Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Leak around feet

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak around feet

In heavy rain, water pours in above feet on front passenger side, yesterday it was so bad I had to bail the water out. Windshield was replaced in January, this started a few months later. I had the windshield checked out, no leaks were found but the tech resealed around it any way. This didn't help. My husband has cleaned leaves out from under hood/car. Any thougths, Please?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM

all i could suggest would be to check the seal around the door especially up around the top.....this seal is used for the purpose of channeling the water, it could be worn or have a rip/tear in the seal and that could be contributing to your issue....I can't swear to this but that seemed to be the problem with my parents toyota when they had water getting in the car and floor was getting wet!! hope this helps

Old 08-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the lawsuit against water leaks on volvos hopefully u get something out of it
to fix ur prob.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Default leak

Thanks to both of you. Regarding the leak around the door, was the water only coming around the floor, not the door?

I have been told by Volvo that the problem is probably stopped up tubes in the sunroof, which I have barely used. I am taking it in to try having those cleaned out. I won't know until the next big rain if it works!

Regarding the class action lawsuit, I understood there is no suit yet. Any ideas on how I can get more information?

Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by patsfn2
all i could suggest would be to check the seal around the door especially up around the top.....this seal is used for the purpose of channeling the water, it could be worn or have a rip/tear in the seal and that could be contributing to your issue....I can't swear to this but that seemed to be the problem with my parents toyota when they had water getting in the car and floor was getting wet!! hope this helps
Hope you got my reply, I am new to the forum and not sure if I did it the right way. Please let me know if you didn't, I will resend it.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Manu Noypi
Join the lawsuit against water leaks on volvos hopefully u get something out of it
to fix ur prob.
Not sure if you got my reply, I am new to the forum and just figuring it out. I understood there is no lawsuit yet, do you have info on how I can join?

Thanks very much.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jbreeden1
Thanks to both of you. Regarding the leak around the door, was the water only coming around the floor, not the door?

I have been told by Volvo that the problem is probably stopped up tubes in the sunroof, which I have barely used. I am taking it in to try having those cleaned out. I won't know until the next big rain if it works!

Regarding the class action lawsuit, I understood there is no suit yet. Any ideas on how I can get more information?

Thanks again.

I don't know how you can say it is not leaking around the door??? The leak can be coming in around the door seal because it has a tear in it or it is not in good shape, and your floor will get wet!!! If it was leaking around your sunroof you headliner would be wet....is your headliner getting wet???? do not waste your money taking the car to the dealer....take your garden hose and check for the leak yourself, go to whatever side of the car the floor is getting wet and put the hose at the top of the door and see if it is channeling down the door and out like it is suppose to, if the rubber strip around your door is torn or not attached to the door like it is suppose to you will get water on the floor , use your garden hose first instead of the dealer its much cheaper....hope this helps

Last edited by patsfn2; 08-09-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: information added
Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Default leak on floor

Oh well, the car is at a local shop now. I decided not to take it to Volvo dealership, they just charge more than local places.

The water comes in above my feet on the passenger side, but no where near the door. The tech and I looked around the door seal and didn't see any obvious problems there. The tech who replaced my windshield ran lots of water around the windshield and the sunroof, but I don't know if he ran any around the door.

Keep your fingers crossed for us and thanks.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM

one thing I can assure you is that it is NOT coming from your sunroof...if it were you would have a wet headliner and you don't....Can you actually see the water coming in the car??? if not then I am going to say it has to do with your door....no other way for the water to get in your car except the windshield or the door....the only other way would be if your floorboard was rusted and I don't believe that to be the case....volvo's just don't rust very easily.....I can tell you that in the case of my parents car the rubber seal around the door where it is attached to the car was in need of some silicone to keep the water from coming in they had a 2003 camry and water had come in the back passenger's door onto the carpet!!!! please let me/us(the forum)know what your mechanic finds...this could help someone else down the road...Sorry I could not be of more help!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks. This is so interesting, because almost everyone else I have talked to says there are "tubes" which are supposed to drain from the sunroof to the outside, when they become stopped up, the water runs into the car. I see the water coming into the car above my feet. It was mostly in the far right corner, but I stuffed it with a small towel, then I saw it coming in on the left, so maybe I diverted. However, the towel inself didn't get wet, so it is a mystery to me. If you search the internet, there is info about the leak around the sunroof. The only water comes in above the passenger side front floor, well below the dash, no water on the headliner, no water anywhere within the door frame.

I will post what the mechanic says when I get it back.

Another problem the car has had is that the right front window goes down automatically when I put it up with the button, as if it is sensing something in the way. If I hold the button up, the window stays up. I spoke to the tech about it this morning, he says it is probably a bad sensor, would be expensive to fix and as long as I don't mind holding the button in the up position for a few seconds to make the window stay up, it should be fine. At least I can tell from this that the guy isn't out to rip me off, he is certified by Volvo, so I am feeling hopeful, hope that isn't a mistake!

