Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Question about replacing the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing the MAF

I have a 2002 S60 that has been having idle issues, drives mostly ok just sometimes idles high, and I am getting the error code P0068 "MAF/MAP Throttle Position sensor Correlation".

It seems the likely cause is dirty or bad MAF sensor. I plan to take it out tomorrow and try to clean it, but if that does not work does it sound logical that I should just replace it?

What I have been trying to understand is if this error code can come up for other reasons or is this likely the cause? I don't have easy access to a mechanic and the one I can get to is very expensive.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarksS60
I have a 2002 S60 that has been having idle issues, drives mostly ok just sometimes idles high, and I am getting the error code P0068 "MAF/MAP Throttle Position sensor Correlation".

It seems the likely cause is dirty or bad MAF sensor. I plan to take it out tomorrow and try to clean it, but if that does not work does it sound logical that I should just replace it?

What I have been trying to understand is if this error code can come up for other reasons or is this likely the cause? I don't have easy access to a mechanic and the one I can get to is very expensive.

Thanks.
The cleaning of MAF is a good place top start Please make sure you use CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner
You can buy this at most local auto part stores.Do not use throttle body or break cleaner or any other multipurpose cleaner.. The sensor in the MAF is very sensitive and if you are other cleaner the odds are you will destroy the sensor..
When cleaning remove it from the car . Cleaner is Very flammable. Removed from the car and stray the sensor from both directions with a generous amount of cleaner .Spray ten Electrical connection also.. Allow a few mins to dry the reinstall. Make sure that the MAF direction is correct and the plug is tight..

If you have to replace stay away from Ebay. The sensor are calibrated when installed in to the MAF .. The less expensive ones are not and will cause other issues. I know this from experience and a wasted $100.

Volvo Parts, BMW Parts, Audi Parts, VW Parts | FCP Euro Car Parts Catalog Use Volvoforums10 and you will get 10% off if you have to go the way.. Best parts site for our cars. Fast shipping and they carry OME as well and quality after market...
GL

Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM

I tried cleaning the MAF and used throttle body cleaner, sounds like maybe I should not have.

Anyway, made no difference car drives the same.

I'll pick up some better cleaner an d try again before buying a replacement, and yes I like eBay for other things but not car parts, I either go with FCPGroton or my local AutoZone.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM

By the way, what should the MAF sensor look like? The color of it is like dark dull gray almost like a burned out head of a match, should it be shiny or clear?