Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

gas overflow/splashes out AND adjust Steering Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HELP] gas overflow/splashes out AND adjust Steering Limiter

Hello every one, I am a new Volvo owner (just brought 2004 S60 2.5T, two weeks ago).
(The car has 100K on it)

The car has two small issues, if it is easy to fix, I am trying to fix myself.

The first issue:
Last week, when I saw the gas gauge is very close to E, I drove to a gas station and tried to fill some gas. I know the capacity of the gas tank is about 16.5 gallon, so I was expecting to see filling about 14 gallon.

The gas pump’s filling speed is normal and fast just like any other cars that I own. However, the pump stop/shut at 10-11 gallon (less than I expected), and gas overflow (i.e. splashes out) .

When I started the car, the gas gauge is above F which indicates it is FULL.

I have search “gas overflow/splashes out problem” in the forum and other sites, but could not find solution.
There is a person in the forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...nt-line-47525/) having similar problem (causing by spider nest), but he also has the symptoms of filling speed is slow and unable to fill the FULL gas tank. My filling speed is not slow and able to fill the Full Tank.

I am going to check the gas vent, but do not know where does it located at.

My questions for the first issue are:
a. Does anyone have any idea why the gas overflow?
b. Why it only 10 gallon make it full from E to F?
c. Can anyone tell me where the location of this gas vent/filter is?
e.g. in the trunk and under the carpet? Or under the car?

The second issue:
My S60 has 235/45R17
So when I turn the steering wheel, it will rub against the inside. After the search, it said that it needs “Steering Limiter” to fix the problem (as stop wide turn).
However, I cannot find on how to install the Steering Limiter.

My questions for the second issue are:
a. Are Steering Limiter on the wheels/rims or on the axle/steering?
b. Is possible Steering Limiters are lost when the previous owner install the new tires? Or the Steering Limiters are there, I just need to adjust them?
c. Where and How to install or adjust Steering Limiters?

Thanks

Last edited by tian6869; 10-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about your fuel issue.

The steering limiters are located on the lower control arms. Two small bolts hold them on to the front of the LCAs. They come in three (?) thicknesses; the thicker the limiter the sooner the wheel locks up. Over time they can wear out, but rubbing is something a lot of us live with. You can replace the limiters with parts from the dealer or one of the many online retailers (I think one of them sponsors this site). They are a really easy fix. Or learn how far you can safely turn the wheel and just don't turn it past it.