I want mine to stay on all the time with the switch (ie.high and low beam) because I drive over 110 miles a day...mostly at night and I want all the light I can get. Seems like a dealer ripoff to make money. I realize there may be legal reasons for this download, but if I want them to stay on all the time...do I really need it?

tech 01-06-2007 12:27 PM

You have one Rear fog light from the factory on all cars.
The front function is usually turned off if it wasn't a factory item.
I don't think there is anyway to make the lights stay on with the highbeams unless you wire them yourself.

grand94jeep 01-06-2007 05:08 PM

I see.. I actually put a second rear facing bulb in when I replaced the other one. Just popped out the little plastic retainer a in it goes. I guess I may wire the myself.