Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

P-Zero Nero or Rosso?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-Zero Nero or Rosso?

Time to replace the tires on my R. Has anyone any experience with Porelli P-Zero Newo tires? Have been liking the Rossos, but am wondering if the neros are the way to go now.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had the P-Zero's but I've heard nothing good about them from the guys on SS. I have a set of Toyo T1-R's on my S60R and I really like them.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is SS?

Also, the rossos have done good duty for me, they provide an agility that I like a lot. I will take a look @ the Toyos.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Neither - both are garbage

Grab some Conti ExtremeContacts. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

(get DWS if it ever gets below 40 degrees where you are. If it does not, then get the DW)

Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by chewtoy
Forgive my ignorance, but what is SS?

Also, the rossos have done good duty for me, they provide an agility that I like a lot. I will take a look @ the Toyos.

SS= Swedespeed

Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 AM

First off, not a good idea to give advice like that in this forum (or any). N-spec will not cost you more for the same tire that is not N-spec (brand/model) but it may cost a bit more than a lesser tire.

If you want to dish out advice like that then caveat it with not driving your P-Car faster than a set speed so as not to ever have an influence based on your tire. But....and a big but, if you intend to EVER take your car to speed that last thing you want is a tire deemed not fit for that speed based on internal construction, tread compound, and tread design. Not only is it not reccommended, it is not "permissible". And don't give me the excuse that some of the lesser tires are Z and Y rated.

I find it funny that some of y'all will use a lesser non-approved tire to save a few bucks and compromise safety. So let's say you get a set of lesser tires installed for $700 versus $1000 and the lesser tire saved you $300. I'll even give the lesser tire the benefit of the doubt and let it last as long as the approved tire and let's say they both last 3 years. So you are telling me that saving $8 a month is worth compromising your safety? If that is the case, then start using regular unleaded and you will make that up. There is a reason most lesser tires cost less. They are inferior and more importantly last a much shorter amount of time. So, in time, it is a wash.

Remember, the ONLY thing between you and the road is the rubber. Buy lesser brands at your own risk. There is a reason there is a N-Spec rating system.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand about Pirelli tires in general, your car will stick to the ground as though it's on rails, but they won't last worth a damn.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 AM

I find it funny that some of y'all will use a lesser non-approved tire to save a few bucks and compromise safety. So let's say you get a set of lesser tires installed for $700 versus $1000 and the lesser tire saved you $300. I'll even give the lesser tire the benefit of the doubt and let it last as long as the approved tire and let's say they both last 3 years. So you are telling me that saving $8 a month is worth compromising your safety? If that is the case, then start using regular unleaded and you will make that up. There is a reason most lesser tires cost less. They are inferior and more importantly last a much shorter amount of time. So, in time, it is a wash.
Actually the BIGGEST reason that "lesser" tires cost less is that those companies don't spend gobs and gobs of money on marketing and motor sport sponsorships. If you were to debrand, cross section, and get chemical analysis of the compounds anyone besides the engineers that designed them would be hard pressed to find a difference.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 PM

I had no real qualms about the Rossos... expect they wore out quickly.

I have run both the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S and the new All Season tires and have been very satisfied with both. The All Season seems to run slightly quieter than the M&S.

I also concur with Bender's recommendation about the Conti Extreme Contact DWS... everything I've heard about the tire has been positive.

Both the P Zero Neros I referred to and the Contis are UHP All Season tires whereas the Rosso is a Max Performance Summer. There is also a P Zero Nero rated as Max Performance Summer, which I would stay away from.

The rationale behind recommending UHP All Season tires is that they offer very good performance throughout the year regardless of the temperature or weather... and the tread life is at least 50% better than the softer compound Max Performance and Extreme Performance tires. They also cost less. Bottom line; if you can only afford one set of tires/rims for your car, go with UHP All Season.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put a set of DWS on my wife's V70 t5 in 17". Just in time for winter as the OEM Pirelli's were down to about the wear bars. They have handled winter just great so far. They have a Z speed rating and a 540 UTG wear rating. Spent just under $700 at Discount Tire including the "warranty" for replacement if they go flat and can't be repaired. (The only extended warranty I ever buy). Includes lifetime rotation and balancing, too.

They also handle dry roads quite well. Not as stiff sidewalled as the Pirelli Scorpions, but that's really an advantage unless you plan autocross events in your future. Have about 2500 miles on them so far and they have performed flawlessly.

I recommend them for enjoyable, less worry, everyday driving. They saved me from buying a set of wheels for dedicated winter tires which aren't really necessary in Metro Detroit where deep snow storms aren't that common.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the good advice, all!