Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Importing a S60 into US (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/importing-s60-into-us-5618/)

mingster 05-02-2006 11:08 PM

Importing a S60 into US

Have anyone here done the speedometer conversion from km/h to miles/h in order to import the car to US from Canada? one local dealer in US quoted $2300 for the conversion. Others said they will not do it due to technical difficulties. I have not been able to find someone who has done this on the S60. If you have any information on this one, can you please share this out?

thanks

MC

Nathan Kwan 01-30-2019 03:51 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone done this? I've attached the letter of compliance letter I got from Volvo. The part I'm confused about is what's a U.S. Type Warning Lamp Displays. Anyone have any ideas?

This is in response to your request concerning the compliance status/importation of the
above-referenced Volvo passenger vehicle from Canada into the U.S. According to our
records, this vehicle was originally designed and built to comply with Canadian and U.S.
EPA 50-State Emission Standards in effect on the date of manufacture.
The following modifications, except for minor labeling requirements, would be necessary to
bring this vehicle into compliance with U.S. DOT Safety Standards:
FMVSS NO. ACTION REQUIRED
101 Install U.S. Type Speedometer.
101 Install U.S. Type Warning Lamp Displays.

pierremcalpine 02-07-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan Kwan (Post 470006)
Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone done this? I've attached the letter of compliance letter I got from Volvo. The part I'm confused about is what's a U.S. Type Warning Lamp Displays. Anyone have any ideas?

This is in response to your request concerning the compliance status/importation of the
above-referenced Volvo passenger vehicle from Canada into the U.S. According to our
records, this vehicle was originally designed and built to comply with Canadian and U.S.
EPA 50-State Emission Standards in effect on the date of manufacture.
The following modifications, except for minor labeling requirements, would be necessary to
bring this vehicle into compliance with U.S. DOT Safety Standards:
FMVSS NO. ACTION REQUIRED
101 Install U.S. Type Speedometer.
101 Install U.S. Type Warning Lamp Displays.

I did this a long time ago. I think that refers to the symbol for "e-brake". In the US I think it's a big red "P" instead of whatever we've got up here.

For what it's worth, when I went down, Volvo quoted me a crazy amount at the time so I opted to take the DIM apart and replace the faceplate only with a miles per hour read-out (from a doner DIM). I then got the dealer to produce an invoice that said, inspected replacement of DIM faceplate to MPH. All good. In my case I screwed up in putting the needles back on and bent one of the spindles though - you need to be super, super delicate with those!

Nathan Kwan 02-07-2019 02:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing - i've already bought the MPH gauge and will need to install it. I'll definitely try to be careful! My understanding is it can be non-compliant for up to a year. The car's pretty old (2004). I figure if I drive the car for a year that's still pretty good. Out of curiosity, did you end up importing it at the border or after you crossed. I heard from a friend that they tend to be a little bit less strict outside of the border.

pierremcalpine 02-08-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nathan Kwan (Post 470282)
Thanks for the tip. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing - i've already bought the MPH gauge and will need to install it. I'll definitely try to be careful! My understanding is it can be non-compliant for up to a year. The car's pretty old (2004). I figure if I drive the car for a year that's still pretty good. Out of curiosity, did you end up importing it at the border or after you crossed. I heard from a friend that they tend to be a little bit less strict outside of the border.

If you are going to do the DIM yourself just make sure you get a bill from volvo EXPLIcITY calling out the DIM faceplate removal so that key words are present for paperwork.

i imported it at the border. Was a pretty straight forward process. I produced the letter from volvo Canada along with a bill from volvo (which they only glanced at quickly) that highlighted dim work/inspection and they gave it the stamp of approval.

Money thing to keep in mind is duty. If it’s a foreign made car and it’s not your first entry into the US for the purpose of establishing a residence they will ding you with a duty that is not that cheap. In your case, I don’t think this is gonna be a major factor. Good luck!

On a related note, be aware that if you bring the car back into Canada at a later date for the purpose of registering it back in Canada technically you are supposed to leave it with Customs (US I think) for outgoing processing. Don’t understand why but this was mentioned to me when we came back.

anne hendrie 09-24-2021 04:19 PM

Is that the complete compliance letter and for what year and model?
I have a 2003 volvo S I want to import to US but have no idea what needs to be done before I purchase the compliance letter. If I have to spend over $3000 it will not be worth importing. I have a digital readout in MPH and wonder if that is in compliance?
volvo will not answer my questions?