Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Help please. Bad milage after plugs and 1 new coil.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please. Bad milage after plugs and 1 new coil.

Ok, my #2 coil died on me 2 days ago. It put up 2 codes on my ODB2, one saying #2 was dead (I tested, it was right) and another saying something about my mixture. Needless to car the car runs like crap

I took this part failure as an opportunity to install some new plugs. So, in went the new Botch platinum plugs. I replaced all 5 plugs. And reinstall there individual coils, as well as a brand new Botch coil for my #2 cylinder. The car them proceeds to start normal, and runs pretty good, not great, but good. It still feels week when accelerating and the check engine light is still on.

I then put the ODB2 reader back in and cleared out the 2 codes, and sure enough the car is running like its old self again… Cool!

Now… My car seems to be eating gas at a higher rate. I have only driven like 50 miles on it, so I can’t be certain, but it just feels like it draining faster…

Few theories I have…
-Spark plugs too tight, I didn’t know they needed to be torque
-87 octane, I cant be sure but my wife was the last one to put gas in my car. I normally use 91, she doesn’t remember what she put in.. nice…
-When removing cylinder 5s plug it was covered in what smelled like gas, but was thicker that gas, not as thick as oil.. It was on the outside of the plug not the cylinder side.. at the time I chocked it up to flooding from the car barely idling right before all this.
-also, I cant tell but I think im getting knocking now.. it very faint…

Any thoughts?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help please. Bad milage after plugs and 1 new coil.

I'm personally not a fan of spark plugs other than the stock volvo plugs, I've seen too many problems with aftermarket plugs.

Bosch makes great stuff, so they might are probably good, others with first hand experience will probably back this up.

In the engine compartment fuse box, pull the fure that reads ECM, this will reset the fuel system parameters. The system adjusts mixture and ignition to keep the engine running properly, if you don't reset it after replacing a bad part, it may continue to run poorly until the system adapts to the new parts. Erasing the codes normally resets this, but I'm not sure about all code readers.

The code you had for fuel mixture may be related to the bad coil, but might be something else, like the MAF sensor. It could take a few days for the code to come back.

B

Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM

im sorry, I wasnt clear on the clearing codes. I only cleared the cylinder 4 misfire code the other code went away about 2 mins later.

I Will try resetting with the fuse.

Anythoughts on the gas smelling oil liek stuff on the #5 plug? My first thought was a head/plunem gasket But that would affect all the chambers no?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the oil cap seal is ok. I replace them at every 30k service. If they are leaking, the top of the engine can be flooded with oil. It's also possible that it leaked and was partially cleaned up previously.

B

Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: tripleb

Make sure the oil cap seal is ok. I replace them at every 30k service. If they are leaking, the top of the engine can be flooded with oil. It's also possible that it leaked and was partially cleaned up previously.

B
that makes sense, the top of the plug shouldnt be expoused to any fluid? At there is no gasket in that upper plug chamber to leak... must have been something that spilled down into it..

Old 10-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Damm, less that a one week later I lost my #1 coil... just died on me... I think this time I will replace the other 3 (one done posted above)

Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Ok, I ordered 3 new coils, so now I will have 5 new ones in the car...

ohh well, at least I wond have to worry about it, and I will have 2, used, but still working coils for backup. I think im gonna keep the tools needed to replace them, and the used working coils in the trunk hahaha.

its only what? a torx socket, socket wrenc, and a 12mm socket, ohh yea a flatheat for the intercooler tube (it in the way)