Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

How to adjust rear headrest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust rear headrest?

2001 S60. The rear headrests fold down when released with a switch on the console. My wife usually drives with these down for better rear vision. Sometime in the last few months she found that they will not lock in the up position. Since they are seldom in that position it is hard to know when this happened and if there was anything related to it happening. I've used a screw driver to prove that the latch works, locking and unlocking. Is there an adjustment that can raise or lower the latching mechanism so that the bar on the bottom of the headrest can make contact with the latch? I looked in the trunk but if the mount has an adjustment it is not obvious to me. How can I adjust the latching mechanism of the headrest? Thanks, Jon

Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Default headrest

Hi,

I am having similar problem with my 2004 s60. did you figure out how to fix the headrest so it would stay up ?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Adams
Hi,

I am having similar problem with my 2004 s60. did you figure out how to fix the headrest so it would stay up ?
No, you are the only one who has replied to my query. This forum doesn't seem to offer much in the way of help with body issues.

jon

Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. In the next couple of weeks I will take it to my mechanic. I will let you know what he does to fix it.

Rob

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We try to help in this forum when we know the answer to your problem. Undoubtedly no one has had the same problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jks2
We try to help in this forum when we know the answer to your problem. Undoubtedly no one has had the same problem.
do you work for volvo and are tying to gloss over this issue ?

I am new to your forum but in reviewing archives found two postings with the same problem --- so your comment that "Undoubtedly no one has had the same problem" is undoubtedly incorrect ! Suggest you ask your mechanics about this and provide some helpful information.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Adams
do you work for volvo and are tying to gloss over this issue ?

I am new to your forum but in reviewing archives found two postings with the same problem --- so your comment that "Undoubtedly no one has had the same problem" is undoubtedly incorrect ! Suggest you ask your mechanics about this and provide some helpful information.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
No I don't work for Volvo. I'm a moderator on this forum
No I'm not trying to gloss over the issue.
Since I didn't remember anyone else posting about this issue in the past few years I stated that probably no one else has had the same problem. Two posts out of the many thousand is not really a huge amount.
Had you searched prior then you would have found the posts and could have found your "helpful information".
Since I don't work for Volvo I can't ask my mechanics and provide some helpful information.
I can and do moderate this forum and try to steer people in the right direction when they ask.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Hi,

I apologize for the tone and comment of my earlier e-mail to you.

I was irritated by your comment that "Undoubtedly no one has had the same problem" when I did find two earlier postings with the same problem". It sounded somewhat patronizing but I guess you did not mean it that way. So again, sorry.

I absolutely agree that "Two posts out of the many thousands is not really a huge amount".

I did send messages to the two people who experienced the same problem and one of the people replied to me as follows, "No, you are the only one who has replied to my query. This forum doesn't seem to offer much in the way of help with body issues. jon"

Since no one is able to offer suggestions to fix the problem, I will take it to my mechanic and then let the people who posted the earlier problem queries know what was needed to fix the problem.

Best regards,
Rob

Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Default S80 Rear Headrest Removel or Adjustment

Has anybody run across the solution for removing the rear headrests in a late model S60, 70 or 80? Nobody seems to have found an answer on these forums, but there are lots of folks struggling with the problem. We know three other families that all own S series that are all in the same boat because they have multiple children. Can't figure out why Volvo - one of the safest cars in the world - would make rear seats that don't fit any of the high end child seats properly... Help! Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Well, I am having the same issue. Rear head rests will not go back up. The Dealer said they couldn't figure it out, but suggested I buy some new $700 headrests. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is a design flaw, and there must be a way to fix it without buying new ones. Any one have any ideas?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 PM

same problem....actually joined this site to find a solution.......bummer, really liked bonking people with the button. I guess all good things come to an end.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 PM

I'm not of any help either. I recently bought a 2002 S60 and can't put the car seat on the sides due to the head rest. Altho mine work ok and release or lock they are still in the way plus I can't put the rear strap and latch thru the bottom of the head rest to lock it cause the head rest bottom is on the top of the seat. My grand daughter is big enough for a booster seat but there's another girl in the oven so I'll have to put her's in the middle and the booster on the side. If there's a third grand child I'll have to sell the car I guess

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headrest issue

i have the same issue on a 2007 s60r. Can't find a solution other than Tasca.com might have a new one for $130 it looks like. Not sure if that comes with the leather on it or you have to swap the covers? I'd still like to fix it though... Feel free to chime in. Someone has got to know something on this.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Default S80 rear headrest

Hey, Ben...Et Al...

My 2007 S80 had the same issue with the rear headrest on one of the seats unable to reset in the upright position. My answer...there was a cracked racetrack-shaped trim around on of the the headrest posts. With a flashlight in hand, I found a piece of the plastic trim that was lodge in the mechanism that prevented the reset. Once I removed this piece of plastic with a flat head screw driver and needle nose pliers....EUREKA...all works well again. Good luck with your (all of you) situation.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Default 2007 s60

I had an issue with the rear headrests not staying up. After reading these threads and seeing issues with a pin, I decided to look at the mechanism in the seat, not the headrest.
It was the locking pin in the seat, a few squirts of WD40 to loosen up the sticking pin fixed it. Fold the headset down, reach into the seat and feel for the locking pins. Spray each side of the mechanism with a bit of WD40 and it will loosen up the sticking pin. Works fine now. Goes down with the button on the dash and lock when I push them up.