Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Lifetime Breakpads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Breakpads?

I went in for an oil change last week and the mechanic thought that I would be an ideal candidate for flexing his acting skills on.....

Scene 1, Mechanic, enters the reception area walking slowly with his head down, looking at the ground. Raises his head and looks at customer sadly as he crosses over and sinks into vacant chair close to the customer, takes a drawn deep breath and, on the exhale says the line:

"Ma'am, we have a big problem....your front and read brake pads are in DIRE need of replacement"

The customer listens to the mechanic and calmly replies:
"Really? is that so? Take my wheels off and show me"

The dum *** shop actually takes the one tire off the front and one tire off the rear to reveal brake pads that are somewhere between 40 and 50% worn yet still tries to insist that the pads need to be changed. The customer doesnt buy it.

Question - 5 years ago as I was leaving Vegas to drive to Texas the Volvo Dealer tried to tell me the same thing, that I was in desperate need of new brake pads. I asked for measurements and balked at the information I received. I didnt get the brake pads then and am still driving on the same brake pads.

Are the the 2001's sold with lifetime brake pads? Will the rotors be the first to go? Or do I just have an incredibly light foot?

Last edited by sas80; 04-29-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its common that the brake pads needs replacement before the rotor but they both usually last very long.