If he can't find my water problem, I will see if he has checked the door more carefully too, thanks again for your replies.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:20 PM

well please let me know what he finds out...secondly you can go to ipd and check for the window switch....is it the drivers side window switch that your having the issue or is it the passengers switch???? anyway you can find a switch and have it fixed if you so choose.....but google volvo s60 window switch and you can and should find the part pretty inexpensive(cheaper than the dealer for sure)

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM

I just picked up the car. The inner cabin air filter was totally clogged, the tech was able to replicate the leak. Apparently the air conditioner filter had never been changed, which ultimately caused the problem. I am not going to pretend I really understand this, but the printout says "found water leak from wiper cowl seal". His explanation made sense at the time, the clogged filter caused other leaks, and he sealed them. The part was a 16.07, total cost $100, 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for the info about the window, are you saying we could replace the switch ourselves? If the part doesn't cost that much, maybe he was saying the labor is costly??????

Next time we have a heavy rain, I will let everyone know if the leak is really fixed.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by jbreeden1
I just picked up the car. The inner cabin air filter was totally clogged, the tech was able to replicate the leak. Apparently the air conditioner filter had never been changed, which ultimately caused the problem. I am not going to pretend I really understand this, but the printout says "found water leak from wiper cowl seal". His explanation made sense at the time, the clogged filter caused other leaks, and he sealed them. The part was a 16.07, total cost $100, 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for the info about the window, are you saying we could replace the switch ourselves? If the part doesn't cost that much, maybe he was saying the labor is costly??????

Next time we have a heavy rain, I will let everyone know if the leak is really fixed.
glad to hear its fixed.....makes sense that the a/c contributed to the leaking in a sense....not sure why when you use the a/c you did not notice any type of dripping but Okay . yes you could replace the switch your self...not sure if you need the whole drivers side switch box or just the passengers side....maybe it would be best to find the part and have this gentleman do it for you if you feel he did good....if you have to replace the driver's side switch box it can be rather costly I think the switch is around $250 and upwards for the drivers side and I really did not check the passengers side switch....but you can also try ebay you may find the switch on there as well....please keep us posted about the leak! good luck-----Carlton

Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Default window and leak

Sorry, I forgot to say the window having the problem is the passenger side. I will check into the switch, thanks for the info.

I never had a leak from the air conditioner and the tech said it wasn't actually the air conditioner leaking, he tried to explain, but it was Greek to me. My filter, which he gave me, had never been changed and was so nasty, he said I would have gotten sick from mold soon! I guess I should have checked to the manual to see when it was supposed to be changed!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:14 PM

I had an '89 740gle that the door seal leaked from, all I did was silicone it back in place, that could be your problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Default volvo leak around feet

Thank you, but my problem turned out to be a very clogged air conditioner filter. The air conditioner was not the cause of the leak, I don't understand exactly, but somehow this allowed water from outdoors to come in under the cowel (I think). Some leaks had to be stopped up, don't know what the guy did, but he was honest and great. This week was the first serious rain since it was fixed a few weeks ago, I had a minor leak still and I am taking it back in today. The tech warned me about this and said he would fix it free.

If any one in Charleston needs a Volvo fixed, take it to Kevin's North Charleston Transmission on Spruill Ave,. ask for Maurice Green, he is Volvo certified. Twice he has told me not to bother with expensive repairs that were unneccessary, he almost has my leak fixed, I feel sure he will get it finished today!

Kevin MIddleton, owner of the shop, said Volvo should have checked that air conditioner filter during regular check ups and we should have been changing it regularly---I am bad about not reading all of this in the book, bought the car new in 2005 and had it serviced every time it was due. It has just under 90,000 miles, hope it lasts forever.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM

I have the same problem you describe, but more so. When it rains I have been getting water on the driver's side, passenger side and so much in the rear of my 940 wagon, that the rubber liner that sits on the trunk get full like a swimming pool.

A few weeks ago, I did a very thorough reaming out of the drain tubes from the forward corners of the sunroof, but that only seems to have made the problem worse, otherwise, I would have been more persuaded that the water is entering at the doors.

I will look at the doors, but what would make a substantial amount of water leak into the "way back" part of the wagon? I can see it dripping from the plastic trip piece above the far rear side window just forward of the tail gate hinge.

Bob Franklin

Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Default leak

Your problem is so much worse than mine. Don't know if you have followed my entire thread, but having my air conditioner filter changed pretty much fixed the problem (I don't understand why, but do know it wasn't because the air conditioner had a leak). Since it rained hard enough to tell if the leak was fixed for the first time last week, I had another slight leak, unfortunately the tech couldn't find the source, feels like perhaps the cowel was moved when my windshield was changed, but he couldn't replicate the problem. I sure hope you find yours and get it fixed.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM

have the sun roof drains cleared

Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM

The cabin water leak is a mystery to me. I have followed all the posts about sunroof drains and the leak remained after cleaning the drains. I have a v50 with a leak dripping at the foot of the passenger's side front footbox. It seems to be seeping out of the instrument panel bar around the threaded collar only when raining. I will look into the AC system, but have no idea how so much water could get into that collar.
http://homepage.westmont.edu/darnold...s/IMG_4266.jpg

Quick Reply: Leak around feet