Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Locking the keys in the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking the keys in the ignition

I found this from another thread and I plan on trying it. I live where it's cold and I need to let the car warm up for a time before I jump in and go to work. Anyone else know if this works? I have an 2001 2.4T.

Hi everyone,

I found one way I can lock my keys in the car with the engine running.
(WARNING: If you try this make sure you have the window open to get in your car )

1) Remove key

2) Stand outside with door open

3) Press lock (door latches will lock)

4) Sit in car and start engine (leave the door open/ajar, door latches are still down)

5) Get out of car with engine is still running

6) Slam door shut (Door lacthe is locked and engine running!)

If someone would try this even on a different car. I think the S60 has a minor bug in the logic with this mechanism. WHat should have happened in step 6 was for the doors to unlock when I slammed them closed since the key/engine is running. Maybe they have a software fix. I heard one more person getting locked out like this but they didnt know why either.

My only question is: Do the latches lock automatically if the car has no key (and doors were open/ajar?).
If not, I may have by accident pressed the lock button (which I hate cause you never know if you will unlock or lock unless you take 10 seconds to think about it) and closed the doors without realizing it.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CASS60
I found this from another thread and I plan on trying it. I live where it's cold and I need to let the car warm up for a time before I jump in and go to work. Anyone else know if this works? I have an 2001 2.4T.

Hi everyone,

I found one way I can lock my keys in the car with the engine running.
(WARNING: If you try this make sure you have the window open to get in your car )

1) Remove key

2) Stand outside with door open

3) Press lock (door latches will lock)

4) Sit in car and start engine (leave the door open/ajar, door latches are still down)

5) Get out of car with engine is still running

6) Slam door shut (Door lacthe is locked and engine running!)

If someone would try this even on a different car. I think the S60 has a minor bug in the logic with this mechanism. WHat should have happened in step 6 was for the doors to unlock when I slammed them closed since the key/engine is running. Maybe they have a software fix. I heard one more person getting locked out like this but they didnt know why either.

My only question is: Do the latches lock automatically if the car has no key (and doors were open/ajar?).
If not, I may have by accident pressed the lock button (which I hate cause you never know if you will unlock or lock unless you take 10 seconds to think about it) and closed the doors without realizing it.
take the expert advice from a locksmith because no one here can explain you.

Last edited by Farrytom; 06-16-2021 at 11:02 PM.