Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Just bought used V60 and have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought used V60 and have a couple questions

So I found a 2016 V60 about 2 hours from me and picked it up yesterday. My wife pointed out the issue but I wasn't listening as usual but It looks like the side trim was removed and replaced but not squared up properly. Is this maybe just a clip not holding it in place? Also, when i got the car home and had it on acc power to play around with the settings, I got a low battery charge message, I read this may need replacing in the forums. I have a 3k, 3 month warranty and wonder if this battery problem would be covered, they are closed today.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The failed battery on my 2015 CFO V60 was replaced under warranty in 2018. When that battery was declared dying last November, no additional replacement was offered. I'm still driving on it. According to the dealer, Volvo batteries are "custom made" by Interstate. I know Interstate only as a second tier supplier of gas-station-quality replacements.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pretorien
The failed battery on my 2015 CFO V60 was replaced under warranty in 2018. When that battery was declared dying last November, no additional replacement was offered. I'm still driving on it. According to the dealer, Volvo batteries are "custom made" by Interstate. I know Interstate only as a second tier supplier of gas-station-quality replacements.
so the bad battery may not be bad if youre driving with it for 4 months?

Old 03-15-2021, 09:45 AM

That is my current working hypothesis. I use my car infrequently. It will often sit unused for 3 or 4 days. On those occasions, if the weather is cold, I may get the "low battery" warning but it starts without issue and the warning disappears on restart even if it has been driven for less than five minutes. I have not checked the voltage. I miss gauges like ammeters, oil pressure etc. I don't know why we can't have that information. The data is in the system and with all the info on LCD displays, it would b a simple programming exercise.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:58 AM

funny I had the same issue with my last car, i would only drive it 5 minutes 2x a day for a local commute and it would never get a chance to charge up the battery. I have a trickle charger I would hook up every other day. I think you have to buy a racecar now to get the gauges of yesteryear lol.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:21 PM

I drove a Toyota SUV for a few years until the 10-12 mpg got to me (did a lot more driving in those days) Thanks to its truck heritage, it had a full range of gauges - I really liked that part. It was replaced by (in order) '03 V70, '08 V70, '15 V60. With the LCD implementation of dashboards these days, the driver could even be offered a choice of warning lights or a full instrument display.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Most modern cars have stop start now so you ECU monitors the battery , if you drive only short distance the battery will get a bit depleted but then it will show all sorts of errors on start , a good long drive or a recharge of the battery will solve that , just another problem with manufactures trying to get those impossible to get Fuel figures , I hate this stop start crap , unfortunately difficult to get rid off (disconnecting on your menu does not help) I am sure can be done but beyond me
Panel not fitting yes it is clips but just take it back as they are easy to break

Old 03-19-2021, 02:23 PM

The first thing* I do after starting the car is reach down and turn off the "start-stop." I prefer to have power available on my own terms. In addition, I really do not believe that starters/bendix drives have been re-engineered to have 20? 40? XX? longer cycle life than the pre start-stop systems (but they will, of course, last long enough so that failure will occur after the warranty has expired)

*I have searched the various menus and there is no default "off" option.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:25 PM

Its going into the dealer on Monday, I drove it over 100 miles, shut off the car, put it into accessory mode I and within a minute it gave me the low battery charge message. This would lead me to believe the battery is in need of replacement but I'm no volvo guy yet so what do I know. The rocker panel is cosmetic so its my issue not the dealers, Ill have volvo look at it on monday as well.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by clementsx
Its going into the dealer on Monday, I drove it over 100 miles, shut off the car, put it into accessory mode I and within a minute it gave me the low battery charge message. This would lead me to believe the battery is in need of replacement but I'm no volvo guy yet so what do I know. The rocker panel is cosmetic so its my issue not the dealers, Ill have volvo look at it on monday as well.
Well then its either a bad battery or the alternator not charging properly so get it checked as you have the 3 months warranty
The rocker panel , is it a bit short on the other end?

Old 03-21-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by richardkonrad
Well then its either a bad battery or the alternator not charging properly so get it checked as you have the 3 months warranty
The rocker panel , is it a bit short on the other end?
yes the rocker will line up, I just don't want to do it thinking it may be more entailed than just a quick 1/2" shift adjustment.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:49 PM

Great hope all works for you good luck , nice car

Old 03-21-2021, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by clementsx
yes the rocker will line up, I just don't want to do it thinking it may be more entailed than just a quick 1/2" shift adjustment.
I peeled the front of mine back on a high curb - broke the clip - my body guy fixed it with a self-tapping sheet metal screw.