Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Key Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Stuck

Hi Everyone,

I can't turn my key past position 1. I've read that the lock cylinder might be bad. Do you have any tips that will at least let me start the car and get it to the dealer? I've read tapping on the lock cylinder may help, but no luck.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM

I would recommend a locksmith. If you pry too hard and break the key, you'll need the locksmith anyway and it may cost even more to dislodge a broken key as opposed to removing an entire key that is jammed.

Best of luck and make sure you post with info on the results.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM

I had this problem with a different vehicle of mine and I ended up calling the tow truck and explaining that I couldn't move the key whatsoever. They tried and failed and had to take it to the dealership where I had a new ignition installed.

They say that people wear through ignitions if they have too heavy of keychains on their ring. I did not, but none of that matters now.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM

It's not actually stuck in the cylinder, I just can't turn it past the accessory position. After more research I've read that it may be the antenna ring, or the key may have lost it's programming. I don't think I can disable the immobilizer. I have another key at my girlfriends house that I'll try tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 PM

The ignition I was talking about, the key wasn't stuck IN it either. It wouldn't move from the original position. I would slide in and out only.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Lock assembly is bad.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM

I've tried wd-40, and tapping it with a hammer hoping to jar something back into place, but no luck. The other key didn't work either. The shift lock cable in the shifter column was out of place (I was able to shift from park with the key out), so I snapped that back into place, but no luck.

Luckily for AAA to at least get it to the dealer. I'm disappointed because I've only had this car a month. This seems like such an odd issue. I knew I should have bought the Audi instead :-).

Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Ok, not one to give up I dug a little deeper. On the other side of the ignition assembly, there is an electronic module. There's a screw missing, which makes me think something happened in this area before I got the car. Anyways, by moving that module in different directions, I got the key to turn; it must not have been seated in there right.

Another thing, those T-20's that attach the module to the ignition cylinder are supposed to be tamper-proof screws, and the 1 that was on there is not.

I'm going to order a new electronic assembly and install it. I'll take pics in case this happens to someone else.

Nick

Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

They not are not tamper proof screws. They are normal T-20 screws.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure what the deal is then. Maybe I jarred something back into place or something. I'm worried that it will happen again now.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Sorry to say it most likely will happen again.
The electrical part only fits in one way.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 AM

have you tried turning the steering wheel? mine does it every so often...

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Question Ignition key will not come out

My ignition key will not release itself - therefore, I'm unable to remove the key from the ignition. The key is in position 1 and remains there after entering the garage and I move it to position 1 to take it out, and it will not move. The car starts ok, no issue there. This appears to happens everytime the car is driven into the garage....and I have no idea why. If I park the care else where in a parking lot, most times the key will slide out. It has locked up 2 or 3 times in a parking lot - I back out of the parking space drive around and re-park the car - the key slides out. However, this does not happen when the car is put into the garage. I have tried the same as in the parking lot, drive around, enter the garage again - no action, no release. But, later when I try to get the key out - first time, it was release about 2 hrs after entering the garage. The second time, it took longer - and third time, it took even longer than the second time....the key was released around 11 pm. Is this a timing issue? Electronic issue? If anyone has any ideas, please forward them to me - the dealership wants an arm and a leg to correct this and $115 just for the diagnosis alone...

Many thanks,
Susan

Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Default Ignition key will not come out

Yes, I have tried turning the steering wheel - no luck...

Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

If it is a S60 the cable on the side of the shifter might need to be adjusted.
If it is a S70/S40 or older than 01 V70 check the shiftlock over ride button. If it is down a little it will stop the key from coming out.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Does the car come out of park without putting your foot on the brake, or with the key in position? That's what was happening to me and like tech said, it was the shift cable. In my case, the cable popped out of the clip that holds it in place.

Also, spilled drinks in that area cause the cable to stick.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 PM

I have a 2000 C70 with a similar problem. Half the time I need to push the
shift-lock over ride button or pry the lever out behind the shift ****.
What am I doing wrong??

Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JetCity
I have a 2000 C70 with a similar problem. Half the time I need to push the
shift-lock over ride button or pry the lever out behind the shift ****.
What am I doing wrong??
Your shiftlock micro switch might be bad. Or the button is stuck down a little. Or the shift **** button is bad.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Your shiftlock micro switch might be bad. Or the button is stuck down a little. Or the shift **** button is bad.

Thanks Tech....
Should I go to the bank prior to the dealership or can these be cured by a regular human...

Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Default Key Stuck - need a solution!!!

How to correct a shiftlock while the key is stuck in the ignition? Or would I need a new ignition?
Please remember, the key eventually comes out, sometimes right away, sometimes hours later....I know this sounds crazy, but if something is broken, the key would not come out at all. It is stuck in position 1 - once I moved the key to positions 2 & 3 and back to position 1 - the key came right out! I tried this when it became stuck again, no luck...my luck ran out this time...
With the dealership asking an arm and a leg to fix this, I have to find some way to correct this without spending a ton of money.
Isn't there a Smart Tech Guy out there with a solution to this problem? One tech guy said "this will happen again" - no kidding - I don't need a tech guy to remind me! He left no solution to the problem.
Require Mr. Smart Tech Guy to come an fix this!

Quick Reply: Key Stuck